Golden Gate View - Suite or Deck?

ian441672

22 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

I just have to warn you that it is unbelievably windy and cold. Very cold. I thought it might be slightly warmer in May, but no. Also,  anyone with long hair needs to have it fully secured.  Any loose hair will be an absolute rat's nest by the time you get under the bridge! The first time we did this, it took my husband and I both working on detangling my hair for 45 minutes to get it presentable for dinner. 

I've had completely different experiences. Two sailings -- October and February -- and both very nice weather, especially the February sailaway up on the top deck. It's always dangerous to assume everyone else's experience will be exactly like ours.

Jim

High and aft for me. Even in July it can be pretty cold and up front you get the full cold blast plus you are taking photos into the setting sun. I like being aft with the sun behind you for photos. My preference is also starboard side facing Alcatraz. 

On 5/26/2019 at 9:20 PM, aimee0715 said:

We have done this twice on Grand.  We stand at the very front of the ship on deck 15 (or 16?).  We did it in November and we did it a couple weeks ago.  I just have to warn you that it is unbelievably windy and cold. Very cold. I thought it might be slightly warmer in May, but no. Also,  anyone with long hair needs to have it fully secured.  Any loose hair will be an absolute rat's nest by the time you get under the bridge! The first time we did this, it took my husband and I both working on detangling my hair for 45 minutes to get it presentable for dinner.   It's totally worth it, but you need to be properly prepared.  

San Francisco typically has its warmest weather in September and October. During the summer months it'll definitely cool down in the late afternoon, and Karl (the fog) could roll in. Even if it was a beautiful day earlier. 

The locals joke that you can spot a tourist in San Francisco because they're wearing shorts and a San Francisco fleece they hastily picked up at a souvenir shop because they weren't prepared for the cold. 🙂

I have sailed under the bridge several times with the last at night since we had a late departure.  I prefer on the top deck so that I have an unobstructed view of the bridge all before, under and after the ship sails through the Golden Gate.  No matter where on the ship one is, it is a sight to behold.

On the Star a few years ago (May 2014), I went to the deck above the ship's bridge.  Spectacular and a bit more protected than an open deck higher up, but still cool and windy, so dress appropriately.  I forget now how to access that place, but hopefully someone else on here will chime in with the "how".