Recommendations arriving in FLL at 1AM cruising out of MIAMI

surfgal24

I am being completely indecisive about out hotel stay the night/morning lol before our cruise leaving out of POM on 6/22. Please someone put the blinders on me so I can make a decision!

We are flying (husband and myself)  into FLL. Plane Arrives at 12:30 AM ish. I'm guessing by the time we get bags it will be somewhere around 1AM.

Trying to decide if better to stay in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. I know this has been addressed several times, but I'm reading until my eyes are crossed and just being completely indecisive!

*With us getting in so late, something with a 12PM checkout or later is preferred.

*Somewhere with complementary breakfast or somewhere to get breakfast within safe walking distance of the hotel.

*Somewhere I can pick up water and possibly wine before heading to the cruise terminal within close proximity of the hotel.

*We are open to Lauderdale or Miami.

Planning this stuff used to be my Jam, but now I have a child, extra time to research is like a thing of the past! Thank you in advance for helping a sister out!

Any number of hotels in the 17th St. area in Ft. Lauderdale would fit the bill.  The Harbour Shops (behind the Embassy Suites) has a Publix and a Total Wine store.

Roz

Edited by Roz

15 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Choose a cheap hotel near FLL, you can always get you Uber or can driver to stop on the way to POM. www.sunny.org has lots of hotel and tourist info.

"Cheap" is a relative term in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

Roz

I probably would not go cheap in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

I would rather head to Miami and get a late checkout and sleep in.

Join a frequent stay program like Marriott and you can get a late checkout.  I recently got a 4PM checkout at the Marriott in Naples because of Bonvoy.

22 hours ago, Roz said:

Any number of hotels in the 17th St. area in Ft. Lauderdale would fit the bill.  The Harbour Shops (behind the Embassy Suites) has a Publix and a Total Wine store.

Roz

Yep.  We like Embassy Suites.  As you're interested in breakfast theirs is good.:classic_smile:  No good reason to head to Miami at that hour, we would get a nearby FLL hotel and get some rest.

Edited by bouhunter

Stay at a hotel on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale  and notify the hotel that you will be a late arrival. Then make arrangements for transportation to the Port Of Miami on departure day. Check Larry’s Limos for excellent service and reasonable rates.

I see this as two options: 

1. A hotel near FLL that will give you breakfast and an easy shuttle to the hotel. 

2. A hotel in Miami near Port Miami. The reason why going down to Miami is not crazy is because how quick the drive will be. 25-30mins max as long as your driver is not going under the speed limit. If your goal is to sleep in and not wake up early I don't see why you should not get the drive over with, and be closer to the port so you need less time in the morning. 

Hampton Inn Brickell is a popular spot, and close to tons of places to shop for items, anything in Brickell or Downtown will be an easy spot to walk to get your last minute things and grab breakfast if the hotel does not have breakfast. You are also then a 10-min or so drive from the port in Downtown/Brickell area. 

Where near FLL, you get to bed quicker, but will then need to wake up earlier to get down to the Port. 

If sleeping in and being able to leave to the port later is the priority go to Miami. 

If getting to sleep is the priority, then FLL. 

Of course unless one or the other is much cheaper/expensive. 

Uber/Taxi will be your best bet that time of day. Uberx would be around $35 so long as you don't have a crazy amount of bags and no more than 3/4 people. UberXL and taxi are around the same price, but still UberXL you'll know what you pay and get better service. 

What you don't say is whether a few hours of sleep before checking in for your cruise is necessary.  If a nap/shower/etc is required, then ignore this post, but...

If you're just looking for a place to spend the hours until the cruise, last time we sailed out of Miami, wife and I simply rented a car and drove down to News Cafe- a 24 hour cafe in South Beach.  We leisurely sipped our way through several delicious coffees, had a very tasty breakfast, and watched the sun slowly rise over the beach.  The cafe was very friendly and the area very safe.  We never felt like an imposition, and the people watching was worth it.  Afterwards, we returned the car to MIA (our rental agreement allows one-way trips at no extra charge), and then took the complimentary shuttle from MIA to the port.

That said, spending ~8 hours at a cafe is not for everyone, and we did spend the afternoon getting our catch-up zzz's on the ship.  But just wanted to offer another alternative.