Cruise sales and rates in Florida

fishn4sun

Not all cruise lines sail out of Canaveral. Perhaps the port fees are higher. Certainly higher fuel costs to get to the Caribbean. Maybe higher logistical supply costs there, because it is more remote than some of the other Florida ports.

You could probably think of other costs as well.

• Like 1

Yes I can do that. I am a single senior cruiser and it would be much better for me to go to Port Canaveral since I live 15 minutes away. I was just wondering if anyone knew why the price is so different. Just being curious. I realize there are always other options. Thanks CruiserBruce. Your explanations make sense. 

• Like 1

I also live in Florida, Jacksonville in fact.  The cruises out of Jacksonville are WAY more than Port Canaveral, which is more than Miami, etc.  I was told by my TA that it was because as another poster commented, on higher fuel prices to get to the Bahamas, etc.  Jax is further than Port Canaveral and PO is further away than Miami.

Do you think that Disney operating their cruises out of there has anything to do with it, or maybe people visiting Disneyworld are more likely to tack on a cruise and sail out of Pt. Canaveral, even if they're not sailing on a Disney ship?

Roz

I too live minutes from PC and find neither of your assertions correct IME.  I think you just need to look harder.  I regularly sail Royal for very good prices, as low or lower than Miami or Everglades but these low prices don't happen every day.  So you either have to check for them regularly or have a very good relationship with a TA who will monitor for you.  I other find good prices close to sailing when the ship has not reached desired occupancy level ... being retired and living near the port allows one to take advantage of last minute price drops.

Edited by Capt_BJ

I live near Tampa and find that to be far more expensive that PC... which is why we sail there. However I have noticed that NCL prices for port charges etc are way high in PC. NOt true of other lines. Are you just missing the right sales/departures or is it the cruise line you are choosing? 

I cruise two or three times a year so I check the cruise lines and other sites almost daily.  I heard that we don’t have as many ships or cruise lines here compared to Fort Lauderdale and Miami so it is supply and demand. Disney takes up a few of our terminals. We are getting a mega terminal next year for Carnival Mardi Gra and our port is growing.  I do grab a fairly good deal at times but nothing compared to the FL and Miami ports.  They even have low single supplements at those ports. No more here at PC. Used to, but no more.  But I will continue my happy cruising. Thanks for your comments.