Britannia re positioning cruise doubts

pj57

19 hours ago, emam said:

I have only been on Ventura, so can't comment on Britannia yet. However we are counting down the days until we sail on her, in less than two weeks. Our one cruise on Celebrity Eclipse was to the Baltics and was more of a cultural cruise which was reflected in the entertainment. 

We had freedom dining on the Eclipse, but ended up booking a table each night for the next one and at the same time each night. Though the waiters were nice enough, I think the ones on Ventura were more friendlier. For the food in the mdr on Eclipse, it didn't have as much choice as on Ventura. This didn't bother me as I'm a parky eater in any case.  Though on Ventura apart from the always available, some night I could find other things from the main menu to eat. Celebrity's seemed to only have a few choices for the whole menu and these were repeated every few days. So for the mdr, I think that for us P&O came out better.

However for the buffet (I know you don't want to use that), Celebrity came out way better. Their idea of a minute steak, is what I would call a small steak. They have food from various nationalities and you can pick and choose from what you wanted. The big hot carving ham's for breakfast were a nice touch. The choice of buns to make sandwiches at lunch time, was better, though that could be down to size, with P&O's being more smaller rolls like what you would get with soup.

Celebrity has free ice cream, both in the buffet (served) and from a machine on deck to which you help yourself. P&O only has the free ice cream in the mdr.

During the day we found the ship to be quiet after a few days at sea, but this was probably down to the weather. I did though enjoy sitting on deck wrapped up reading a book with very few people on the deck. I don't know where everyone disappeared to. Even the inside pool area was quiet.  People did come out on the night time though. 

On the last evening chic night it was the last night of the cruise. As the cases had to be left outside the door by 8pm, weren't able to dress up, as we would then have to try and find somewhere for our clothes to go the next day. P&O don't have their formal nights on the last night which gives you time to pack them up. 

We have enjoyed our cruises with both of them, but can't compare like for like as they were to different places (one hot, one, not so). I thought that the price for the Celebrity was more expensive than P&O cruises, but P&O prices seem to be increasing (other people who book at launch will dispute that, but I have found they have gone up in the short time that we have been cruising), with the cruise we will soon be taking on Britannia to the med, costing about the same price as the Baltic one on Celebrity.

Thanks 😊

19 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Its rather like Marmite, some people love it others describe it as too bland.

The good:---

The serenity child free pool area on the sun deck is very pleasant.

The buffet has much better laid out serveries than Azura and Ventura.

The MDR's are more spacious and the waiter stations discreetly hidden.

If you like dancing the Crystal room is just for you, if you want a supper club then Limelight is your choice.

The bad (IMO):----

The Atrium reminds me of  a John Lewis store.

The theatre has less seats than Azura, they are very narrow and uncomfortable.

The balconies are tiny.

There is no real promenade deck, only a small sunbathing section, which is also for smokers.

But the rest is very similar to Princess and RCI, but not as high standard as Celebrity.

Hope that helps:-).

Thanks 😊

57 minutes ago, pj57 said:

Interested to know why port side.... Sun wind? thanks

Yes, it is for the Sun. After leaving Maderia you will be sailing more or less West for 5 days and the Port side cabins seem to get the Sun all day.  The Starboard cabins are mostly shaded. This is how it has been for us in the past

The POSH Port out Starboard home thing was for the opposite reason because they wanted the cooler cabins when sailing to India -

A popular folk etymology holds that the term is an acronym for "port out, starboard home", describing the cooler, north-facing cabins taken by the most aristocratic or rich passengers travelling from Britain to India and back.

Re position on Britannia, we were on E deck forward balcony cabin. It was great there - very peaceful. I know some don't like forward for the movement but we had very calm seas and she hardly moved at all.

If you want to be near stairs I would recommend forward or aft because there is no central staircase which can make the lifts busy. As I said we were forward but next to the first "mid forward" and it was perfect for us.

39 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Re position on Britannia, we were on E deck forward balcony cabin. It was great there - very peaceful. I know some don't like forward for the movement but we had very calm seas and she hardly moved at all.

If you want to be near stairs I would recommend forward or aft because there is no central staircase which can make the lifts busy. As I said we were forward but next to the first "mid forward" and it was perfect for us.

thanks 😊

1 hour ago, bee-ess said:

Yes, it is for the Sun. After leaving Maderia you will be sailing more or less West for 5 days and the Port side cabins seem to get the Sun all day.  The Starboard cabins are mostly shaded. This is how it has been for us in the past

The POSH Port out Starboard home thing was for the opposite reason because they wanted the cooler cabins when sailing to India -

A popular folk etymology holds that the term is an acronym for "port out, starboard home", describing the cooler, north-facing cabins taken by the most aristocratic or rich passengers travelling from Britain to India and back.

thanks 😊

Britannia - great ship. For me, has the  best standards of service and food of the P&O family friendly ships.

Unlike most I absolutely like the décor of the atrium and ship generally. It is nice to enter a ship that feels calm and relaxing rather than a ship that has bright lights and gold everywhere - its too gordy. Having recently sailed the Royal Princess which has an interior design in keeping with Ventura and Azura, I have a definite preference for Britannia.

I also generally prefer the MDRs on Britannia to Ventura and Azura also because generally it feels like you are less likely to be put in a corner. The staff rotate through the club and freedom dining restaurants so you can sometimes find that one freedom dining restaurant has a better mix over others. Other than night one you can use either freedom dining restaurant so this does solve this issue.

Theatre layout for me is the biggest mistake. Seats made small by the drinks holder and no side staircase.

We have done the 22 night TA on Britannia 3 times and have booked for this year and also for 2020 so hope that is a recommendation in itself. We have also done the TA on Ventura twice and Adonia. Never cruised with Celebrity so cannot compare. We find that the 22 night cruise has the benefit of more port calls although you usually get St Vincent twice. The sea days give you  time to relax especially if you lead a hectic lifestyle. You will get 6 formal nights on this cruise so plenty of chance to dress up and even on smart casual nights a lot of the ladies wear smart dresses. The Chrystal lounge always seems well attended by the dancers or you have the Live Lounge for late night disco The Decks can get rather busy on sea days especially as the weather warms up but never had a problem finding a lounger as long as you don't expect to be beside the pools.

A portside balconcy is also a must for us on an outbound sailing but the Britannia balconies are the smallest in the fleet.

Might see you on board

Oh has done both the eclipse and Britannia ta's compared to myself only on Britannia

Her comments

Balconies are larger in eclipse, so if you get a bit of sun, can stay there for a half day. Tbh the balcony on Britannia was so small we didn't stay on it for long.

Food, much better buffet on celebrity.

MDR in celebrity better quality food, much more international options rather than limited and dated p and o menu.

Service, we both found p and o quality of service lacking at times. But then on board drinks are much more affordable on p and o so that's a benift of p and o.

On Britannia we didn't really use the sunbeds for full sun, but found plenty of part shade options which were pretty empty.

If we were going again I honestly don't know which we'd pick, as I prefer the Carribbean ports that p and o offer but id like to try celebrity food and service.

On 6/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, amfc_lenny said:

Oh has done both the eclipse and Britannia ta's compared to myself only on Britannia

Her comments

Balconies are larger in eclipse, so if you get a bit of sun, can stay there for a half day. Tbh the balcony on Britannia was so small we didn't stay on it for long.

MDR in celebrity better quality food, much more international options rather than limited and dated p and o menu.

Service, we both found p and o quality of service lacking at times. But then on board drinks are much more affordable on p and o so that's a benift of p and o.

On Britannia we didn't really use the sunbeds for full sun, but found plenty of part shade options which were pretty empty.

If we were going again I honestly don't know which we'd pick, as I prefer the Carribbean ports that p and o offer but id like to try celebrity food and service.

On 6/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, amfc_lenny said:

Her comments

Hopefully may bump into you on board.  This is our first P&O cruise but have done T/A on Celebrity Eclipse - Northern Atlantic, Southampton - Boston - New York etc

Therefore, we may be in a position to compare.

Geoffrey

We have just returned from a 7 night Norwegian Fjords cruise on Britannia and did a 12 night Baltic cruise on Celebrity Eclipse 12 months ago. My thoughts:

Britannia is a lovely ship and will be going for a re-fit very soon, its larger than Eclipse but in some ways it doesn't feel larger due to clever use of space.

We loved Glass House on Britannia for drinks in the evening or small lunch (extra charge)

We missed a good coffee bar/cakes - Eclipse wins hands down on this one

Buffet restaurant on Britannia good, good selection of food and all nicely presented

MDR on Britannia completely different in style than Eclipse. Very good selection of dishes, geared towards a British market. That said a super choice of fish dishes and good quality meat dishes

Drinks prices on Britannia considerably cheaper!!

I wouldn't hesitate to book on either ship. We are not loyal to one brand but concentrate on the itinerary.