Postcards

redmaid

Our cruise finished on May 15th so plenty of time for them to be delivered.  Also, as I said, this is not the first time this happened.  Just wanted to warn people so that others don’t have very disappointed grandchildren.  At least this time it was the free Regent postcards ( so posted for free) but previously they were postcards we had bought and paid $1 each for postage.  Cruise was most enjoyable but this has soured our return.

Just throwing this out there...because I am going on a cruise in July.  I will be using the app TouchNote to send postcards/cards to my kids at camp.  You can create your own postcards using your photos from your phone and they make/send them!  2-5 days deliver in the US.  

1 hour ago, allison12 said:

Just throwing this out there...because I am going on a cruise in July.  I will be using the app TouchNote to send postcards/cards to my kids at camp.  You can create your own postcards using your photos from your phone and they make/send them!  2-5 days deliver in the US.  

Really a great idea, never used them but got one---nice looking card.

1 hour ago, redmaid said:

Our cruise finished on May 15th so plenty of time for them to be delivered.  Also, as I said, this is not the first time this happened.  Just wanted to warn people so that others don’t have very disappointed grandchildren.  At least this time it was the free Regent postcards ( so posted for free) but previously they were postcards we had bought and paid $1 each for postage.  Cruise was most enjoyable but this has soured our return.

Where was this cruise?Are you aware that postcards dont arrive remotely as fast as regular mail?

On 6/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, redmaid said:

Our cruise finished on May 15th so plenty of time for them to be delivered.  ... At least this time it was the free Regent postcards ( so posted for free) but previously they were postcards we had bought and paid $1 each for postage. 

Did you put stamps on them?  From which country?  We've encountered that type of situation before, where we had to be sure to coordinate when we handed in our postcards with the stamps being affixed.

The stamps were all dealt with by Reception.  This time we were told there was no charge as the postcards were of the ship.  The previous time they were locally bought cards so we were charged $1 per card.  

We're in that spot where the kids are too old to enjoy foreign stamps (mid-20s) and we don't have grandkids yet...but I'm just glad someone younger still knows what stamps are - it seems that everything is so electronic these days that stamps are kind of falling by the wayside.

Agree Bill.  We used to send postcards (and letters) but decided to go all digital - much easier.  In terms of Regent sending "free" postcards, I suppose you get what you pay for.  Just for the heck of it, I may send a "free" postcard to myself from the ship and see if it ever arrives.

Redmaid,

My experience was different than yours:

I sent a free postcard - a picture of the ship - this past winter from the Navigator to Friends in Australia -  after they got off but while the ship was still in Australia. They got the card a few days after I gave it to Reception.

I'm sorry you had a problem.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

25 minutes ago, redmaid said:

TravelCat - I think you are missing the point.  If Regent offer a service they should fulfil their obligation.

I have never seen this service advertised or offered? In the past I have asked the reception to post cards on my behalf and they have gladly obliged, but I didn’t assume this was part of the service? I was just grateful they offered.     Jean. 

1 hour ago, redmaid said:

TravelCat - I think you are missing the point.  If Regent offer a service they should fulfil their obligation.

In 33 cruises, I have not seen this "advertised" but do know that you can send free postcards.  I'm surprised that you feel that this "soured your return".  

In my opinion, if you really need a postcard to arrive at an overseas destination, go to a post office to mail them.  However, you mentioned that you don't want to take the time to do this (understandable) so perhaps you could explain this to your grandchildren and see if there is something else that you can bring them instead.  

As is often said on the Regent board....... this is definitely a first world problem:classic_ohmy:

I have used this service on my 5 Regent cruises to date. The postcards of the ship are in the stationery folder. Our grandchildren like to see the ships so I hand them in at Reception & they have always arrived.