White Pass Railroad & Yukon Suspension Bridge

cynt

On the White Pass Railroad & Yukon Suspension Bridge tour my dad is not going to want to cross the bridge.  Is there a chicken exit, or does the guide walk the folks back down who do not want to cross the bridge?  Thank you. 

Thank you.

What does, "It's for a deck on the other side."  mean? 

This is what the overview says for the tour.  Does the motor coach/bus only stop at the suspension bridge or does it make multiple stops on the way back down to visit the tourist spots? Thank you.

Overview

Delight in Skagway's fascinating history and spectacular mountainous scenery as you travel to the White Pass Summit and into the Yukon. Ride a restored vintage rail car on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (“The Scenic Railway of the World”) as you delight to tales of the Klondike Gold Rush. Next, arrive at Fraser, British Columbia and board a motor coach across White Pass' summit to Tutshi Canyon where you can traverse the Yukon Suspension Bridge and enjoy the breathtaking view. SKF8

Never mind I read the highlights. Yes it makes other stops.

Highlights

• Admire breathtaking wilderness scenery while on an unforgettable journey on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, a narrow-gauge railway chiseled into a mountain during the Gold Rush.
  • Feel the adrenaline rush of crossing the Yukon Suspension Bridge, dangling 57 feet above a river roiling with class III and IV rapids.
  • Delve into the fascinating history of the region relayed by your informative guide, and stop for photos along the way at places such as Tormented Valley and Pitchfork Falls.

We just did this tour a few weeks ago. We took a bus up into the Yukon (saw no less than 5 bears along the way!) directly to the suspension bridge, then on the way back we stopped at the Yukon sign before proceeding to the train. The suspension bridge connects to decks on both sides of the gorge but there is no guide taking people across, so if someone got stuck on the bridge I'm not sure if there would be someone to help talk them back!  My husband walked across and said it felt very sturdy. I don't like heights so I stayed put 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

We just did this tour a few weeks ago. We took a bus up into the Yukon (saw no less than 5 bears along the way!) directly to the suspension bridge, then on the way back we stopped at the Yukon sign before proceeding to the train. The suspension bridge connects to decks on both sides of the gorge but there is no guide taking people across, so if someone got stuck on the bridge I'm not sure if there would be someone to help talk them back!  My husband walked across and said it felt very sturdy. I don't like heights so I stayed put 😉

Thanks Ginny that's exactly what I need to know. So dad can stay put while hubby and I cross the bridge.  Thanks 

9 hours ago, cynt said:

Thanks Ginny that's exactly what I need to know. So dad can stay put while hubby and I cross the bridge.  Thanks 

You're welcome! There is a store on the "safe side" (as I call it, lol) of the bridge that he can browse while you cross the bridge, and there are some displays he can also check out as well. Have fun! Don't look down, lol. 

• Haha 1

I just got back from this tour a week ago as I was on the Ovation of the Seas.

Walk along the paths leading up to and beyond the bridge. Many interesting signs to read along the way.

It is just as fascinating to view from the sides than actually being on it.

There is a steep area right where ya get on that would need a person in front and behind to steady the wheelchair.  Judge the crowds too see if doable.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Has anyone taken this excursion recently? I was trying to find out if it's train one way and bus back. A post above implies it is, but not sure if it's still like that. The write up for the excursion doesn't say one way or the other. We are booked on Solstice on 6/23/23.

Edited by Hllb