Fort Lauderdale hotel with shuttle service

mizzhunyb

Hello,

I'm new here, and, well, kind of new to traveling. Never really did much growing up and now as a 50 year old woman, I'm traveling more and loving every minute of it.

My family of three adults are cruising from Fort Lauderdale in April 2020. We're flying in to FLL and will need to stay overnight on Friday. I'm mostly concerned with shuttle service. Our last experience in Tampa with Holiday Inn was not the best shuttle experience. We waited an hour and a half before they found us at the airport. There was some construction going on at the airport and we were not in the right pick up location. So, not all their fault. 

RTS provided shuttle service to and from the cruise terminal which was fantastic. Paid $20 r/t, well worth it.

My question is, I've got a couple of hotels in mind and am wondering about shuttle service. We prefer shuttle service vs Uber/Lyft or taxi. What can you tell me about these or can you recommend others? Trying to keep a budget in mind, less than $300...yes, it's Spring Break so am keeping that in mind, too.

Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport, Hollywood and the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale, Plantation.

I'm liking the Plantation area as there is a mall nearby with restaurants. I don't have any preference regarding chain, it just so happened these are both Hampton Inns.

Any thoughts and concerns would be most welcome.

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites and Hyatt Place located on 17th.   Both offer shuttle service at a very minimal rate, much less than $20.  Both are located near the port and shuttle service is also offered by private shuttle services in the $8 PP range. 

It's a good area to be in because there is the Harbor Shops nearby in case you want to buy wine, water, soda or have a meal at a decent restaurant. 

Some people use value trips dot com to get lower prices at Hyatt Place.  There are threads on this site that discuss using that site. 

If a hotel in the 17th Street area charges $7 or more per person to the Port, call a taxi or uber/lyft since their prices will be less.  You also will be taken directly to your ship (hotel shuttles may make stops at every ship in port).

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Plantation twice.  They offer a free shuttle from the airport, as well as to the port.  Decent free breakfast in the morning.  You can walk to the mall and also to a wine store and restaurants.  I can highly recommend.  We had no complaints.   

• Like 1

Nice, have fun!

One question, have you every had any concern about arriving to the airport/terminal in a timely manner? Traffic, etc? capriccio brought up a good point of shuttles making more than one stop.

1 hour ago, mizzhunyb said:

Nice, have fun!

One question, have you every had any concern about arriving to the airport/terminal in a timely manner? Traffic, etc? capriccio brought up a good point of shuttles making more than one stop.

We had no problems at all.  When we arrived at the hotel, we signed up for shuttle service to the port in the morning.  (Our shuttle left at 10:30).    We were sailing on a Sunday, so traffic was minimal.  Port Everglades was busy that morning, so it took a few minutes to be dropped off, but it was no big deal.  The shuttle does not make any other stops.  When we arrived at the airport, we called the hotel to tell them we were ready and they told us a shuttle would be there in a few minutes.  We waited about 15 minutes.  Again, no big deal. 

We stayed at the Hyatt Place on 17th Ave last year and would not again.  Though the shuttle was the best part about it.  We were late in the evening arriving and took their shuttle from the airport. The shuttle took just a few minutes to arrive.  After walking on the carpet an hour or so our feet were filthy.  My daughter and I went to get a couple bottles of water and they were $3.75 each.  They also now charge for breakfast.  Too many other good options for us to stay there again.  We are staying at Hampton Inn North this year.

Edited by Lee Cruiser

13 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We stayed at the Hyatt Place on 17th Ave last year and would not again.  Though the shuttle was the best part about it.  We were late in the evening arriving and took their shuttle from the airport. The shuttle took just a few minutes to arrive.  After walking on the carpet an hour or so our feet were filthy.  My daughter and I went to get a couple bottles of water and they were $3.75 each.  They also now charge for breakfast.  Too many other good options for us to stay there again.  We are staying at Hampton Inn North this year.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  One thing - if you are a Hyatt card member the breakfast is free, plus most Hyatts will give you a free bottle of water pp when you check in.   They have a real good card program, which works great with a Chase Reserve card (very easy to earn and use for stays - we never pay for a room with them when cruising as we earn enough from our cruise to pay for the room (in points).  Plus they have a 50-100,000 point sign up bonus which would pay for up to 8 nights at most Hyatt Places.

13 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Lee Cruiser  - Sorry to hear about your experience at Hyatt Place .  We stayed there this past March and had no issues like this.  Our room was clean and we were offered free breakfast.  We booked thru booking dot com and I did join some sort of Hyatt rewards club before hand so I don't know if that would matter.   You need to complain to the hotel about the dirty feet.  I know the managers are kind of responsive about issues.