Nieuw Amsterdam verandah cabins

pandapatch

4 minutes ago, pandapatch said:

Sorry we are new to this game is their location better or worse?

"Better" and "worse" are completely subjective.  HAL seems to believe that midships, higher deck are "better" locations.  I happen to disagree although many will agree.  Supposedly midships is more "stable" for those who are seasick.  I have never really noticed any difference.  Look at the deck plans for the NA online and choose what seems most convenient for you.  Personally, if it's hundreds of dollars less to be aft or forward, I would go with that. But that's just me.  I also like being near the elevators. Some people like to be near the dining room, or the spa (aft and forward, respectively)... it's all your preference.

Oh dear, we seem to have made a first time cruiser mistake and booked a guarantee. We are in UK and the cruise is the second part of a trip to the Rockies and that was the only option offered by our travel agent. We thought it would be Ok as we booked a VD guarantee and would have been happy with any cabin in that category. But we have been "upgraded" to a V cabin. I cannot see how HAL can think a cabin directly above a lifeboat is an upgrade!.

22 minutes ago, pandapatch said:

It  is indeed. Oh thank you for that positive thought. Will just have to look out not down!

You could call your TA and have them inquire if there are any cabins, even a VB, VC, or VD, that would be in a preferable location. The worst HAL can say is "no." 

Edited by fatcat04

Thank you, we did call our TA and she said HAL regard it as an upgrade. We fly to Canada on Saturday for the Rocky Mountain part of our holiday and I think it would be too stressful to try and change it now as it might not get sorted before we leave and then we would be stressing about it instead of enjoying our holiday. Have resigned ourselves and am sure we will have a great time anyway -  still don't understand how HAL can regard it as an upgrade though!!

28 minutes ago, pandapatch said:

Thank you, we did call our TA and she said HAL regard it as an upgrade. We fly to Canada on Saturday for the Rocky Mountain part of our holiday and I think it would be too stressful to try and change it now as it might not get sorted before we leave and then we would be stressing about it instead of enjoying our holiday. Have resigned ourselves and am sure we will have a great time anyway -  still don't understand how HAL can regard it as an upgrade though!!

Yes, you will. And I think the lifeboats sit far enough down, they won't be an issue. Have a great trip and cruise. 

11 hours ago, pandapatch said:

Not to worry I have stayed in one of these cabins and believe me I loved the location, that's why HAL charges more for these cabins and considers it an upgrade.  We did not mind the lifeboats below us, it did not obstruct our view except if you wanted to look directly below, not a big deal for us.  The location was really great, I don't think you will,be disappointed, we were in cabin 5106, loved it......enjoy your cruise.

Edited by doone
  • Like 1