Cruise or All Inclusive for singles?

I’m looking to book a trip for myself in July.  I’m trying to decide on whether I should do a cruise or All Inclusive resort.  I’m a 30 year old single male looking to meet other singles and looking for a lively atmosphere and decent nightlife.  Just wondering what others in my situation would choose?

Edited by Ryanryanryan

I'm in my late 30's, I choose cruise over the all-inclusive.  The thing with some of the all-inclusive places is that's IT, with a cruise you often have several destinations so you get to see more and have more freedom in the places you do visit, if you choose to do things on your own.

NCL seems to have a decent solo program, but the "quality" of the other solo cruisers will be determined by the itinerary - I was on a Pacific Coastal and all but 2 of the other solos that I met were older than me, and generally not by a small amount, I imagine this would be different on a Bermuda or Caribbean itinerary.

"Nightlife" is what you make of it.  There are mini concerts, dance parties, etc.  I've taken a liking to the NCL Breakaway-class ships (only sailed on one but there are other similar ships) that have the solo cabins with the lounge.

I would look at Club MED Turkoise...adult only but not all couples, usually lots of singles of all ages. 

Cruises can be really hit or miss in regards to singles/solos. Been on some where there have been plenty of singles your age and then some where the average age was older( like me)

If I had to choose I would look at the Breakaway out of Miami. Lots of solo cabins. Also look at 7 day only, it seems the longer the trip the older the crowd tends to be due to available vacation time.

Just my thoughts 

Was at Club Med for the first week of July 2 years ago and had a blast.

Edited by kelib

I'm not totally sure, but I've haven't seen discounts for solos at land all inclusives so you'll be paying double rates for sure on land, but NCL likely has solo discounts. 

As for meeting people it's hard to say. NCL caters more to solos than say Royal. But my Alaska cruise didn't have as many singles my age as the Caribbean ones did. But even with the Caribbean it can be luck of the week you picked. 

I can't tell you about the land ones because I always stopped looking because they were always more expensive than cruises. 

I’d go with a cruise...done loads of solo trips and whilst each time has been different I’ve met so many amazing people and built some great friendships. One big factor for me is that in a resort, people are coming and going all the time whereas on a cruise it’s the same people the entire trip so you see familiar faces and get to know people a bit more. The studio cabins, solo lounge and solo get togethers on NCL really help you settle in and meet people you might have written off in every day life.   The Epic is a dead cert for a lively crowd, Getaway was the same and Bliss. I’m sure others will tell you about awesome solo experiences across the fleet but I’d stick with the ships that have studio cabins. You can join in the fun even if you’re not staying in one which is pretty cool. Have a fabulous time whatever you decide!

Thank you for asking this question!  I am in the same boat but looking for August - live in Western Canada so maybe Alaska.  I have never cruised solo before and am Platinum so I get a few perks even if I get an inside.  I have been checking prices and it's still super high to cruise solo out of Alaska plus flights if it is a one way north or south trip.  I am much older than you and would be looking for the 50s crowd lol.    I check almost every day to see if there are any smoking deals for first 2 weeks of August but nothing great yet.  I have 2 cruise next vouchers to apply also so hoping I can use them to make it more affordable.

But also looking at all inclusives ….. it's just a R and R week for me.... so far they are about $1500 - which kind of surprises me for the hot summer....

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Leah

16 minutes ago, browniegirl said:

Thank you for asking this question!  I am in the same boat but looking for August - live in Western Canada so maybe Alaska.  I have never cruised solo before and am Platinum so I get a few perks even if I get an inside.  I have been checking prices and it's still super high to cruise solo out of Alaska plus flights if it is a one way north or south trip.  I am much older than you and would be looking for the 50s crowd lol.    I check almost every day to see if there are any smoking deals for first 2 weeks of August but nothing great yet.  I have 2 cruise next vouchers to apply also so hoping I can use them to make it more affordable.

But also looking at all inclusives ….. it's just a R and R week for me.... so far they are about $1500 - which kind of surprises me for the hot summer....

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Leah

The way this season has been going the deals in Alaska are happening about a month before sailing, so just keep watching! 

I can't help you on the one way cruises, but they don't have studios so the number of solos on it likely depends how good of a solo discount they give. I was on Bliss which has the lounge and the solo meetups were probably 3/4 50+. I only met one other solo in their 30s and then about 5 in their 20s.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

The way this season has been going the deals in Alaska are happening about a month before sailing, so just keep watching! 

I can't help you on the one way cruises, but they don't have studios so the number of solos on it likely depends how good of a solo discount they give. I was on Bliss which has the lounge and the solo meetups were probably 3/4 50+. I only met one other solo in their 30s and then about 5 in their 20s.

Thanks!  Great suggestion.  Probably not worth me even checking until the beginning of July to see if they have discounted anything much and what a solo rate would be.  Right now, it's just way too high plus all the extras 🙂  Good to know about the 50 plus crowd haha, I am kind of a shy person so it would be stepping out of my comfort zone but also something I am trying to do haha!!

For All Inclusive hotels be cautious to look at those that are geared towards either a younger crowd or singles/solos. My experience of being solo in a couple of All Inclusives is that I felt out of place. 

For cruises I'd suggest one of the larger NCL ships with the solo studios. But don't rely on the solo meetups to meet people your own age. I sailed on the Escape to Bermuda last July and there were a lot of younger people on board (I'm in my fifties but I love a good party). 

Editing to add... if you want to find a "singles cruise" try google... we're not allowed to promote in here but there are websites that arrange those on various cruise lines. 

Edited by CazV
  • Like 1

I'm a single 34 year old so I know where you are coming from. I probably wouldn't do a cruise over the summer (Alaska excluded) because I imagine it will be a lot of families and kids. I would easily do an adults only all inclusive. 

• Like 1

With the All inclusive marketing for the Sky and Sun those ships may appeal to you on NCL.

I sail solo often on NCL and have made friends that I keep in touch with on each cruise. I am much older than my 30s, but active with diverse interests. In two instances I made friends during the check in process and another I met on an excursion. We ended up sharing dinners, saving seats at shows, atrium events, pool deck and connecting at the solo meet up events, etc.

I'd stick with Mexican and Caribbean cruises. The sunny destinations, excursions and entertainment  around the ship. The last solo all inclusive trip for me was to a secluded spa in Mexico years ago, awesome but different than you are seeking.

For you I'd skip the Alaska, Canada and Europe itineraries. They may not have the singles and party feel you are seeking. 

• Like 1