Turning 13 while cruising

Hello - My daughter's friend will turn 13 on day 2 of our cruise.  Many on board activities require adult supervision for those 12 and under (e.g., flow rider, rock wall) - Will she be considered 12 for the entire cruise since she will be 12 on day 1?  I would rather not spend all my time supervising - hence why my daughter gets to bring a friend!  thanks

37 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The rule is that the age on day 1 is the age for the entire cruise.  Your experience may vary.

I thought it was the other way - the age on last day is the age for the entire trip. They do that in hotels, where they count age at check out. 

1 minute ago, nalrudaini said:

I thought it was the other way - the age on last day is the age for the entire trip. They do that in hotels, where they count age at check out. 

I’ve never heard that. Most places, I know (Disney in particular), it’s the age at check-in. 

That said, your mileage (as always) will vary. This question comes up a lot when someone turns 21 on a cruise. Most lines will give you a new card showing you’re now allowed to drink. 

Definitely wouldn’t hurt to ask.  

Nope, the official thing is whatever age you are upon boarding, is the age they consider you to be for the entire trip.  It's on the website, somewhere.

If you speak to whoever is in charge of 'aging", they might allow whatever it is that you want.  Key word being MIGHT.

If your Parents or yourself  bought you a drink at 21 it would be legal anywhere. You board at 20 and turn 21 on the cruse if you show an ID with your birthday it should suffice.  You would not be in violation of any laws and can consume alcohol without supervision. So at 12:01 on your 21st birthday any bar or restaurant will be able to serve you. All it takes is a, reprint of your SetSail card and the removal of the age restriction. Takes no more than a minute and the Hotel manager can do this. 

Royal should be happy to take your money for alcohol once you are 21

Worst case your Parents can buy your drinks and serve it to you as youu are not underage. Someone  21 can serve  another passenger who is 21 as you are not underage. It's, perfectly legal. 

Edited by travelplus

From RCCL.

Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean International's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for their cruise vacation. However, if a guest celebrates their 21st birthday during the cruise, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship's records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services with his or her parent or guardian and to present a government issued form of identification to establish that the guest's 21st birthday was celebrated during the cruise. 

It will likely depend on the ship, ours didn't have a flowrider but my daughter was 12 our whole cruise and I just signed for her to do the rock wall and she did it with her 16 & 17yr old brothers without us around. We were even told by staff once we signed she was good to go. 

• Like 1