Normandy beaches ( Omaha )

BZEKE

We will be on a Celebrity Cruise that ports in  Cherbourg . Looking at the shore excursions they do not offer Omaha beach and the american cemetery. While they do offer the other beaches and cemeteries.

Has anyone  done a celebrity trip there?  Also we are a group of 9 and I cannot find an independent agent with a van

to hold us.

Thanks  Bob

4 minutes ago, BZEKE said:

Also we are a group of 9 and I cannot find an independent agent with a van

to hold us.  Thanks  Bob

Try Overlord Tours.  Excellent!  🙂

4 hours ago, BZEKE said:

We will be on a Celebrity Cruise that ports in  Cherbourg . Looking at the shore excursions they do not offer Omaha beach and the american cemetery. While they do offer the other beaches and cemeteries.

Has anyone  done a celebrity trip there?  Also we are a group of 9 and I cannot find an independent agent with a van

to hold us.

Thanks  Bob

You might have to split up.

Do contact Overlord. They do have a webite and are wonderful to work with. 

I think since we toured with them they have expanded their fleet.

Also, it's far better to use a small local company. We were leaving the beach for the American Cemetery when the first ship's tour pulled in and we certainly didn't rush....just couldn't.

We also used Overlord! It was our most memorable tour ever! Our excellent guide (grew up in Normandy) made history come alive for us. He was reverent about the American Cemetery and even called ahead to the cemetery to report that two of our group had relatives buried there. They had a special ceremony for my great uncle and another person in our group's relative at their graves that was amazing (interestingly, out of 9,300 graves, they were only about 200 feet apart).

We had 8 in our van - not sure if they have any vans that fit 9.

• Like 1

When we were at Cherbourg, we hired a car from https://www.europcar.com

I just looked and you can hire a 9 seat Mercedes Vito minibus wth 9 seats if you fancy driving yourself. It is really easy to navigate the area and you could be at Omaha in about 30 mins. If using the site use 'Cherbourg DT' as your pick up/drop off point. They came and picked me up from the ship and dropped me back at the end of the day. Just a suggestion...I think it would work out about $20 each plus fuel.

Simon

Bob,

This is just my opinion.  But, one of my most appreciated part of the Normandy tour was the guide relating the personal stories of some of the soldiers.  The human aspect of the "day" was, to me, a life changing  event.  I will never forget the experience. 

• Like 1