Dubai - Singapore Christmas cruise

Balsam12

Hi Folks,

My other half and I have been looking at the idea of a cruise over Christmas and New Year in 2020-21.

We like the look of the 15 Night on Constellation from Dubai to Singapore as we have not been to most of the ports before.

Just wondering if anyone has done similar cruises (not necessarily at Christmas) and could comment on the demographics of the passengers?

On  slightly different tack, can anyone explain the difference between "$150 Onboard Credit for 2" and "Additional $150 per person to spend onboard"?

Looking at the "Perks", we would choose the Classic beverage package, but were then thinking of using the OBC towards upgrading that to the Premium package. Can we do this?

Cheers,

We were on the Connie a for Christmas 2016: UAE to India and back via Oman. A fabulous cruise. Loved it!

Some extremely interesting ports and excursions. Highly recommend it.

For us, the highlight was a houseboat ride in Kerala.

Mumbai was crazy! Fascinating but hectic.

Celebrity celebrated Christmas but not too much --- it was fairly PC, recognising the fact that there were lots of non-Christians on board. So rather than 'Happy Christmas' on things it was 'Happy Festive Holidays'. Still, there were carols, a nativity display, a visit by Father Christmas, gifts etc.

The only moan we had to each other was the lack of a Christmas dinner in Luminae. So, we asked for some from the MDR ---they were awful! Turkey roll rather than 'proper' turkey... it was like being back at school! 

We highly recommend a Christmas cruise!

Sorry, I forgot to answer your demographics question! We found it to be an extremely international mix ---we met a Norwegian couple who became our firm friends. There were many, many nationalities on board.

The age group was fairly mixed too although there weren't a lot of young children around.

• Like 1

@crazyman3,

Thanks for that. I was hoping it would be an international mix. Normally you do tend to find that when there are different start and end ports, but it's good to have someone reinforce that idea.

We're not really looking for huge Christmas celebrations, and we certainly won't be dining in Luminae (Unless we win lotto in the near future 😛), it's more the idea of doing something different.

Cheers,

Balsam

2 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Hi Folks,

My other half and I have been looking at the idea of a cruise over Christmas and New Year in 2020-21.

We like the look of the 15 Night on Constellation from Dubai to Singapore as we have not been to most of the ports before.

Just wondering if anyone has done similar cruises (not necessarily at Christmas) and could comment on the demographics of the passengers?

On  slightly different tack, can anyone explain the difference between "$150 Onboard Credit for 2" and "Additional $150 per person to spend onboard"?

Looking at the "Perks", we would choose the Classic beverage package, but were then thinking of using the OBC towards upgrading that to the Premium package. Can we do this?

Cheers,

We've done a couple of Christmas New Year cruises and love the way the ships are decorated especially Celebrity. We have also done the cruise from Singapore to Abu Dhabi on the Constellation it was fabulous.

By demographic are you actually asking about age? 

$150 per cabin (2people) and $150 per person.

Yes, you can upgrade the drinks package using your OBC

@sailco,

I was think both ages and nationalities.

Unless I'm missing something with those perks, it seems a little silly. I can either have $150 or $300... how many people would choose $150?

Balsam

6 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

@sailco,

I was think both ages and nationalities.

Unless I'm missing something with those perks, it seems a little silly. I can either have $150 or $300... how many people would choose $150?

Balsam

Sometimes it depends on who's giving the OBC. The ship often gives per cabin. Your TA usually give per person but perks can be anything. It pays to read the fine print 😎

Edited by sailco

We did Singapore to Dubai in 2015.  It was on the old Century, which we liked a lot.

It was in late March and early April.  It was hot as hades  in the four Indian ports (mid 90s).

We still enjoyed the cruise.  We also stopped in Oman and had an overnight in Dubai.

Here is my review:

Singapore to Dubai

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501167

Celebrity says that there will be a priest or minister on Christmas and Easter cruises.  Subject to availability of a reitred clergyman willing to travel, of course.  

Edited by Alakegirl

We were also on the Constellation for the Christmas/New Year cruise in 2016.

Don't remember that much about the demographics, but seem to recall most people were in the 50+ range. There were also a few families on board. Seemed like most of the people we met on the ship were from either the UK, or Australia.

Also did a photo review of the cruise, which if you're interested you can see it here.

Unfortunately, although I have paid Photobucket for their file services, they have overlaid their advertising on the pictures.🤬 

Edited by GeorgeCharlie

We did Connie's Abu Dhabi to Singapore cruise last Jan ( and stayed for the next leg to Shanghai). This was probably  our favorite cruise so far.  Fascinating ports,  a good mix of sea and port days, a great crew, and a very good mix of passengers. Very few children, of course,  but a surprisingly diverse mix of ages and a wide variety of countries represented. The largest contingents on our cruise were from UK, Australia,  Canada and the US; but there were many European countries represented as well.

I would highly recommend extra days pre and post cruise to explore both of these fascinating cities

Edited by mom says

11 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Hi Folks,

Cheers,

Hi Balsam 12:

My DH and I, along with another couple, took this cruise from Singapore to Dubai in early February, 2018. It was absolutely fabulous.

We first flew to Delhi for five days and four nights (exploring the Golden Triangle, including seeing the Taj Mahal at dawn with no crowds whatsoever) where we were taken care of spectacularly by Muzaris Heritage Tours, under the coordination of Lijo Jose. He was beyond wonderful to work with as we set up the excursions. I swear that he never sleeps, as no matter what time I emailed him from Vancouver, I received an answer withing an hour, and often within minutes. After joining the cruise in Singapore, we also took all our tours in India with Muzaris, and each day was fabulous. We took shore excursions in non-Indian stops through the ship, and they were all very good. I had the tour bus drop me off at the Galle Face Hotel in Columbo, and that was well worth the experience.

The passengers on the ship were international, with a lot of representation from the UK and Australia, and there was quite a diversity in ages. As I always find when sailing on Celebrity ships, the passengers just love to travel, and had a great world view. The ship was in great shape and the staff was wonderful. We were looked after especially well in the MDR.

I can't answer the question about using your OBC to upgrade your beverage package, as we would always select the beverage package and the complimentary gratuities on a 15 night cruise,  but I'm not sure how that works for our friends from Australia. We upgrade my DH once onboard. I don't drink enough to make the upgrade worth the investment :).

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by elena7seas

We did a similar itinerary over Thanksgiving on Azamara. Wonderful cruise. We’re in our mid 60s and active. We met many people in our same demographic. We also spent 7 days in India doing the Golden Triangle before flying to Dubai to start the cruise. It was a great add on to a fabulous cruise.