Vendors in Ocho Rios Jamaica

beshears

I know I could go to the area for Jamaica, but it doesn't seem like many people see/read that area, so I thought I would ask my question here.

If you have been to Ocho Rios, Jamaica within the last year, are there any vendors close by when you get off the ship? I always like to take something home from the area I have been in, and hope that it is NOT from China!

I've seen Ocho Rios improve the port area and immediate surroundings so much from the sty it used to be that I consider it about he most cleaned up port I've seen in the last 20 years.

I would look for some Blue Mountain coffee, real Jamaican mon.  Have to read the labels carefully, some are just blends, similar to how Kona gets marketed in Hawaii.  Enjoy!

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I've seen Ocho Rios improve the port area and immediate surroundings so much from the sty it used to be that I consider it about he most cleaned up port I've seen in the last 20 years.

I would look for some Blue Mountain coffee, real Jamaican mon.  Have to read the labels carefully, some are just blends, similar to how Kona gets marketed in Hawaii.  Enjoy!

If Kona gets watered down in Hawaii ,then when it hits the mainland we knock it back to 10%kona and the rest whatever the cheap stuff is for the day.working in a coffee processing plant .I've had the opportunity to drink 100%kona and that's some good coffee.

• Like 1

It wasn't within the last year, but before getting back on the ship when we ported in Ocho Rios, I bought a Bob Marley shirt from a local vendor.

It was not until I got home that I noticed the made in China label. Oh well, I still like the shirt and it brings back wonderful memories of DW and I going on the Bob Marley bus excursion.

I'm sorry...I don't recall what was right near the port.  We were rushing to go meet our guide.  I do recall that he took us to a market area that wasn't too far away.  Lots and lots of vendor booths.   That probably doesn't help since it's sounds like you're staying close to the port, but if you decide to venture out, I'm guessing you could take a taxi there.  Sorry I don't remember more about it!

Thank you for your replies.  I just like checking out vendors, as most of them have the same thing to sell, and since it has been over 20 years since I have been to Ocho Rios, I'm sure there have been changes.  I am planning on taking my 3 sons and 3 d-i-l's, so I'm trying to get some info before we go.  Someone mentioned the Bob Marley shirt.  Yes, I understand that it said made in China, but at last you KNEW you got it in Jamaica! 🙂

Thanks for letting me know about the vendors.  I always like to check them out, as I never know what I might find to take back home, "if" I never get back to that area again. 🙂

• 1 month later...