Yep, They caved.

Ships R Great

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1497

This is a link to the CC home page article about the QM2 and compensation. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I guess I am happy for the unhappy people, sort of. I can't say how I would have felt under the same circumstances. But I do like sea days so I probably would not have been that unhappy.

I think it was a wonderful thing to do for Cunard as far as business is concerned and a wonderful thing to do for the people on the cruise. :)

If anything--I would be that much more likely to go on one of their cruises in the future, knowing they are such a stand up line. RCI did a wonderful thing for us about 5 yrs ago without us expecting it and it has endeared them to us since. :) I am glad this story had a happy ending.

I can understand how many of the passengers were so unhappy. Many of them probably have never been to the Islands and were first time cruisers.

I know how I felt when we just missed one port due to problems with the locals in Columbia. Having been to that port many times I did not feel the need to revolt. Cunard was smart to make the dual offer for public relations reasons as they were getting murdered in the media.

Happy cruising to all

BobN

I don't think any more than fifty percent was warranted...UNLESS as has been reported, the ship left port, knowing full well that stops were going to be skipped, and hid that fact from passengers...shame.

Unfortunately, Cunard's caving in will only encourage more complaints from future passengers. I thought the original 50% refund was more than generous.

Maybe the Brilliance pax who were aboard when George Smith IV went over the side should ask for full refunds too as they were depressed from all the negative publicity and didn't get their 15 min of fame - and oh yes they should get their bar bill paid for too just like JHS wants hers - NOT!

Like all other stories, this too shall pass.

Although, I have read that they got a 50% refund, plus a 75% discount on a future cruise, or crossing. Sounds like 125% to me, if they take advantage of it. I'm sure there are other stories out there, not all we read in the papers or hear on the news is accurate.

While I did feel badly for them, my heart wasn't breaking. They were on a beautiful ship, being catered to. I was miffed at the pax who were threatening to remove the gratuities from their onboard accounts. That was shameful to even consider and I hope they had a change of heart, to not punish the very people who were working to make a bad situation as nice as possible.

HappyK, the Cunard passengers had two choice...either accept a 100% cash refund of their cruise AND airfare, or accept a 50% cash refund of their cruise plus 75% off a future cruise that must be taken by 12/07. Either way, sounds way too generous to me. I'm sure we cruisers will be picking up the tab for this fiasco in the long run.

Because of this I would not be suprised if we are all made to sign some sort of waiver at time of booking or final payment--just spelling out what has allways been in the contract in the back of the cruise tickets. Then when the next fiasco break, the cruise lines can say " you signed the waiver", then we will be lucky to see 50%

Archived