Edge Sky Suite on Magic Carpet Track

cruiserj12

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding a review from someone who has stayed in a sky suite that is along the vertical magic carpet track. I would like to know how much it moves, is it noisy, and anything else you can add that will help us decide if the price difference vs. privacy is worth it.

Thanks,

J

There are 5  S3 (Sky Suite 3's are all inside Magic Carpet rails) reviews on the Edge cabin spreadsheet - 9200, 11160, 12152, 12158, 12160:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bFHV6Ax0FmbzTqHb1e6eCeLpGe9SEBZPJeJ4K472toY/edit#gid=0

Others have had threads reviewing their cruises in S3's and some have been happy and others no so much. My take on it is that those who are on decks 8-10 have liked their experiences more (and deck 7 had a good review). I personally would avoid deck 12 due to some reported noise, the Magic Carpet directly above you part of the time (with spikes hanging down) and no windows in the balconies on the end ones on that deck. Deck 11 has the Magic Carpet spikes in your view as well when the Magic Carpet is on 14.  Being on Deck 6 means your balcony will have some obstruction when the Magic Carpet is on deck 5.

It only moves a couple of times/day (some never saw or heard it move on a 7 day cruise in their S3's). I have seen it move and it takes 3-5 minutes, has a mechanical buzz type noise. Most people who have reported having it go by their cabin enjoyed the show.

There are some pictures and info on this thread post #8 - an update since that was written - there is now a large coffee table in the sky suites and the huge rocker is gone. You can have loungers on your balcony, if there aren't any when you arrive:

Hopefully some of the people who have been in an S3 will talk about their experiences.

Edited by vtcruising

Having sailed on the Edge in an S1, did see the S3 sky suites and wouldn't recommend them.  You have an obstructed view from your balcony and if the Magic carpet is just above your deck, you will experience noise.  Also, the layout has doors attaching cabins, so you might have noise from the next cabin.  If your family, you might not mind.

Unless the price is your main concern, consider an S2 or S1, on the opposite side of the deck.  In all fairness, this is second hand information and hopefully some of the S3 occupants will share their experience with you.  Also try reviewing the Edge cabin information postings.

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 5/24/2019 at 7:07 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Also, the layout has doors attaching cabins, so you might have noise from the next cabin.  If your family, you might not mind.

As do the S1 corner aft cabins, we never heard a peep from our neighbors when we had this S1 layout so I’m not sure it would be an issue on an S3.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

I was in 9200 and thought it was a great middle S3.  It was inside a vestibule so no hall noise, and we didn’t hear anything in the adjoining cabin.  It’s a good central location with only a thin pole obstruction on the balcony. We never saw the magic carpet move, and we heard something once that could have been it. I would not pay $1 more for any other sky suite location if this cabin was available. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I was in 9200 and thought it was a great middle S3.  It was inside a vestibule so no hall noise, and we didn’t hear anything in the adjoining cabin.  It’s a good central location with only a thin pole obstruction on the balcony. We never saw the magic carpet move, and we heard something once that could have been it. I would not pay $1 more for any other sky suite location if this cabin was available. 

Thanks, we are booked in 9198 and hoping we have your experience.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi,  We have 9198 booked for our Dec 15 sailing.  Have you sailed yet and is this a good cabin choice for S3?

Thanks

Sue

Sue, we don’t sail until January but I read vtcruising’s descriptions of the S3s and I’ll take her word it will be fine with no obstructions.  Also JFountaine liked 9200, the neighboring cabin.  Katie

Edited by Oville

IMO since you are spending so much for an S3- not that much more for an S2.  So much better- less noise- better view then having railings blocking your view- We did sail on the Edge last New Years and will again in March - S1 New Years- S2 March.

But that is just my opinion- enjoy your cruise.

• 8 months later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:00 PM, taylortime05 said:

Hi,  We have 9198 booked for our Dec 15 sailing.  Have you sailed yet and is this a good cabin choice for S3?

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue - how was this cabin?  we are looking at it for an anniversary cruise but wondered about adjoining noise.

20 minutes ago, kruzns4me said:

Hi Sue - how was this cabin?  we are looking at it for an anniversary cruise but wondered about adjoining noise.

It was great!   We didn't notice any noise.  The view was not obstructed.  We saw the magic carpet go by our room maybe 2 times.  I'd definitely select this cabin again and the price for S3 was so much less than the S2.