Paradise - Elegant Night & Comedy Club

joyce&bob

Just wondering.....tried to use Search to find but no luck.  Do the men have to wear long pants on the Paradise 4 day cruise on Elegant night or will dress shorts be OK.

Also, what time is the Family Comedy Club show?  Trying to plan a dinner time. 

Shorts and jeans are against the dress code on elegant night but some do it anyway. 

They usually have two family friendly comedy shows and it varies by ship. Could be 6:30 and 7:30, 7 and 8 or 7:30 and 8:30 based on my experiences.

Just because it's a shorter cruise, with only 1 Elegant Night that does not change the accepted dress code for dining areas. Dress shorts are only acceptable in the sit and be served dining areas on Casual nights, not Elegant Night. BUT with that said most Carnival Maitre'Ds or hostess staff will rarely send you to change or enjoy the buffet if you wear a pair of dockers/khakis and a Hawaiian or Havana style shirt to the MDR on Elegant Night.

Per Carnival FAQS:

What to Wear - Evening Attire

Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Be sure to bring a red or blue outfit or a top for our Mega Deck Party.

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

The Steakhouse: The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the main dining room(s); if the evening is specified as “Cruise Casual,” shorts are not permitted.

Edited by maryred
spelling

We are very informal people but shorts are not "dressy" for elegant night by any definition!

On some ships he will be turned away on others maybe not.

It is up to you if you want to take the chance.

Is it really difficult to put on a pair of slacks at night??

WOW! a simple Yes or No would have been enough. Yes, I know the definition of "dressy" & I never meant to suggest it is "difficult" to put on a pair of slacks...........my question was for my grandchildren....and "just thought I would clarify".  I told them I didn't think they had any "dressy" nights on a 4 day Carnival cruise & was just trying to verify what I had said.  Guess I will think twice before I post a question on Cruise Critic.  What would have happened if I had asked about smuggling alcohol????  Just Kidding....Just Kidding.

• Like 1

Just want to point out you posted:

4 hours ago, joyce&bob said:

Do the men have to wear long pants on the Paradise 4 day cruise on Elegant night or will dress shorts be OK.

This implies you are asking about adults not minors. To some regard infants through preschoolers will get away with wearing dressy outfits that involve short pants like a summer sailor suit or romper, which can make for cute family photos. But school aged through teens will still need to follow the same dress code, but will be shown leniency, as long as the adults are dressed to code, for minor alterations like if they wear a polo shirt instead of a button-down.

Edited by maryred
syntex

Why in the world didn't you say you were asking about children??

No one really cares if a young child where's a pair of shorts.

In some countries young boys don't wear long pants .

If your post has been more explicit we wouldn't be having this conversation!

I thought you were asking about an adult male! That's what it means when someone asks about what "MEN" can wear???

Edited by riffatsea

4 hours ago, maryred said:

Just because it's a shorter cruise, with only 1 Elegant Night that does not change the accepted dress code for dining areas. Dress shorts are only acceptable in the sit and be served dining areas on Casual nights, not Elegant Night. BUT with that said most Carnival Maitre'Ds or hostess staff will rarely send you to change or enjoy the buffet if you wear a pair of dockers/khakis and a Hawaiian or Havana style shirt to the MDR on Elegant Night.

Per Carnival FAQS:

What to Wear - Evening Attire

Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Be sure to bring a red or blue outfit or a top for our Mega Deck Party.

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

On the last several cruises I have been on over the past few months, the Hub App has not listed jeans as not permitted in the MDR on elegant night. Yet Carnival’s web page still states jeans are not allowed on elegant nights, which is where I assume you got the information above from. It would be helpful if Carnival’s dress codes were consistent every where. Of course there will always be people who will ignore the dress code no matter what it is. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joyce&bob said:

WOW! a simple Yes or No would have been enough. Yes, I know the definition of "dressy" & I never meant to suggest it is "difficult" to put on a pair of slacks...........my question was for my grandchildren....and "just thought I would clarify".  I told them I didn't think they had any "dressy" nights on a 4 day Carnival cruise & was just trying to verify what I had said.  Guess I will think twice before I post a question on Cruise Critic.  What would have happened if I had asked about smuggling alcohol????  Just Kidding....Just Kidding.

Smuggling alcohol is okay that's a carnival tradition,if you don't believe me check out all the YouTube videos on how to do it.but shorts and the dreaded flip flops are a no go.i don't even eat in MDR and I don't wear shorts to lido.( That's because I had a lot of wounds to my lower legs that even I think are hideous.)

Always with this question people quote "Chapter and Verse" "The book of Etiquette, Carnival Chapter, Paradise Verse" in this case. However, the OP did not ask what they SHOULD wear, they asked what they COULD wear.

We just got off the Paradise 5 day to Key West and Havana.  Elegant night there were a significant number of MEN, wearing shorts and T-shirts in the Dining Room.  Nothing was said.

I dressed appropriately, if I had kids along I would have made sure they were dressed "to code", BUT you are definitely ABLE to wear shorts and t-shirts and no one will stop you.

Edited by K&RCurt

Didn't mean to start a controversy.....just wanted to clarify for my grandchildren what they need to pack.  I guess I wasn't clear - just didn't want to be turned away from the dining room.

We are a group of 10 -  8 grandchildren and Grandpa & Grandma.  The grandchildren range in age from 17 to 26 so not little kids.  We have two Grand Suites with 5 of us in each cabin.....since five in the cabin, space will be limited & I was trying to stress to them to PACK LIGHT.  No problem with the girls, they love to dress-up - the boys & grandpa not so much.   I did stress to the boys that collard or button down shirts were needed for the dining room & shorts that require a belt.  I think I will just leave it at that.....and since no other people will be at our table I'm sure not one will be offended.

Now my pet peeve is seeing people in the dining room wearing baseball caps, but to each his own.....we are on vacation!

This cruise was the Number One item on our bucket list.  Spending 4 days with all our grandchildren.  We feel truly blessed that they all were able to join us for this cruise.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:07 PM, scpirate said:

Smuggling alcohol is okay that's a carnival tradition,if you don't believe me check out all the YouTube videos on how to do it.but shorts and the dreaded flip flops are a no go.i don't even eat in MDR and I don't wear shorts to lido.( That's because I had a lot of wounds to my lower legs that even I think are hideous.)

T.M.I.

24 minutes ago, joyce&bob said:

Didn't mean to start a controversy.....just wanted to clarify for my grandchildren what they need to pack.  I guess I wasn't clear - just didn't want to be turned away from the dining room.

We are a group of 10 -  8 grandchildren and Grandpa & Grandma.  The grandchildren range in age from 17 to 26 so not little children.

This story keeps getting stranger and stranger with each small tidbit of new info

What is strange about: (not the whole post just the jest of them)

1st post read: Just wondering do the men have to wear long pants on the elegant night or will dress shorts be OK

2nd post read: Wow! a simple yes or no would have been enough.  I asked the question because I had told my grandchildren I didn't think they would have an elegant night on a 4 day cruise.

3rd post read: We are a group of 10 - 8 grandchildren(between the ages of 17 - 26)  Trying to save space in our 2 cabins with 5 in each cabin.

Can you explain why this "story keeps getting stranger and stranger" - just started out a simple yes or no question, then people seemed to need more info....so I added my reason for asking then everyone seemed to think I was talking about little grandkids so wanted to clarify.

Have to say I'm a little hurt at your remark that it keeps getting stranger and stranger.  We are a 75 year old grandmother & grandfather in 7th heaven because our grandchildren are all joining us on this cruise.  I was just trying to make sure what I had said about no elegant nights was correct.  What I thought was a simple question.

In my past experience with Cruise Critic I have always received helpful responses, especially from the Carnival site.