Weather In Panama Canal

Loose moose

Good afternoon 

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has cruised through, or into, the Panama Canal in October or November?

We were planning to go in January or February next year but due to family commitments this won't be possible. We could get away from mid Oct to mid Nov but have heard the weather is very wet at this time? We have often cruised the Caribbean in November and found the weather to be fine.

Thanks for your help

Panama City can be very wet in November, that's the height of their rainy season.  I'd bring a very light rain poncho, and choose October if possible, JIC. 

We've been to Panama several times in January and February, both land and cruise, and enjoyed better weather then.

Also the weather in the Canal area is different than the weather up along the Pacific coast where we've stayed a few times.  It will be around 90 degrees no matter what, so go and enjoy!

I've been through the canal 3 times (twice old canal, once new canal) in February, August and November. It was hot and humid every time and I live along the Gulf of Mexico and know hot and humid, but this is worse, but not as bad as the Amazon!! It was a clear day in February, rainy day in November and both in August.

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 1

Oddly, I live in coastal GA and although I have found the Amazon (three times), Panama (4 times); and Bali/SE Asia to be quite humid, the heat was less oppressive than the heat here in summer. And we didn't have A/C in the Amazon nor Bali.   EM

Panama has 2 seasons - the dry season is January to April and wet season May to December.

Having completed well over 20 full transits in most, if not all months of the year, I can attest that the dry season just gets less rainfall. However, many transits we have experienced brilliant sunshine, prior to a shower. In the dry season I have experienced many showers, especially in the afternoon. In the wet season, I have seen rain throughout the entire transit.

Regardless, it is always hot & humid.