r/t vs one way flight

TriumphGuy

5 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

OP here - I was able to book ORD-ATL-FLL (Delta)and CDG-ORG, (Delta/Air France) premium economy seats with a non-stop from CDG-ORD, through FlightEase. Flexible air, don't need to pay til final cruise payment. Price was $2276 total, r/t for both of us, which I think is reasonable. Better than the $5000+ results I was getting.

I will check back from time to time, if I can score Business Class for not much more money, I'll go for it.

Thanks for the help.

That’s an excellent price.  That’s really two for the price of one which is so good reasonable is an understatement.   

If we had the choice on a transatlantic flight between TAP and United, we would select TAP in a heartbeat.  And we have.

There are many very good international airlines out there that some people may not be familiar with. This does not mean that they are sketchy, have poor service, whatever.  Also, of course, some not so good ones.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, iancal said:

If we had the choice on a transatlantic flight between TAP and United, we would select TAP in a heartbeat.  And we have.

There are many very good international airlines out there that some people may not be familiar with. This does not mean that they are sketchy, have poor service, whatever.  Also, of course, some not so good ones.

Our trade off has always been how we can earn or use our frequent flyer status and miles.   Because of that we almost exclusively fly on Delta or American.   Doesn’t help that we don’t live in or all that close to a major hub city.  Basically means we have minimally two flights to get most anywhere unless our destination happens to be a major hub city.   For a cruise we’re looking at for next year out of Ft Lauderdale we’ll either have to fly to Atlanta, Charlotte,  or Dallas to get to Ft Lauderdale.  The same basic hubs would be involved if we flying to a more distant destination like Europe.   Makes most of the lower cost International airlines a little less attractive.

Our plans often give us the option of selecting international carriers on points tickets and receiving points credit on member airlines.  This past January we flew Korean Airlines to Asia on our Delta Points ticket.  We have booked points travel on with Austrian, TAP, Copa, and other Aeroplan Star Alliance partners.  

We  dumped our Air Canada Aeroplan accounts in favor of the United Mileage Plus plan because we get better points on United and  the admin fees on points tickets are considerably less expensive.  Alas, our airline and hotel points accounts are running on fumes after eight years of retirement.  We have since enjoyed some incredibly attractive fares on several of the discount airlines that are owned by the majors.....Jetstar Australia, Scoot, Vueling, and soon with Transavia in Europe.  Some of which were nothing more that code shares with their parent airline at considerably less ticket cost.

Edited by iancal

19 hours ago, doublebzz said:

So which is it - appears to be a difference of opinion?  I have employed this tactic in the past before Flight Ease which I agree offers attractive one way fares.  I would always notify the airline I was cancelling;  you then have a year to rebook the return flight.  I would just let the year run out and never heard anything more from the airline.  For those moralists who think I'm cheating, I would ask what moral or ethical justification is there for charging many times the cost of an unneeded round trip ticket for one way or the other insidious fees airlines have placed on their fares.

There is a difference.  The one poster mentioned calling the airline to cancel the return trip.You cannot just not show up. That is where the problem lies.  You can, however, cancel and rebook within a certain period of time.  Many people plan their cruises around that plan:  Buy a R/T and leave the return open.   The following year they cruise to Europe and fly back.  

I don't see what one's moral or ethical objections have anything to do with an airline's rule and regulations.  If one objects to them, don't fly with that airline.  I'm not sure, however, that I see the practice of just letting the year run out as cheating.  I do see that not notifying of a cancellation, thereby causing someone to lose an available seat, could be considered as such.  If nothing else, it is certainly inconsiderate of other passengers.  I understand that this was not was doublebzz was suggesting, however.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

There is a difference.  The one poster mentioned calling the airline to cancel the return trip.You cannot just not show up. That is where the problem lies.  You can, however, cancel and rebook within a certain period of time.  Many people plan their cruises around that plan:  Buy a R/T and leave the return open.   The following year they cruise to Europe and fly back.  

I don't see what one's moral or ethical objections have anything to do with an airline's rule and regulations.  If one objects to them, don't fly with that airline.  I'm not sure, however, that I see the practice of just letting the year run out as cheating.  I do see that not notifying of a cancellation, thereby causing someone to lose an available seat, could be considered as such.  If nothing else, it is certainly inconsiderate of other passengers.  I understand that this was not was doublebzz was suggesting, however.

I agree with you about all this.  My daughter needed to fly one way from the Middle East to Denver last year, and the price of the round trip was about half of the one way, so she purchased it, knowing she would not be using the other leg on the day she booked it for. Before that day arrived, she called United and said she had changed her mind and was staying in the States. They said she could use the return for up to a year from that date, but if she did, she'd pay change fees plus any additional fare for whatever flight she chose. Her understanding is that when the year runs out, that's it. They aren't going to charge her credit card for anything - she has simply lost her right to fly back to where she came from using that ticket, as it will have expired.  I agree that simply not showing up is not really fair to the airline or other passengers who might want that seat, but I also don't think it's right for the airline to have a right to charge you if you don't use the return leg. 

Edited by Moriah

Iancal we have also used Jetstar to/from HNL a couple of times and like it. Also in Canada we have both Westjet and AirTransat that offer reasonable one way flight segments. Alaska also works for one way flights but otherwise not sure they have similar south of the border. 

We use Transat quite often and plan to do so this fall for a Europe trip.  Their one way fares are good.  IF we book an open jaw, the combination of both fares is typically considerably less than booking  two one ways with them.    They also, from time to time, have excellent last minute fares to Europe from Toronto and Montreal.  We did Wesjet one ways from Halifax to Dublin last year.  Worked well even though Westjet is not our favorite airline.

We find that we have had more success seeking out and booking one ways to Europe on our own from Canada vs using the cruise air programs.  That was even more so for Australia.

Edited by iancal