Going back to Costa Maya...where to go?

mitsugirly

We have been here plenty of times and went to: Almaplena, Maya Chan, Nohoch, Blue Kay several times. 

We are looking for something new. I REALLY wanted to try out Yemaya because it looks amazing there from all of the pictures I have seen but last time we were at Blue Kay, the owner of Yemaya (Robert) was working there and said they were renovating Yemaya. (That was 2017...surely they can't still be working on it right?). But there haven't been any new reviews on TA since 2017 so now I'm wondering. Did they change their name and that's why I can't find it?

Any other beach places to go to that's NOT on the Malecon?

We also wouldn't mind doing other excursions like a dune buggy or something (NOT excursions to the ruins). 

We will be there from 8-5pm so plenty of time. 

We are beach-type people fyi

Did you try the email?  terrazas.kiedaisch@gmx.de

Not sure if that's correct as I pulled it from the TA link.

I haven't heard anything about it, but you were in CM since I've been there.

I can contact Steve Uhl and see what he says if anything, if you'd like me too.

From what I'm hearing Blue kay has changed a lot and may not be the same place as you've experienced before.

The absentee owner of several place along the malecon supposedly bought it and tried to open up a beach only spot away from the hotel, but doesn't appear successful in that venture.

For something different, contact Native Choice and see if they offer or know who offers a tour to the Blue lagoon without having to trampsie through the Maya ruins first.  It's a beautiful area.  There are a couple of places to hang out and kayak or swim.

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Did you try the email?  terrazas.kiedaisch@gmx.de

Not sure if that's correct as I pulled it from the TA link.

I haven't heard anything about it, but you were in CM since I've been there.

I can contact Steve Uhl and see what he says if anything, if you'd like me too.

From what I'm hearing Blue kay has changed a lot and may not be the same place as you've experienced before.

The absentee owner of several place along the malecon supposedly bought it and tried to open up a beach only spot away from the hotel, but doesn't appear successful in that venture.

For something different, contact Native Choice and see if they offer or know who offers a tour to the Blue lagoon without having to trampsie through the Maya ruins first.  It's a beautiful area.  There are a couple of places to hang out and kayak or swim.

Crew...what is the email for? Are you saying that's for Yemaya?  Isn't Steve at Tropicana or some place like that? Are you saying you'd contact him about info on Yemaya? That would be great. I just really don't know what to do here and really don't want to go anywhere on the Malecon.

I know last time we were at BK, it had changed a lot and although I think it's an amazing place with decent snorkeling and beautiful beach, I'm ready to move on and experience new things now. I get bored with the same places over and over.

I will contact Native Choice and see if they offer anything to Blue Lagoon.

Thanks and let me know any updates you might hear about.

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

Crew...what is the email for? Are you saying that's for Yemaya?  Isn't Steve at Tropicana or some place like that? Are you saying you'd contact him about info on Yemaya? That would be great. I just really don't know what to do here and really don't want to go anywhere on the Malecon.

I know last time we were at BK, it had changed a lot and although I think it's an amazing place with decent snorkeling and beautiful beach, I'm ready to move on and experience new things now. I get bored with the same places over and over.

I will contact Native Choice and see if they offer anything to Blue Lagoon.

Thanks and let me know any updates you might hear about.

That is the last email for Yemaya

7 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

That is the last email for Yemaya

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

I can say that the Blue Lagoon Crew mentioned is looking better and better and you can do it without going to the ruins!!! Yippee!

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, mitsugirly said:

We have been here plenty of times and went to: Almaplena, Maya Chan, Nohoch, Blue Kay several times. 

We are looking for something new. I REALLY wanted to try out Yemaya because it looks amazing there from all of the pictures I have seen but last time we were at Blue Kay, the owner of Yemaya (Robert) was working there and said they were renovating Yemaya. (That was 2017...surely they can't still be working on it right?). But there haven't been any new reviews on TA since 2017 so now I'm wondering. Did they change their name and that's why I can't find it?

We also wouldn't mind doing other excursions like a dune buggy or something (NOT excursions to the ruins). 

@mitsugirly was also looking into Yemaya but it stated "permanently closed" on the website and google.... not sure if you had better luck via email.

5 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

@mitsugirly was also looking into Yemaya but it stated "permanently closed" on the website and google.... not sure if you had better luck via email.

What website? I have googled so much and can't find anything other than old reviews. The website that was listed doesn't load or down. Where did you find it saying it was permanently closed?

I just now emailed the address above. I'll report back if it ever gets answered (or returned). It looked like such an amazing place to go!

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

What website? I have googled so much and can't find anything other than old reviews. The website that was listed doesn't load or down. Where did you find it saying it was permanently closed?

I just now emailed the address above. I'll report back if it ever gets answered (or returned). It looked like such an amazing place to go!

From a desktop/laptop, if you google the resort, there will be a heading to the right where it displays “permanently closed” in red, where you would click for the website. Yes I tried the website again and it’s just an error message. 

the pictures did look amazing!:(

11 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

From a desktop/laptop, if you google the resort, there will be a heading to the right where it displays “permanently closed” in red, where you would click for the website. Yes I tried the website again and it’s just an error message. 

the pictures did look amazing!:(

Oooo that's sad to hear.  :classic_ohmy: I can email Steve to see if he knows where Robert went. 

Hopefully, Blue Lagoon can come through.  If not via Native Choice maybe via taxi.  Car Rentals aren't convenient, unfortunately. 

On 6/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, mitsugirly said:

Have you thought about doing a Discover Scuba there?  

13 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Have you thought about doing a Discover Scuba there?  

I think I thought about it last time we were here but decided against it because it was a "boat" dive instead of from shore and that's why we ended up diving in Roatan instead (which was supposed to be a shore dive at West Bay but the weather was so bad that it ended up being a boat dive at Flowers Bay).

Do you think it would be better to dive here than West Bay in Roatan? I would think the diving would be better in Roatan. Thoughts?

Off shore diving is great along the  Riveria Maya coast.  You're at the northern end of the great barrier reef that extends up from Belize.  Vacations come here just for the diving and spend a week or more.  Not sure is the dive shops in Mahahual offer discover scuba.  You can contact them.

Dr Dive (next to YaYas), Nomad Divers (unsed to be next to NoHoch Kay, or Dreamtime (hearing the shop is for sale, but that could be old).

https://www.doctordive.com/

https://www.dreamtimediving.com/english

https://www.nomaddivers.com/

That said, you'll probably have a better experience in Roatan up at West End.  Similar to what you had in Aruba or Curacao.

Roatan is a known quantity to me.... diving there is easy and full of life, great coral, etc.  

Costa Maya I have not done, so can't give personal experience, but I do know a few divers who have been there who think its pretty good.  Closer to the diving in Cozumel is some regards, but not as deep.  It would be boat diving.

...as I have told you before.... boat diving is the way to go.  It is easier and gets you right to the reefs which are not being beat up by waves and surge.  Coral is more abundant and healthier when it is out of the wave action. 

Plus it is just easier to back roll off a boat then climb back on with a ladder  than to trudge onto shore with waves hitting you while you try to take your fins off.  Yuck, I just hate that about shore diving.  Trying to walk back on shore, with a 50lb tank on my back, trying to hold camera and  fins while getting hit by waves.  More than once I have been knocked down.

48 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Off shore diving is great along the  Riveria Maya coast.  You're at the northern end of the great barrier reef that extends up from Belize.  Vacations come here just for the diving and spend a week or more.  Not sure is the dive shops in Mahahual offer discover scuba.  You can contact them.

Dr Dive (next to YaYas), Nomad Divers (unsed to be next to NoHoch Kay, or Dreamtime (hearing the shop is for sale, but that could be old).

https://www.doctordive.com/

https://www.dreamtimediving.com/english

https://www.nomaddivers.com/

That said, you'll probably have a better experience in Roatan up at West End.  Similar to what you had in Aruba or Curacao.

I know last time I checked, they did offer some DSD by boat. But we ended up diving in Roatan instead.

I will check into it. Thanks for the info.

If we dive in Roatan, it would be at West Bay instead of West End.

Aruba...our diving sucked. It was a horrible experience. However, we did do a scooter excursions with Aruba Bob at Mangel Halto and the reef there was AMAZING!! Hopefully one day we'll get to dive there. Curacao, we've had some decent dives there and they were "comfortable" dives. So I would be good with that. :)

19 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Roatan is a known quantity to me.... diving there is easy and full of life, great coral, etc.  

Costa Maya I have not done, so can't give personal experience, but I do know a few divers who have been there who think its pretty good.  Closer to the diving in Cozumel is some regards, but not as deep.  It would be boat diving.

...as I have told you before.... boat diving is the way to go.  It is easier and gets you right to the reefs which are not being beat up by waves and surge.  Coral is more abundant and healthier when it is out of the wave action. 

Plus it is just easier to back roll off a boat then climb back on with a ladder  than to trudge onto shore with waves hitting you while you try to take your fins off.  Yuck, I just hate that about shore diving.  Trying to walk back on shore, with a 50lb tank on my back, trying to hold camera and  fins while getting hit by waves.  More than once I have been knocked down.

Oh I know...I like boat diving now. It was just back when we were there last time, I was scared to go off a boat and was looking for a place that was a shore dive to get me used to it before going out. That's why we ended up not booking in Costa Maya (because they were all boat dives) and ended up booking in Roatan because it was a shore dive (even though we ended up going out on a boat). I don't mind boat dives at all anymore and like them. :D I definitely like the backroll!

• Like 2

Well.....

Sakari (my 11 year old) is begging to do the Maya Lost Mayan Kingdom water park right outside of the port. She seen the water park, slides and ziplines and says that's what she wants to do. According to all of the reviews, everyone rates it pretty high and a fun day. We might have to give this a shot instead.

No answer from Yemaya so my only other option is probably Blue Lagoon (which I'd like to do but the hubby reminded me of the fiasco the last time we did kayaks in St Maarten to Pinel Island LOL).

So, maybe Sakari has found our excursion. :)