cell service and texting rates while aboard Nieuw Amsterdam

horseymike

37 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Once again I call on fellow cruisers for help !

Does anyone know the cell voice service/ texting rates (sending and receiving ) while onboard Nieuw Amsterdam when the ship is not in port ?

such charges come from your cell service provider and would depend on your wireless plan and any cruise packages they might provide. It would help to know who your provider is.

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I have Verizon and if I am in Juneau I  don't get roaming rates for phone calls.  Other wise I keep my phone on Airplane mode do I can take pictures and set my alarm at night. 

Definitely keep the phone on airplane mode while on a cruise to avoid nasty surprises.  In port I turn my back on as I have international coverage

Edited by Mary229

Over the years, CC posts say allow $7.99 per minute for phone use while onboard.  If you leave the phone on and your location changes with the ship movement, a one minute charge will be incurred even though the update signal takes mere seconds.  On one cruise, I forgot to turn off my phone when leaving Juneau and incurred $34 charge in the eight hours it was on but not used.  I spoke to one passenger at a Neptune Suites party whose company required him to keep his phone on, and his bill for 7-days was more than $1200.