June 8th Sailing of the Ruby Princess, Just Back

Eaglecw

We just got back from Alaska on the Ruby Princess. The weather could have been much better. Sunday our first sea day the seas were really rough, a lot of people were sea sick. Juneau it was cold and wet, and we had light rain most of the day. Skagway, it was cold, overcast, clouds down around 1000 feet most of the day, there were a few light showers. It was pretty windy in the afternoon. Glacier Bay, it was the worst I’ve ever seen it in 15 cruises. Very cold, 49 in the morning and windy and wet. We couldn’t see the tops of the mountains, it was kind of a disappointment but we made due. We still got to see the glaciers. Ketchikan was a beautiful morning, partly cloudy. We had to be back onboard by 12:30 pm so there isn’t a lot of time to do much. Victoria it was partly cloudy, a nice evening. The Ruby Princess is a lovely ship. The crew was excellent as was the food. Never had a bad meal, bar service was excellent. If you have questions I have got answers

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Haha....sounds like Colorado. 25 and heavy snow one day and 70 the next!  😀

Want to throw in a tornado for good measure.   An equal opportunity state. 😃

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, land lover said:

Are the street tacos still being served at the grill?

Unfortunate about the weather....

Yes they had the Street Tacos, I didn't have any. I did have a Hot Dog, they don't have the brats any more, they went away when they did the new menu. I had the Triple smoked burger once, it was kind of sorry I got it, it wasn't the best I've ever had. I had a cheese burger one afternoon in the MDR, there wasn't anything on it, plain, no mayo, no mustard, no secret sauce, nothing. I don't think they know how to make a good burger. Overall the food was good.

Edited by Eaglecw

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Sorry the weather was not better;  have you cruised Alaska before this?  

We are from the Pacific Northwest so it was like a normal November day for us. Glacier Bay day was the worse day, an interesting day, but it turned out OK. This was our 16th cruise to Alaska out of Seattle, we do it every year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Oh wow. You are seasoned alaskan cruisers

We are only about 40 minutes away from Pier 91 in Seattle, it's a little to handy sometimes but we enjoy the cruises out of Seattle. We've never tired of going to Alaska, we never do the same things.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:13 PM, Eaglecw said:

We are from the Pacific Northwest so it was like a normal November day for us. Glacier Bay day was the worse day, an interesting day, but it turned out OK. This was our 16th cruise to Alaska out of Seattle, we do it every year.

Wow!  We are  going on our 11th round trip Seattle to Alaska .. love Glacier Bay.  Guess we are newbies!

15 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

Wow!  We are  going on our 11th round trip Seattle to Alaska .. love Glacier Bay.  Guess we are newbies!

Living 40 minutes away from Pier 91 is a little to handy. I'm thinking about going again this summer. Another handy cruise for locals is the round trip cruise out of Seattle down South to San Francisco on the Star Princess in September.

Edited by Eaglecw

We have been on the very same cruise and can only stress your statements. Wonderful food and an excellent crew. 

Went on Star Princess the following Sunday and just returned today. Weatherwise not much better as we missed Tracy Arm Fjord due to fog and Victoria due to high wind. Naturalist also was a disaster. 

Compared to Ruby, the Star crew not came anywhere near the Ruby crew. 

Cheers,

Dennis 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, Eaglecw said:

We just got back from Alaska on the Ruby Princess. The weather could have been much better. Sunday our first sea day the seas were really rough, a lot of people were sea sick. Juneau it was cold and wet, and we had light rain most of the day. Skagway, it was cold, overcast, clouds down around 1000 feet most of the day, there were a few light showers. It was pretty windy in the afternoon. Glacier Bay, it was the worst I’ve ever seen it in 15 cruises. Very cold, 49 in the morning and windy and wet. We couldn’t see the tops of the mountains, it was kind of a disappointment but we made due. We still got to see the glaciers. Ketchikan was a beautiful morning, partly cloudy. We had to be back onboard by 12:30 pm so there isn’t a lot of time to do much. Victoria it was partly cloudy, a nice evening. The Ruby Princess is a lovely ship. The crew was excellent as was the food. Never had a bad meal, bar service was excellent. If you have questions I have got answers

We were on the same cruise and can echo Eaglecw observations.  It was unfortunate that the weather played such an important part of the cruise but it was simply awful, cloudy, misty, light rain and cold. We were really looking forward to the 9 hour van/train tour in Skagway but with the thick mist, we couldn't even see the road ahead going up - quite scary.  The train down was interesting but with cloudy grey skies, and thick mist most of the way it was disappointing.   Glacier Bay was a great disappointment, dark grey skies, windy and wet.  Walking around in Juneau in the rain and in Ketchikan with the crowds, we found uninteresting with all those jewelry stores one after another.  As this would be our one and only visit to Alaska, we were sad not to see her at her best.

We have cruised on Ruby Princess many times and know what to expect but we found this particular cruise to be very casual. Jeans, sweat shirts, baseball hats and tee shirts were the normal wear day and evening but on the two formal nights, we did see a few jackets, shirts and ties.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:17 PM, Travelnplane said:

We have been on the very same cruise and can only stress your statements. Wonderful food and an excellent crew. 

Went on Star Princess the following Sunday and just returned today. Weatherwise not much better as we missed Tracy Arm Fjord due to fog and Victoria due to high wind. Naturalist also was a disaster. 

Compared to Ruby, the Star crew not came anywhere near the Ruby crew. 

Cheers,

Dennis 

Can I ask why the Naturalist was a disaster? It's my future dream job, and I'm trying to get as much info about it as possible! I've heard that some cruisers don't like the delivery style of one of the Naturalists who is often on the Princess Alaska runs.