Do they keep all the artwork?

One of the (many) little pleasures about RCL ships is the eclectic choices of artwork they have, from pictures on the stairways, through huge installations over the atrium, to the little display cases down the corridors, and l always take time to enjoy the art, and read the little descriptive plaques alongside.

A few years ago, we sailed on Legend in what turned out to be her final season with RCL before being sold to TUI, and she now sails as 'Marella Discovery 2'.

I've just watched a short YouTube video of the ship, taken a few months ago, and that got me wondering what RCL do with all that artwork? From the video, it seems to have gone, so do RCL sell it, keep it for redistribution onto new ships, store it away (bit like the final scene in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark) ?

Anyone know?

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot
Typo

29 minutes ago, fscool said:

Doesn't RCL operate like a lot of art galleries where they don't actually own the paintings but are selling them on behalf of the artist(s) and RCL takes their 40% or so cut of the sale?

Different artwork. This is not the junk that Park West sells onboard, but the millions of $$ worth of permanent art and sculpture that decorates the various public areas on the ship. I would presume that anything that is an original work would either be re-located to a new ship, or sold through an established art house. Reproductions (like the Monet on deck 10 on Brilliance) would probably be "retired" or otherwise disposed of at auction.

DSC00926.JPG

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

It would be good to ask if it goes to an auction- some of it I would love to have in my home if it's being taken off the ship.

Although, most of the ones we see in the stairway are way too big...

10 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

A few years ago, we sailed on Legend in what turned out to be her final season with RCL before being sold to TUI, and she now sails as 'Marella Discovery 2'.

Anyone know?

Some Legend items were sold/auctioned on the final voyage, but not sure how many, if any, of the art around the ship that included.