Early Fixed vs. Anytime Dining Times Clarification

Baileybasset

Currently, we are Anytime Dining on the Koningsdam but might want to change to Early Fixed.  When booking online,  Early Fixed time was shown as 5:15.  Today the telephone agent said it was 5:45.  I've seen on the Boards that reservations will only be accepted between certain times and not always available for tables for two.  Holland's website is not helpful with details about this.  As my head is beginning to spin, is there somebody who can please provide clarity on this? 

Thanks to all in advance for any guidance!

Personally I (my wife) would wait until we were onboard and go talk to the maitred'.  Then he can show you your choices and make it happen. Trying to "fix" it over the phone only leads to looking for the maitred to straighten it out.

Edited by aa7yy

Unlike other cruise lines (including one that boasts that it is "freestyle), you do not need to worry about making reservations before setting foot on the ship.

As far as the early fixed time, it can depend on the itinerary that ship is sailing. The hours that reservations that will be accepted for Anytime dining again depends on the hours that the dining room will be open on your cruise.

Stop trying to preplan and wait until you are on the ship.

We always select a table for 2 in late (main) seating.   Because there are much fewer 2-tops than other sized tables in the MDR, we always seek out the e-mail address for the ship's coordinator for the ship we will be on.  We use the MDR layouts with table numbers that are available on halfacts dot com, and select 10 tables that will work for us.  We send that request to the ship's coordinator around 4 or 5 months out from our cruise.  We have always received one of our top 3 selections.   The same will work for early seating, but it is more popular, so book early.   

If you want anytime dining, you can only reserve tables outside of the busy hours which are 6:00 pm to 7:30, but those times vary on each ship.  If you show up and ask for a 2-top in the busy hours, you may get some delays depending on availability.   We love having the same waiter and assistant, our favorite rolls and drinks are waiting for us on the table, the waiters know how we like our food cooked, and they treat us very special because we will be with them most nights for the duration of the cruise.  If you really like the privacy of a 2-top, then why play games with anytime ?   Reserve a table in early or main fixed seating and you can just walk into the MDR and your table is waiting, no delays.

If I am understanding your initial post OP, you are trying to decide between early dining (fixed) or anytime.

The fixed dining time is never known until you get on the ship.  It just depends on the itinerary, etc.

Personally if it were me, I’d book the fixed dining time now (early seating) and then, on board, if you don’t like the time or prefer to change it, you can easily change to open dining if that is your wish.  It can be harder to change from open to fixed on some sailings (depends on the itinerary) but the early is popular, so if you have the option, I’d take it and then decide on board.  JMO.

Have you tried to reserve fixed seating?  I’m not sure how far away your cruise is but if you’re not booking way in advance early fixed may already be waitlisted.  In that case you’ll have to see what you can do after you have boarded.