Summit Blu vs MDR

Ambuoroko

My wife and I are looking at possibly booking an Aqua Class room on the Summit in July. 

My wife is a very picky eater.  Is it possible for her to order from the MDR menu to Blu?  Or is it difficult to dine in the MDR one night if she can't find something in Blu?

I've seen several posts claiming this is possible, but they all seem to be older. 

I've always been able to order from the MDR if I don't like anything at Blu. Haven't tried it on my most recent cruise (this past February) but in the past it has always been possible. I can be a picky eater, too 😀

Also, on one sailing, I really enjoyed a tomato and balsamic appetizer they served. And I asked if it was possible to get it again during the cruise. Our waiter told me to let him know the day before if I'd like it the next night so he could have the chef prepare it and they did. They've always been very accommodating in Blu. (We like to dine at the same time, table, and with the same servers throughout our cruise!) 

On our cruise on Millennium last year, we ordered off the MDR menu many times in Blu.  Some folks have recently reported they could not do so on other M class ships.  Blu always offers everyday items such as french onion soup, escargot, salmon, chicken, and New York steak.  I believe you can dine in the MDR if you like.

Getting items from the MDR menu in Blu is more likely on the  M Class ships as the kitchens are close together since Blu and its kitchen were carved out the  MDR &.  MDR kitchen.

The S Class ships were designed to accommodate Blu so the kitchen for Blu is aft next to a Blu, where as the MDR kitchen is midship on Deck 2- quite a distance for a waiter to go to get a item from the MDR. 

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

Getting items from the MDR menu in Blu is more likely on the  M Class ships as the kitchens are close together since Blu and its kitchen were carved out the  MDR &.  MDR kitchen.

Since the OP is sailing on the Summit, an M Class ship, the odds are in his favor. We've never tried to order from the MDR menu in Blu but since Blu dinners are prepared to order instead of pre-plated like the MDR, it's easy to substitute items. I've also witnessed other guests speaking with the Maitre D' about preparing very specific off-menu items. Blu has much more flexibility than the MDR.

Look at the Blu menus that are on a variety of web sites.  Google it and look under "images".  The menu changes along the way but it would give you an idea of what to expect.  They always have a set menu of steak, chicken and salmon.  

They can make reasonable accommodations (gluten, low salt) , but it isn't a gourmet restaurant