First Time Regent Cruiser's Expectations Exceeded

50 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

The weather is always a wild card but it’s worth trying for. When you are planning ahead, making specialty restaurant reservations and such, set aside a night when you are in port late as that’s the perfect setting for dinner on the balcony (not moving). With notice, you can order nearly anything you can dream of, even if it isn’t on the regulate menus. One night I had a whole grilled branzino and another night roast duck. Such a luxurious treat! 

Thank you again and we will work on the menu for that very special dinner.  No duck for me though! 

Mark, we are Norma and Mitch from Alabama, and we were on the Explorer with you.  It was our first cruise on the Explorer, although it was not our first Regent cruise.  We agree that everything about the cruise was wonderful.  The entertainment also exceeded our expectations, especially Will Martin.  The service was exemplary from our room steward to the Captain.  We are booked on the 2021 World Cruise on the Mariner and are going to book another cruise on Regent in-between.  

So glad you enjoyed yourselves, and welcome to the Regent family.

3 hours ago, Lady's Mom said:

Mark, we are Norma and Mitch from Alabama, and we were on the Explorer with you.  It was our first cruise on the Explorer, although it was not our first Regent cruise.  We agree that everything about the cruise was wonderful.  The entertainment also exceeded our expectations, especially Will Martin.  The service was exemplary from our room steward to the Captain.  We are booked on the 2021 World Cruise on the Mariner and are going to book another cruise on Regent in-between.  

So glad you enjoyed yourselves, and welcome to the Regent family.

Thank you very much Norma and Mitch.  Our first experience with Regent proved remarkable and impressive.  Prior to our cruise I couldn’t imagine the world cruise in terms of being on a ship for 130 days.  Now, my opinion is completely different.  My wife and I miss being on the ship and can’t wait to go again.  When we retire, it is likely we will take a World Cruise as well, on Regent of course.  Continuing to marvel at the wonderful experience we had......................

Believe me, we never thought that we would do it either.  However, last year we were on the Navigator with folks who were staying on for 91 days.  They convinced us that it is doable without causing each other harm.  That experience, combined with encouragement from wonderful people on the 2021 WC thread, convinced us that we should take the plunge!  That combined with an itinerary that hits many of our bucket list destinations, made it work for us.  Now that my husband has made the deposit, he seems to be as excited as I am.  That being said, we could not have even thought about it until he retired two years ago.  When you are ready, there will always be a World Cruise or Grand Voyage on Regent for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Only two things keeping us from a World Cruise in the near future:

Argo-Small.jpg.be8fb10a66c8602f8129fc65ac11d9a1.jpgImage result for stacks of money

I have the first one and don't have the second one...   :classic_laugh:

You and I have a lot in common.  I'm impressed by your pile of cash photo - precisely the amount needed for a world cruise.

4 hours ago, Lady's Mom said:

Believe me, we never thought that we would do it either.  However, last year we were on the Navigator with folks who were staying on for 91 days.  They convinced us that it is doable without causing each other harm.  That experience, combined with encouragement from wonderful people on the 2021 WC thread, convinced us that we should take the plunge!  That combined with an itinerary that hits many of our bucket list destinations, made it work for us.  Now that my husband has made the deposit, he seems to be as excited as I am.  That being said, we could not have even thought about it until he retired two years ago.  When you are ready, there will always be a World Cruise or Grand Voyage on Regent for you.

I'm 5 to 7 years away from calling it good.  Will do short itineraries until then and focus on longer sailings after.  Want to go as long as I can be active.  Regent is a wonderful way to travel.

Mark, enjoyed your enthusiastic review and wondering what other cruise lines you've used? We've never tried Regent but are considering it. We've been on most major lines (not Carnival) and some that no longer exist. The closest we've come to Regent is a Silversea med cruise 10 years ago and we had conflicting feelings about it. Great accommodations, staff and service; good (not great) food; our biggest issue was being bored onboard. Enjoyed the ports and excursions, but on the ship the choices of bars, entertainment and activities were limited to say the least. For us that made for some less than stellar evenings while cruising to the next port of call. We're older now, retired, but active. In recent years we've cruised with Celebrity in suites, which gives us the activity choices of a big ship and a certain level of "luxury" with great accommodations, and a bar, gourmet restaurant and full-service sundeck only available to suite guests. But Celebrity's pricing continues to climb and when we look at another med cruise, and add the cost of Business Class air, we're now on an even par with Regent (as well as other luxury lines). As UUNetBill noted, at this level of investment one tends to go with what they know. Can you, or anyone else on this thread, give us an idea of the onboard life that Regent offers? I've searched for dailies (a great way to view onboard activities) but haven't found them. Thanks, and if I knew how to post pictures here I'd post one of our Golden Retriever who ensures we never stray from home for too long.

• Like 1

XtaSea, I could have written your post minus the Golden Retriever...which I could not see.  I am a very active person and need lots of activities on board to make me happy.  I found Crystal fills the bill, but itineraries are not working for DH and I.  I am looking to book our first Regent cruise and look forward to Regent regulars telling us the different activities we can enjoy while on board.  Personally, I would love to have available dance classes, cardio classes in the gym, cooking demonstrations, et al.  I will appreciate your input!!

XtraSea - we are have sailed Regent many times but have also sailed on Silversea (3 times) Celebrity (1 time), Oceania  (2 times) and NCL (1 time).  On Celebrity, we stayed in a Royal suite and it was very nice as was Luminae and the private lounge (forgot the name of it).  However, no matter how hard mainstream and premium cruise lines try to have a luxury "section" of a ship, it really does not compare to a true luxury cruise line (IMHO).  

In terms of what daily life is on Regent, it strongly depends upon the itinerary.  On port intensive itineraries, passengers are ashore most of the day so there is less to do onboard the ship.  However, when there are sea days, there are wine tastings, games (passengers vs. officers), lectures, cooking demonstrations (one demonstration is a take-off of Iron Chef where volunteers work with officers to prepare the best meal, etc.).  If I were onboard a ship, I could post the events on CC but that will have to wait until we are onboard in November.  I will say that we are never bored on a sea days and sometimes there is too much to do and we need to make a choice.

There are no special areas on Regent for passengers that stay in upper level suites....... once outside your suite (Regent ships are all suites), everyone is treated the same.  There are no inside suites and, with the exception of the Explorer* and Mariner, entry level suites are very spacious and all have balconies (one small exception is Navigator that has a few suites without balconies).  

You will not find the level of entertainment that you will find on larger, non-luxury, ships.  There is entertainment in the lounges every night (both before an after dinner) and there is generally a show in the theater but again, the shows are not grandiose.  

On some itineraries, passengers tend to go to bed early which leaves limited late-night venues.  With included excursions - some of which start 8:00 a.m. and end in the early evening, by the time you shower, get dressed for dinner, etc. going to bed early isn't surprising.  At home we go to bed after midnight but some nights on Regent we are in bed at 10:00 p.m.  Sounds boring but, for us, it isn't. We are so tired that we sleep extremely well on the ship with this amazing beds.  

It is important to have a TA that is familiar with Regent - has sailed on Regent and offers a percentage back on your cruise fare (plus on board credits on some cruises).  Some people have TA's that they have worked with for years but are not familiar with luxury cruise lines.  If they are not familiar with Regent, it is more difficult to be of any assistance to you. 

Wish that you knew how to post photos - would love to see your Golden Retriever.  As you know, they are amazing dogs🐾

• Like 1

Just to add on to what Jackie said - it really depends on what kind of entertainment you're looking for in the evening.  Many people feel that the shows and other entertainment are geared toward a more, er, mature crowd.  My wife and I started cruising Regent when we were 40 and 48, repsectively, and we found the night life a bit sedate - but that suited us just fine.  You'll have a hard time finding any lively venues past midnight, usually, and depending on the itinerary and demographics it can be awful quiet past 10:00 on some sailings.  That said, I've never ever had any problem finding interesting and fun people to hang out with after dinner - I used to go to the Connoisseur Club for scotch and cigars and we had some fantastic discussions about all kinds of subjects.  There will usually be at least one lounge that's a bit more 'happening' than the others, and unless you like the club scene you can usually find something to keep you occupied.

I know the Beatles nights are usually a big hit, with ample booze flowing and people dancing - that kind of keeps the evening going a bit later, but like TC said, many people will hit the rack fairly early so they can get up in time for the next day's excursions.  It's rare that I'm out past midnight or one on a 'port night' because I want to be able to enjoy the port.  I remember (vaguely) one long bourbon-filled night hanging out with an Australian couple laughing and doing karaoke until the wee hours...and man, the bourbon was flowing, I tell ya...had a great time, but the next day in Kusadasi was a bit rough.  Okay, more than a bit rough.  But the point is, if you want to hang out and let loose in the evening, there will often be people who want to hang out with you.  But just be aware that like anything else, your mileage may vary....

Want to thank TravelCat and UUNetBill for the input and advice. We're not really "club scene" folks anymore, although with enough bourbon I can convince myself that my freestyle dance moves are almost legendary (not necessarily in a good way). We do enjoy most of the big production shows, but also smaller venues with a pianist, a classical music trio, a comedian, etc. We've booked many excursions, both ship provided and private, but have usually avoided those that started too early (like 8 a.m.). Still, from the information provided, it does seem that Regent is more active than Silversea, our lone luxury line experience (note to UUNetBill...on that cruise we did enjoy the company of some outgoing Australians; also, with the exception of Ephesus, in our experience the only thing you missed in Kusadasi was rug salesmen). I agree with TravelCat about a good TA. The one I usually use--a large online agency that provides major add-on perks--didn't seem to have much to offer when queried about moving to luxury lines. Also receive a magazine called Virtuoso Traveler but after an initial contact and response with the TA who sends it (based on some purchased mailing list, I'm sure), I never heard from her again. Maybe I'll contact Regent directly knowing I can move a reservation to a TA for added perks later. And I'll also look at Crystal, thanks to the suggestion by Camillus112.

Oh, and I think I figured out how to post a photo. Here's my best bud, taken during a freak snowstorm in Alabama. Used this shot for our Christmas card. When we travel he's with our house sitter, but we still can't stand more than 12 days away.DSCN0845.thumb.JPG.7068d79dc4e977ad3f6d458be96d9efe.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XtaSea said:

Want to thank TravelCat and UUNetBill for the input and advice. We're not really "club scene" folks anymore, although with enough bourbon I can convince myself that my freestyle dance moves are almost legendary (not necessarily in a good way). We do enjoy most of the big production shows, but also smaller venues with a pianist, a classical music trio, a comedian, etc. We've booked many excursions, both ship provided and private, but have usually avoided those that started too early (like 8 a.m.). Still, from the information provided, it does seem that Regent is more active than Silversea, our lone luxury line experience (note to UUNetBill...on that cruise we did enjoy the company of some outgoing Australians; also, with the exception of Ephesus, in our experience the only thing you missed in Kusadasi was rug salesmen). I agree with TravelCat about a good TA. The one I usually use--a large online agency that provides major add-on perks--didn't seem to have much to offer when queried about moving to luxury lines. Also receive a magazine called Virtuoso Traveler but after an initial contact and response with the TA who sends it (based on some purchased mailing list, I'm sure), I never heard from her again. Maybe I'll contact Regent directly knowing I can move a reservation to a TA for added perks later. And I'll also look at Crystal, thanks to the suggestion by Camillus112.

Oh, and I think I figured out how to post a photo. Here's my best bud, taken during a freak snowstorm in Alabama. Used this shot for our Christmas card. When we travel he's with our house sitter, but we still can't stand more than 12 days away.DSCN0845.thumb.JPG.7068d79dc4e977ad3f6d458be96d9efe.JPG

He is so beautiful (or should I say handsome).  Thanks so much for posting his photo!

4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

He is so beautiful (or should I say handsome).  Thanks so much for posting his photo!

And thank you for the kind compliment. The only thing more gorgeous than his looks is his personality. We live in a private, very pet-friendly neighborhood of 69 homes, and he's the neighborhood mascot. More people know his name than know mine.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:54 PM, XtaSea said:

Mark, enjoyed your enthusiastic review and wondering what other cruise lines you've used? We've never tried Regent but are considering it. We've been on most major lines (not Carnival) and some that no longer exist. The closest we've come to Regent is a Silversea med cruise 10 years ago and we had conflicting feelings about it. Great accommodations, staff and service; good (not great) food; our biggest issue was being bored onboard. Enjoyed the ports and excursions, but on the ship the choices of bars, entertainment and activities were limited to say the least. For us that made for some less than stellar evenings while cruising to the next port of call. We're older now, retired, but active. In recent years we've cruised with Celebrity in suites, which gives us the activity choices of a big ship and a certain level of "luxury" with great accommodations, and a bar, gourmet restaurant and full-service sundeck only available to suite guests. But Celebrity's pricing continues to climb and when we look at another med cruise, and add the cost of Business Class air, we're now on an even par with Regent (as well as other luxury lines). As UUNetBill noted, at this level of investment one tends to go with what they know. Can you, or anyone else on this thread, give us an idea of the onboard life that Regent offers? I've searched for dailies (a great way to view onboard activities) but haven't found them. Thanks, and if I knew how to post pictures here I'd post one of our Golden Retriever who ensures we never stray from home for too long.

XtaSea,

Over the course of thirty years of marriage, we cruised five times prior to this most recent Regent experience. Cruise lines were Carnival three times (prior to kids and with kids), Norwegian (Hawaii with kids), and Holland America (Baltic 10 night w/o our kids). Regent came about as a result of my sister’s invitation to join her and her husband on their sixth Regent cruise - and are we ever glad we did!  

In answer to your inquiries regarding life onboard, our experience was not full of onboard activities due to a port intensive itinerary with tours at every port. We did enjoy spa appointments twice each (my wife and I), the workout area, (nice and NEVER crowded), two Cooking Classes (fun!), the Coffee Connection every morning (best latte ever according to why wife), the fresh squeezed juice bar also every morning (a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to choose from juiced right before your eyes), and room service breakfast 6 mornings (exquisite).  Following the morning routine it would be time to gather in the showroom (Constellation Theater) for the very efficient and organized tour departures.  Once back from our tour we would either get ready to meet my sister and her husband, usually in the Observation Lounge for drinks before dinner (Ross’s piano music is very good) or, if arriving back to ship earlier, we had our spa appointments or cooking classes.  We didn’t do trivia, the deck games, or other onboard planned activities because our time seemed to always be filled with other things.  After our pre-dinner debriefing over cocktails we would have dinner (every meal was excellent), then to the theater for a show (all shows were entertaining, some better than others), and then back to one of the lounges (usually Observation) for a nightcap.  Some nights we would grab a drink and simply walk around the ship admiring its beauty. Nightlife is not wild and crazy by any stretch of the imagination yet we were fine with the slower pace because generally our days were mostly filled with activity so by night we were ready to dial it back a bit.  

Hoping I have provided a glimpse of one passenger’s experience onboard in answer to your questions.  

• Like 1

Mark...thanks so much for the additional detailed "life aboard" information. You and the others--this entire thread--exemplifies to me the value of Cruise Critic and its many boards. We've been cruising on and off since the debut of RC's Sovereign of the Seas (1987 or '88?) and I think our upcoming cruise in Feb is number 20 or 21.

Over the years we've definitely dialed back the wild and crazy party atmosphere (a major reason I can't remember if it's 20 or 21), and with the exception of an occasional 3-day run to New Orleans (Royal Sonesta, French Quarter, the Treme, etc.), we've trended toward a more relaxed travel experience. Your description of your days and nights on Regent sounds pretty inviting. And while we've usually planned our own excursions--everything we're doing in Feb we've planned privately--having them included in the cruise package makes them more attractive. I've actually run some cost comparisons based on a 10-night Med cruise in Fall '2020. I looked at Celebrity, Azamara, Silversea, Oceania, Viking and Regent (may take a look at Crystal, too). I'll note that I don't think Azamara is in the "luxury" category, but our Celebrity loyalty level transfers, and with RCL/Celebrity apparently now bringing Silversea under it's umbrella, it's just a matter of time before their loyalty program gets involved. Still, after adding in certain perks (tips, top-shelf drinks, excursions, business class air) there's really not much difference in overall cost among the group.

Given the significant investment of cruising the Med, as well as our past experiences and those of friends who have cruised luxury lines, we'll now take a very close and serious look at Regent. I'll start with my trusted online TA and try to find a rep who has cruised Regent and other luxury lines (I sometimes communicate with their VP of Client Services and I'll bet she can put with the person I need). Then I'll return to this Regent board for actual suite/itinerary/excursion advice.

Again...great info...thanks much!

Mark - our first ever Regent cruise was to Alaska (Seward to Vancouver) on the Mariner.  In a Penthouse suite.  Those suites are lovely.  Very roomy - but all one room.   Nice bathroom and large closet.   I have not experienced the showers on the Mariner - in the days when we cruised on her I still liked the bathtubs - but I am sure they are great.   Having a Butler is a BIG plus and I could not imagine cruising without one.  It seems that in "Butler school" they have never taught the meaning of the word "no".

As for climate - luck of the draw I think.  We had serious rain in Seward.  Then it turned nice and we had 30°C weather in Juneau - pizza on the balcony there for dinner I remember - after a long day of wonderful sightseeing, whale watching etc.    Take layers and put them on, take them off as needed.   The scenery is amazing (and we are from Switzerland...)   We loved that cruise AND the Mariner.  Subsequently did a Panama Canal cruise, a Lima to BA one and a TA on her.  Great ship!

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 1:08 PM, XtaSea said:

Mark...thanks so much for the additional detailed "life aboard" information. You and the others--this entire thread--exemplifies to me the value of Cruise Critic and its many boards. We've been cruising on and off since the debut of RC's Sovereign of the Seas (1987 or '88?) and I think our upcoming cruise in Feb is number 20 or 21.

Over the years we've definitely dialed back the wild and crazy party atmosphere (a major reason I can't remember if it's 20 or 21), and with the exception of an occasional 3-day run to New Orleans (Royal Sonesta, French Quarter, the Treme, etc.), we've trended toward a more relaxed travel experience. Your description of your days and nights on Regent sounds pretty inviting. And while we've usually planned our own excursions--everything we're doing in Feb we've planned privately--having them included in the cruise package makes them more attractive. I've actually run some cost comparisons based on a 10-night Med cruise in Fall '2020. I looked at Celebrity, Azamara, Silversea, Oceania, Viking and Regent (may take a look at Crystal, too). I'll note that I don't think Azamara is in the "luxury" category, but our Celebrity loyalty level transfers, and with RCL/Celebrity apparently now bringing Silversea under it's umbrella, it's just a matter of time before their loyalty program gets involved. Still, after adding in certain perks (tips, top-shelf drinks, excursions, business class air) there's really not much difference in overall cost among the group.

Given the significant investment of cruising the Med, as well as our past experiences and those of friends who have cruised luxury lines, we'll now take a very close and serious look at Regent. I'll start with my trusted online TA and try to find a rep who has cruised Regent and other luxury lines (I sometimes communicate with their VP of Client Services and I'll bet she can put with the person I need). Then I'll return to this Regent board for actual suite/itinerary/excursion advice.

I can virtually guarantee you will enjoy your experience on Regent. We were left wanting for nothing.  My sister told me to get ready to be spoiled prior to the trip and she was absolutely correct.  The ship itself is beautiful beyond imagination yet it is the service that is most stunning. I was left wondering how Regent is able to secure such consistent and exemplary performance from so many staff members who are literally from every corner of the globe. Choose Regent and you won’t regret it. 

On 7/1/2019 at 2:08 PM, XtaSea said:

A brief history - my wife and I took our first cruise with Regent back in '09 during the downturn and many ships were sailing at WAY below capacity so there were some awesome deals to be had.  I honestly didn't think I'd like cruising, and looking at the prices (even back then) I thought it was kind of pricey.  We were living in Colorado at the time and were looking at a week in Alaska...but when we looked at the prices and flight times, well, the Med wasn't that much more money or time, so the Med it was.  We looked at everything from a Carnival cruise to sailing cruises to river cruises to luxury ocean cruises...and you see who won out.  We tried to factor in ALL costs, airfare, tips, drinks, excursions, etc...and when the dust settled Regent (for us) emerged as the best deal - not the least expensive, but the best overall value for us.  I approached our first cruise with a bit of trepidation, though, because I remembered 'The Love Boat' and, well, you know...

I'd spent quite a few years in Europe while in the Air Force but hadn't been to hardly any of the port cities we visited on that first cruise.  That first cruise was definitely an eye-opener.  We played it safe and just booked a 7-night and by day two we already regretted that decision.  By day three we had met with the cruise consultant and booked our next one.  There have been times we've had three cruises booked - it's that addictive.  And that's what we love about Regent - we pick the itinerary we want, we call our TA, he sets us up, and we're done.  Write one check (rather large, I know) but that's it - you don't need to spend another dime if you don't want to.  We usually upcharge a few excursions or take a cooking class or something - but those are totally optional.  We took my mom and her husband a few years ago and she was amazed that she didn't have to sign for anything nor pay for anything extra...it's just a few weeks of pampering, relaxing, and just enjoying life.  What could be better??

Anyhow, sorry I got wordy - it's my next-to-last day at this job and frankly, I'm just kind of catching up online.   :-)  I'm sure whatever cruise you take you'll have a great time...just sit back and enjoy!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Anyhow, sorry I got wordy - it's my next-to-last day at this job and frankly, I'm just kind of catching up online.   :-)  I'm sure whatever cruise you take you'll have a great time...just sit back and enjoy!!

Wordy? Not at all, at least not in my book. Here's the thing...I've been on other boards, sometimes asking questions but much more often responding to the questions of others. I find the dialogue usually is short and hopefully to the point, but often drifts off course, sometimes wildly diverging from the original question. In depth information can be hard to come by. This is my first Regent thread involvement, but I've found responses to be highly informative, to the point and given with entertaining and insightful back stories...plus I also learned how to post a photo!

We started cruising in the late '80s with the launch of Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas...the largest cruise ship in the world at the time. We had grown tired of Gulf Coast beaches, road tripping through the U.S. and all-inclusives in Cancun. We decided to try something different, and like you, I was hesitant and envisioned seven days on a floating prison. My feelings softened when our bus transfer from Miami International pulled up to the ship. I was absolutely in awe of that gorgeous vessel, and by day three I was in love with cruising. We've cruised many times in the three-plus decades since, our choices improving as disposable income allowed. Obviously, some choices have been better than others, but even the worst cruises were loads of fun...it's always what you make of it. And while the awe may be gone the excitement remains, and oddly, not just in the cruising, but in the planning as well.

So as I look to the future to plan another Mediterranean cruise, the responses I've received on this thread have me excited about Regent. Be as wordy as you want...I've enjoyed the dialogue...and whether your last day on the job is marking a new career adventure or, better yet, the absolute joy of an active retirement (congrats either way), we all may just meet up in the future on a Regent ship. Alcohol's included, so the whiskey's on me.