Tip Maitre di for a desired table

garardo

2 hours ago, Orator said:

Or he could simply contact one of his "friends" and have them get the table. I frequently contact an F&B Manager or a Restaurant Operations Manager to get us our favorite table. I do this well before the cruise date.

But I think what works for Zenith members is WAY different than what works for the rest of us😊

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

But I think what works for Zenith members is WAY different than what works for the rest of us😊

Perhaps so, but I had relationships with Staff long before the program was announced. It's about being respectful to you waiters and then may remember you as they advance. The OP stated that he indeed has relationships with many and  that's why he needs a fairly private table. I simply suggested that he make contact and see if they can expedite  his request.

6 minutes ago, Orator said:

Perhaps so, but I had relationships with Staff long before the program was announced. It's about being respectful to you waiters and then may remember you as they advance. The OP stated that he indeed has relationships with many and  that's why he needs a fairly private table. I simply suggested that he make contact and see if they can expedite  his request.

Agreed, it can work as well if you travel Celebrity frequently and get to know the staff.  We have been lucky to run into someone who was our waiter 15 years ago.  He is now a Maître d'.  We would definitely reach out to him if we were on one of his sailings (and in fact have done so and we keep in touch on Facebook, with him and several others).  But it does remain true IMHO that Zenith and for that matter high level suite guests get treated differently than the common cruiser.  Not saying they shouldn't, they've earned it, but I think it is true as a general statement.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, garardo said:

We always prefer a table for 2. The reason is I am a Certified Sommelier and we end up with the Cellar Master, Food and Beverage Director, and others visiting our table. We find that some of the 2 tops are only inches away from each other. I do not like to intrude in the space of other guests when we get visitors. Our plan is to patrol the MDR when we board and look for more of a secluded table  and request that table for the rest of the trip.   Would it help secure our table selection with a tip to the Maitre di. If so how much would be appropriate? 

Yes, we've done that as well. For us a $20 usually suffices. We'll do this if we can't get a table for 2 during early seating. It might take till the next night. If we get a "window" seat on our request, we might tip a little more. The Maître D is salary & does NOT share in the tipping pool due to their much higher standard wage.

Edited by keithm
additions

We always request a table for 2 in late traditional.  One sailing we visited mdr at embarkation and saw a card with our table number on a well situated table for 2.  When we returned for dinner that evening however our number card was now on a nearby 8 top.