Car Service Pick up time at Red Hook

TheRoadie

I'm thinking of ordering a car service to take us to Manhattan since we once got off and there we no taxis or cars with a long line waiting. Questions:

1. Has anyone recently been able to walk off the QM2 and get into a car?

2. How does UBER work at Red Hook?

3. If I order a car service, what time should I tell them to pick us up?

I'm sure all these questions have been asked before, but I couldn't find them.

There are three of us arriving on July28. So excited and want to begin packing!

We self disembark so are off early, we had a car booked for 7.45 to Newark - this time we used arecibo and have used Dial 7 with no problems in the past. There were plenty of cars/taxi's waiting. My son & mum used Uber there with no problem just over 18months ago. hth

42 minutes ago, TheRoadie said:

We are going to a hotel in Manhattan and I don't think they would like us arriving too early or I would do self-disembark. Does anyone remember what time the PG guest usually disembark?

The New York Landing Arrangements document I have from May states 9:00am as the disembarkation time for Princess Grill guests.

47 minutes ago, TheRoadie said:

We are going to a hotel in Manhattan and I don't think they would like us arriving too early or I would do self-disembark. Does anyone remember what time the PG guest usually disembark?

I'm sure they will gladly store your luggage until check in time while you go explore the city.  We do it all the time...sometimes we're even surprised with a room being available!

20 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

I'm sure they will gladly store your luggage until check in time while you go explore the city.  We do it all the time...sometimes we're even surprised with a room being available!

I agree with this.  It sounds like you are worried about dropping off you bags too early.  I have dropped off bags as early as 7:15 am and the hotel held them until the evening.  In once case they were even waiting in my room.  At first the desk person would  assumed I was checking out and wanted my bags held.  But they were okay with holding them until the afternoon check in.

(It is not a “norm”  to drop them off that early, but I needed to attend a conference at the last minute and no hotel had vacancies for the entire week, but a few different ones had a room for one of the different nights, so I made it work)

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:10 PM, TheRoadie said:

I'm thinking of ordering a car service to take us to Manhattan since we once got off and there we no taxis or cars with a long line waiting. Questions:

1. Has anyone recently been able to walk off the QM2 and get into a car?

2. How does UBER work at Red Hook?

3. If I order a car service, what time should I tell them to pick us up?

I'm sure all these questions have been asked before, but I couldn't find them.

There are three of us arriving on July28. So excited and want to begin packing!

My car service always picks me up about 10AM

A friend recently did this but did not do self luggage carrying as she was in a wheelchair. There was apparently a huge queue for immigration that was taking at least 40 mins. The porter took straight to the front of the queue but she would been pushed to get her flight from Newark which left a 1.00. There was also a cycle race in Red Hook that day. 

So allow yourself plenty of time - I suggest that you book your car for 45 mins after your disembarkation time,

• Like 1

When we arrived in NY on May 24th we (in PG) were supposed to debark at 8:50.  We were held in the lounge because of the long immigration lines.  After about 15 minutes they announced that US citizens could debark because that line was shorter (however when we got there it appeared to be just one long line). We got a porter who cut the que (I agree with Mickb that the line had to be at least 40 minutes, if not more!) and we waited about 10 minutes and then were on our way. It would be difficult to say at what time to arrange a car service.  We took a taxi but I think a lot of people were doing Uber.  Hope this little bit of info is helpful and enjoy your cruise!

We customarily pre-book our car service in NY (we use Dial7) and we have done so for this trip (We're doing 6 days pre-cruise to see shows) JFK -> Hotel and Hotel -> Pier. But....

We no longer pre-schedule service from Red Hook, however. In recent years, there have been different delays and pre-scheduling is now more difficult. However, there have been plenty of cars and taxis available, and Dial7 pickup is pretty fast if I needed to call/use an app.

Especially since it's not a matter of making a flight at a certain time, merely arriving early at your hotel at some point and likely checking your bags. No real reason to pre-reserve if you don't need to.

I KNOW, I reeeeealy like having all these details nailed-down in advance (preferably pre-paid). But this one is better done on the spot. (Just have your DIal7 app or whatever as a backup, if you need to arrange a car if there are none available after you clear customs)

Edited by MarkBearSF

...on a related topic, I'd not expect really great connectivity, but it's in one of the most quickly-developing areas of NY (but still lots of nothing, concrete, and a really big metal ship). I've had problems on a couple of occasions 2-3 years ago, but that is likely worthless now.

There is no wireless provided by the port itself for passengers, that I'm aware of. (And might be a security risk in the arrivals area)

Edited by MarkBearSF