Viking Ocean Deluxe vs. Penthouse Veranda

What was that?

We have booked a DV1 on Viking Venus for 26 Jan 2021 Barcelona-London B2B with 2 Feb 2021 In Search of the Northern Lights. I am still not comfortable with the size of the room (the DW is, and you'd think I'd let well enough alone...), and am looking into a PV1. I see the increased size gives a more convenient arrangement of some things, as well as a more spacious feel and a few additional amenities. If you have experience with these cabins I would like to hear your impressions and experience.

[Mistakenly initially posted on Viking River - sorry.]

Edited by What was that?
Corrections

We have been on 2 VO cruises in DV cabins. They are sufficient, but we booked a PV for our Sept cruise. The increased size of 60 sf will allow more room for the room service breakfast without my having to vacate the room while she is preparing for the day.  The closet is next to the bed in DV. It is not in the PV.

The bar is filled with wine/ spirits in the PV.

There is a week advantage in booking excursions with PV.

The PV gives you 2 guaranteed advance reservations in Manfredi's and Chef's Table  VS  1 in DV.

The DV cabin is larger that the river cruises and you can make due if these items are not important to you.

2 minutes ago, worldtraveler1234 said:

We have been on 2 VO cruises in DV cabins. They are sufficient, but we booked a PV for our Sept cruise. The increased size of 60 sf will allow more room for the room service breakfast without my having to vacate the room while she is preparing for the day.  The closet is next to the bed in DV. It is not in the PV.

The bar is filled with wine/ spirits in the PV.

There is a week advantage in booking excursions with PV.

The PV gives you 2 guaranteed advance reservations in Manfredi's and Chef's Table  VS  1 in DV.

The DV cabin is larger that the river cruises and you can make due if these items are not important to you.

That is what I thought - the PV just looks like a more convenient layout for two people.

On our first VO cruise we started in a Deluxe Veranda  room (270 sq. ft,)  but there was a problem with the room so after a few days they moved us to a Penthouse Veranda (338 sq. ft,)  .  In my opinion there was a noticeable difference and that was without factoring in the ability to make excursion and restaurant reservations earlier and in greater number than with a DV since we moved during the cruise. The added size of the cabin was significant and made for a more enjoyable trip.  We did not take advantage of the pressing and shoe shines and I do not drink so the daily Mini-bar with alcoholic beverages replenishment were not a big deal to me but they may be to someone else. On our next cruise which was two weeks long we stayed in a VS and to me it was worth the added expense.  The added expense is not that great as a percentage when you factor in all of the costs of a vacation, both monetary and in terms of time and effort to get away for a trip.  On our next trip, also for 2 weeks, we are staying in a Penthouse Junior Suite (405 sq. ft,) .  The PV was fine but I figured YOLO so  I told my wife it was because a PJS includes  laundry and dry cleaning but she saw through that as I am not usually an active participant in those endeavors but I have helped with the laundry on prior cruises.  Maybe next time I can talk her into an Explorer Suite but in  reality any size cabin on a Viking Ocean Cruise is acceptable. One of the things I like about Viking is that they go out of their way to treat everyone equally and no one knows what size cabin you are in or how many cruises you have been on. 

Why specifically PV1 rather than PV2 or PV3?  The difference between PV and DV is significant, but all PV are the same size and have the same restaurant reservation policy. Deck 6 has no advantage over Deck 5. If you are walking down the hall, you would not know whether you are on 5 or 6. There is no culture of prestige associated with higher decks on VO. The Explorer Suites on Decks 3 and 4 are far more expensive than DV cabins on 7 and 8.

13 minutes ago, Richard2 said:

Why specifically PV1 rather than PV2 or PV3?  The difference between PV and DV is significant, but all PV are the same size and have the same restaurant reservation policy. Deck 6 has no advantage over Deck 5. If you are walking down the hall, you would not know whether you are on 5 or 6. There is no culture of prestige associated with higher decks on VO. The Explorer Suites on Decks 3 and 4 are far more expensive than DV cabins on 7 and 8.

Frankly, I just thought higher would be "good" and I didn't want to be on the pool deck (or under it). But the total per person fare for PV3 is $600 lower than PV1 which is a good thing.

21 minutes ago, Emptynesters38 said:

On our first VO cruise we started in a Deluxe Veranda  room (270 sq. ft,)  but there was a problem with the room so after a few days they moved us to a Penthouse Veranda (338 sq. ft,)  .  In my opinion there was a noticeable difference and that was without factoring in the ability to make excursion and restaurant reservations earlier and in greater number than with a DV since we moved during the cruise. The added size of the cabin was significant and made for a more enjoyable trip.  We did not take advantage of the pressing and shoe shines and I do not drink so the daily Mini-bar with alcoholic beverages replenishment were not a big deal to me but they may be to someone else. On our next cruise which was two weeks long we stayed in a VS and to me it was worth the added expense.  The added expense is not that great as a percentage when you factor in all of the costs of a vacation, both monetary and in terms of time and effort to get away for a trip.  On our next trip, also for 2 weeks, we are staying in a Penthouse Junior Suite (405 sq. ft,) .  The PV was fine but I figured YOLO so  I told my wife it was because a PJS includes  laundry and dry cleaning but she saw through that as I am not usually an active participant in those endeavors but I have helped with the laundry on prior cruises.  Maybe next time I can talk her into an Explorer Suite but in  reality any size cabin on a Viking Ocean Cruise is acceptable. One of the things I like about Viking is that they go out of their way to treat everyone equally and no one knows what size cabin you are in or how many cruises you have been on. 

That parallels my thinking to a degree - the PV layout makes more sense to me, and the extra room is arranged to make it easier to get around. In the back of my mind I am trying to justify going up to a PJS - for the size, not just the laundry.

Thanks, and keep on cruising!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Frankly, I just thought higher would be "good" and I didn't want to be on the pool deck (or under it). But the total per person fare for PV3 is $600 lower than PV1 which is a good thing.

Cabins on lower decks and midship are more stable in severe weather. Aft cabins will be more convenient to all of the dining facilities (Decks 1, 2, and 7), and forward cabins will be more convenient to the Explorer's Lounge on Deck 7, the Theatre on Deck 2 and the Spa on Deck 1.  Except for Explorer's Suites, the most expensive cabins - the suites - are on higher decks. I think that is simply tradition, rather than because there is anything "good" about being on a higher deck on modern ships like VO.  

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

We have booked a DV1 on Viking Venus for 26 Jan 2021 Barcelona-London B2B with 2 Feb 2021 In Search of the Northern Lights. I am still not comfortable with the size of the room (the DW is, and you'd think I'd let well enough alone...), and am looking into a PV1. I see the increased size gives a more convenient arrangement of some things, as well as a more spacious feel and a few additional amenities. If you have experience with these cabins I would like to hear your impressions and experience.

We’ve been in a DV, a PS, and three PV cabins and are big fans of the PV cabins.  All three times in the PV cabins we were on Deck 6 forward, which is our preferred cabin location.  It is very quiet with very little traffic, between the forward elevators and the bridge.  Only one flight of stairs up to the pool deck and the World Cafe.  The forward elevators (or stairs) give you quick access to the spa and theater on the lower decks.  The extra space, both living and storage, is well worth it, as is the stocked-daily mini-bar, especially on a longer cruise.  We didn’t use the free pressing service much, but it’s nice if you need it.  If available, I also recommend getting a room with a slider door, rather than a fixed-door/window combo. On deck 6 forward, those cabins are 6006 - 6009 and 6014 - 6015.  (6001 and 6002 are also sliders, but those cabins have somewhat restricted views from the balcony looking forward due to the bridge “wings.”)  

4 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Love my PV3 on Deck 4.  3 flights up or 3 down to everything.  Keep in shape and zero elevator wait.  Lower is more stable than upper floors.  Like my mini bar.  Lots of room to spread out.

We have been in DV2 on two VOC's and a PV3 on the level 4 on one cruise.  I agree with you philw1776, and the others.  If PV3 is available, that would be my choice (over the PV1, PV2).   Level 4 it's true - right in the middle and you go up 3 floors or down 3 floors to the 2 main floors where things happen.   PV's quite a bit more room for sure, having been in both.

Of course, depends on your budget.

Well, after WAY too much thinking (including cutting out illustrations of the rooms in question - DV, PV and PS) as well as all the very helpful comments you have all contributed, I have finally put in the order to change our cabin to a PV3 (from a DV1). Since we are going B2B it depends on the same cabin being available on both cruises but I am an optimist - and it is early days. I hope!

What finally sealed the deal was when I compared the PV and PS using the aforementioned cutouts (and the 360 video tour). I noticed that the couch in the PS had no end table. In addition it looks like the lighting over the couch is less suitable for reading. Also the distribution of the floor space (in the cutouts again) looks a bit more balanced so that there is more room to move on the narrow side of the bed. In the end, the change will cost an additional $500pp and I do see the value we are getting, whereas the PS would have been a minimum of $2,400pp more with the only added value for us (besides the extra room) would have been the complimentary laundry. That's a lot of laundry!

So, mission accomplished, with much thanks to all who pitched in and in many cases identified weaknesses in my thinking. Very much appreciated.

Cheers!

What was that?  You will love the PV3.  We were in a PV3 for our Viking Homelands cruise and loved it.  It was a perfect location and we hardly ever needed the elevator because it was a short walk up or down to anywhere.  On our last cruise we got a great deal and went with a DV and it was nice but the whole week we said we would probably only book a PV moving forward because of the extra space and storage space alotted with the PV.  Enjoy your cruise!

17 hours ago, What was that? said:

Well, after WAY too much thinking (including cutting out illustrations of the rooms in question - DV, PV and PS) as well as all the very helpful comments you have all contributed, I have finally put in the order to change our cabin to a PV3 (from a DV1). Since we are going B2B it depends on the same cabin being available on both cruises but I am an optimist - and it is early days. I hope!

What finally sealed the deal was when I compared the PV and PS using the aforementioned cutouts (and the 360 video tour). I noticed that the couch in the PS had no end table. In addition it looks like the lighting over the couch is less suitable for reading. Also the distribution of the floor space (in the cutouts again) looks a bit more balanced so that there is more room to move on the narrow side of the bed. In the end, the change will cost an additional $500pp and I do see the value we are getting, whereas the PS would have been a minimum of $2,400pp more with the only added value for us (besides the extra room) would have been the complimentary laundry. That's a lot of laundry!

So, mission accomplished, with much thanks to all who pitched in and in many cases identified weaknesses in my thinking. Very much appreciated.

Cheers!

You will love it!  There is added counter and drawer space with the credenza at the foot of the bed.  There is more floor space overall around the furniture and the closet is in the hall across from the bathroom door so more easily accessible.  Only $500 pp more is amazing.  On our next cruise it is over $1,500 pp more then we are paying for DV4.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:11 PM, What was that? said:

Why not upgrade to Owner’s Suite?  Well worth a few extra dollars. 👍

Good luck and enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

We have settled on a specific PV2 cabin on Deck 5. Lots of room to move around; lots of drawer space; just more comfortable. As far as I can determine the different PVs have to do with placement. I actually like doing our own laundry btw - which some may find weird.  So be it. 

We stayed in a PV2 on 5, it was fab and we have booked the same cabin for our next trip. It was totally silent, perfect deck position to use the stairs rather than the lift the whole trip, and as our favourite spot was the Explorers Lounge, just seconds away.

I deliberately chose the separate door and window configuration as liked the view from the sofa and bed. This was recommended by a friend but I also had a peek at the sliding door cabins whilst onboard. We were port side near the bow (haha, if that's the technical term!)

1 minute ago, Krisval said:

4012 is not a “slider”. Someone once posted a list of the PV rooms with sliding doors- 4012 is not on the list. 

So it has a door and a window? From photos on CruiseDeckPlans.com it looks like the door and window are separated a bit and with a slider it is just one big opening. I suppose on the Northern Lights cruise the swinging door would be preferable to the slider? Maybe. I don't know...

Here's that post you referred to: PV3 Sliding vs. Hinged. It is in a fascinating topic on PVs in general.