Environmental efforts/improvements?

Peggy Sue

I'm sure many of you are living in cities and towns who have recently eliminated pastic bags, enhanced their recycle efforts etc.  I've been wondering what Celebrity is actively doing to eliminate plastic.  I know they have their "save the waves" campaign...but on our cruise last March they were still selling plastic water bottles and leaving way to much printed paper in our cabin each night that we turned around and put in the trash.  

Awhile back I read a post about Celebrity thinking about filtered water stations to move towards eliminating plastic bottles.  Anyone know current status of what Celebrity might be doing to reduce the use of plastic water bottles?

we have not sailed on the Edge .. I wonder if they have made an effort to reduce the amount of paper that is delivered to your cabin every night??  I asked what happened to the recycle trash can that used to be in the cabins a few years ago .. We were told they still sort out paper, but they found it easier to have their crew sort the trash.  

I know they are making efforts to reduce the individual plastic bottles shampoo, etc., but I've heard that the shower dispensers are only in certain classes of cabins and the other cabins will continue to receive the individual bottles.  We have not sailed on a ship yet that has completed their "revolution changes".  

When you think about all the ships on the ocean every day ...that's a lot of plastic and paper!!

We were on the Edge at the beginning of March and there were no plastic water bottles. The water was in screw top aluminum "bottles" which I'm hoping they were recycling, as aluminum is profitable to recycle in most cases compared to plastic which is hard to recycle and often thrown away instead. We had a pretty normal infinite veranda cabin and it had dispensers for shampoo and such. No plastic straws on board either, all paper. I think I remember a paper itinerary for the next day left each night, but you could get the same information on the phone App they have on the Edge, so if we had thought about it we probably could have told our cabin steward to skip it since we had the App. We are booked on the Flora later this year and that ship is said to have filtered water in each cabin so no bottled water is available, but it's a much smaller ship and was designed due to the destination to be a very eco friendly ship.

Plastic straws have been replaced with paper.  The amount of paper is being reduced/ no more printed news from countries around the world, no more Spotlight highlighting the Officers ( now on the a TV), only “mail” we got was dinner reservation confirmation, helipad invite, and of course Park West.  Shampoo, conditioner & showers gel are now in large refillable bottles vs small bottles that get trashed.

The plastic water bottles were still there.  When we were on the Edge the aluminum  bottles made the water taste strange.

We were on the Solstice and they had water, for the Classic Beverage Package, in these milk type cartons. Reviews were not good as in the theater, the beverage holders are round and the cartons were square and could not fit in there. Plastic bottles in the Premium water items.  They have discontinued the daily newspapers but continue to deliver a large number of paper advertisements for shops, art auctions, jewelry, etc. Paper straws have been introduced.

On our last cruise, we still had the small plastic shampoo bottles.