Buying Gemstones (Emeralds) in Colombo Sri Lanka, what to look out for

asdf1245

Hi folks, has anyone been to Colombo, Sri Lanka, and purchased good quality gemstones ideally Emeralds???

Would like to know where from, what to look out for in terms of any dodgy goings on etc etc.

We've never been to Sri Lanka, only there for the day, my partner is hoping to find a good Emerald to bring 

back home.

Many thanks.

My advise would be to NOT buy any sort of gemstone in most countries overseas.

You are just asking to be ripped off with a bit of coloured glass.

My mother bought a so called Ruby in Thailand & when I looked at it under magnification it was all scratched.

As a Ruby is a Sapphire & the second hardest substance it can only be scratched by a Diamond.

• Like 1

If you do not know your gem stones then there is every chance whatever you buy from whatever shop in Sri Lanka you will suffer the consequences of buying a "mystery bag" which will turn out to be not what you thought you were buying and cost you money.

Bought an emerald years ago in Cartagena, Columbia. Did a lot of research before going , including guidebooks which indicated who were reputable sellers. Paid with credit card so I could stop payment if the stone was not as represented. Upon returning home brought the stone to our regular jeweler who appraised it as genuine and at a value higher than what we paid. You must be very cautious buying a blind item unless you are knowledgeable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 6:15 AM, asdf1245 said:

Hi folks, has anyone been to Colombo, Sri Lanka, and purchased good quality gemstones ideally Emeralds???

Would like to know where from, what to look out for in terms of any dodgy goings on etc etc.

We've never been to Sri Lanka, only there for the day, my partner is hoping to find a good Emerald to bring 

back home.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:15 AM, asdf1245 said:

Many thanks.

I would echo what dabear stated. I've watched a few documentaries on mining and always had a fascination with diamonds, gems, minerals etc. as well as how it all works behind the scenes, what we don't see when we look at the mesmerizing jewels or mysterious talismans. Some of the work is done fairly well and honest, some of it is dirty and exploitive. Research is your answer.

There's a lot to know in what goes into valuing a stone, much like anything else one would purchase. And as with purchasing something that can be expensive like a car, education, living place, etc., before spending a significant amount you want to know what is available for the money. You can get an emerald for US$500 but what size, quality, etc will it be? What do you expect? What do you want? 

The answer will vary greatly depending upon all of these variables coming into your full view and lining up within the parameters you have chosen. You can find what you wish in Sri Lanka and have a wonderful item to always remind you of the journey. Please be sure to make a sound choice and do the research in advance, even if you DO get a recommendation from someone here, do the proper vetting to be sure that they are a reliable seller in Colombo or whichever place in Sri Lanka you may purchase your stone in. 

Good luck and have a wonderful journey! 🙂