1 hour to change planes/airlines in Paris?

georgiacat

Flying from Athens, Greece to Atlanta, GA, we have 1 hour to change from Air France to Delta at CDG, Paris.  Is this enough time?  I have never been to Paris (or CDG) and I have no idea what will be involved.  Will we have to go through customs?  This is using Princess EZ-Air program; they selected the flight connections.  It seems a little tight to me.

I sure wouldn’t be comfortable with 1 hour in Paris. If you have to change terminals you would not be likely to make it. IF your flight from Athens was on time AND if you are quick off the plane AND if there isn’t a line at passport control AND if you don’t have to change terminals AND if you can walk fast to your gate you might make it.... but that’s a lot of if’s. I had 2 hours, 20 minutes to change from a domestic flight to flight back to US there in May and I think we were the next to last passengers to board our flight home. Barely made it but flight was 10 minutes late arriving, took forever to get off the plane and long lines everywhere. I decided then I will avoid CDG whenever possible and if I do have to go through there I will allow 3 hours at least for any route that requires a terminal change. 

I would not accept that flight.  I was in CDG 3 weeks ago for a connecting flight, , and getting through passport control took close to 45 minutes.  I’ve flown through there on connecting flights many times, and would not be comfortable with less than 2 hours.  I do admit, though, that I’ve never needed 2 hours!

I have connected at CDG in a little over an hour (65 or 75 min, I can't recall for sure) but I strongly hesitate to recommend it, as it was very, very tight.  The airport is huge, and likely you will be changing concourses, which typically involves a lot of walking as well as either a bus or tram.  I'm a pretty experienced traveler, and had been through CDG on multiple occasions so was somewhat familiar with the layout, AND was seated near the front of the plane in premium economy so was able to deplane quickly after landing...and barely made it to the gate on time, with no chance to stop and use the restroom.

I would call Delta...not the cruiseline, who will tell you whatever they think you want to hear because the phone agents don't really know...and ask them what the minimum connect time is for your itinerary.  As Flyertalker suggested, it may be that the cruiseline built you an itinerary that actually involves 2 separate tickets that do not meet MCT.  If you find after confirming the MCT with Delta that that's the case, then call the cruise line and inform them that they have booked you an illegal flight. If they push back, let them know you have confirmed with the airline that it is an illegal connection and insist on being reticketed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgiacat said:

Thank you all for the information.  That was my gut feeling, and we move very slowly.  I will check into a different flight from Athens.

I'm a very fit 30-something and I sure wouldn't want a 60 minute Schengen to US connection at CDG, with or without priority. Factor in moving even somewhat slowly, and it's really a terrible idea. Definitely, do whatever it takes to get those flights switched to at least two hours, probably more (worst case scenario you sit, watch some planes, people watch, and not have to rush).

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm a very fit 30-something and I sure wouldn't want a 60 minute Schengen to US connection at CDG, with or without priority. Factor in moving even somewhat slowly, and it's really a terrible idea. Definitely, do whatever it takes to get those flights switched to at least two hours, probably more (worst case scenario you sit, watch some planes, people watch, and not have to rush).

How about a 95 minute connection LAX-CDG (DL) to CDG-AMS (KL)?  Business class Flying Blue award, ticketed through AF.  Based on the CDG site, this will be Terminals 2F and 2E.  

1 hour ago, RJ2002 said:

How about a 95 minute connection LAX-CDG (DL) to CDG-AMS (KL)?  Business class Flying Blue award, ticketed through AF.  Based on the CDG site, this will be Terminals 2F and 2E.  

That's somewhat reasonable, as you are doing inbound immigration into Schengen. You would want to be on the move ASAP and the connect is well-signed.

However, if possible I personally would take the next CDG-AMS flight instead.  Get to use the AF lounge at CDG, grab a shower and change of clothes, a bite to eat and then fly onward.

After that long leg from LAX, it's amazing what a shower and fresh clothes can do for your jet-lag.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

That's somewhat reasonable, as you are doing inbound immigration into Schengen. You would want to be on the move ASAP and the connect is well-signed.

However, if possible I personally would take the next CDG-AMS flight instead.  Get to use the AF lounge at CDG, grab a shower and change of clothes, a bite to eat and then fly onward.

After that long leg from LAX, it's amazing what a shower and fresh clothes can do for your jet-lag.

Exactly what I would say. Grabbing a refreshing shower and just relaxing means you can hit the ground running in Amsterdam...even if you arrive a little later, you can maximize the time you do have by basically just needing to throw your bags at your hotel and then hit the town.

A shower and fresh underwear after a longhaul flights are the simplest of all life's pleasures.

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1