NYC - Miami Flights and Transfers

CruisingFox27

Looking for a little logistics advice for a US trip, we need to get a flight from LaGuardia NYC to Miami.

If we travel from 52 W 36th St, New York, NY to LaGuardia how long would we need to allow, and any additional for traffic (on a Saurday morning)?

Would the standard 2 hours prior to departure be sufficient time to arrive before our flight to check in and clear security?

We'd planned to overnight in Miami but this is no longer a option, so we need to make sure we can do the trip comfortably arriving at Port Miami early afternoon.

The flight options are 7am, 8am or 11am. I'm leaning to 8am and thinking of a hotel departure around 5am.

TIA

If you're flying domestically, you can arrive as late as 1 hour prior if checking a bag.

I'd prefer 2 hours, only to make sure bag doesn't get lost

I'd do 8am, but even with the 11am, it's what, a 2.5 hour flight? That'd have you into MIA at 1:30, let's say out the door by 2 and at port by 3, and that's if traffic is bad.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks, It's showing arrival at 14.23 for the 11am, I like the idea of another later flight available in case of issues with the first so the 8am works. We'll probably have lots of luggage and we aren't familiar with the airport, I'm assuming it's large, so do like to allow time to traverse from A to B without unnecessary rushing. And hopefully if we landed at 11.35am we could be on board by 1pm and relaxing.

It's large, but segmented, not too different than LGA, you can be out quick depending on airline, then you're just taking one roadway, the 836/Dolphin Expressway...airport to port, straight shot. With no traffic, quick and easy. At about noon on a weekday, it shouldn't be too bad

I now live in Central FL, so maybe that's why it's not 3.5 hours....LOL

• Like 1

I think LGA and MIA will be large compared to Belfast or Dublin. Although we've used major airports, including MIA previously, you never feel familiar unless it's your regular airport.

We travel on a Saturday does that improve traffic in NYC?  Oh, is the one roadway in Miami? Any idea on NYC on a Saturday.

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Are you cruise-moving to Seaside, CF?

I think so, if I can make the transfer timings work.

We'd like to sail on her and a week of sunshine is winning us over from cancelling. And it's the same price as our Armonia sailing. The elastic waistbands are back in the case 😂

• Haha 1

LGA is under long term construction and is miserable.  We just flew out of there 2 weeks ago, and received an email recommending we arrive at least 3 hours ahead of our flight.  We allowed 4 and were very glad we did.  Traffic to drop off and pick up is gridlocked due to all buses, shuttles and cars having to use one lane between terminals.  Once you are your terminal you will be fine, but do allow extra time to get there!  We have decided to skip LGA until all construction is finished (2-3 more years)!

Saturday morning traffic is much better for LGA.

For our cruise we chose a 7:30 option from LGA to Miami. We found it perfect as it got us to the cruise port in plenty of time. I found the Miami traffic worse then the NYC traffic on a Saturday morning.

Me-because I worry 😥 I'd pick the 7:00 for that just in case something happens. I'd rather be in Miami too early then in a panic in the LGA airport. 😉

NYC traffic early in the morning on a Saturday is not bad at all either.

Thanks all. I don't see any other options than LGA to MIA so we'll have to plan to fight through the construction chaos. In light of this we'll definitely go for the 8am flight - there are 3 others, which aren't ideal but as contingency, would allow us to arrive in time if there were any issues.