Unlimited dining - is it worth it?

2 hours ago, CMDE said:

I keep reading that cruisers on cruisecritic don’t want to eat in the main dining room. Last time we were on Royal we really liked MDR - but that was more than 5 years ago. Should we worry for our cruise in September? Or do you just like variety?

The main dining room on Symphony in April was excellent. I had no complaints about the food or service. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JimmyL said:

I am thinking exactly like you. Waiting for the $175 again and going to nail it. Don’t forget that all 3 sea days can be used for lunch at Specialty Dining. Now it’s 10 meals at $17.50 a person. Can’t beat that 

We wound up getting the unlimited dining package at 175.00 a person and we are really looking forward to it! 

It does seem silly at first glance to purchase the UDP when all meals are for free in the main dining room. To each their own, right? I am not a picky eater about WHAT I eat but I didn't feel the food in MDR was prepared very well on our first cruise on Royal back last October. I felt the same way about Princess. Meh. Not bad, but not great. 

For most cruises I would not purchase the UDP but this is going to be a treat for our upcoming cruise in November, leaving 11/29. It is a 9 night cruise. I love Chops and I want to try Giovanni's, and we also love sushi so looking forward to Isumi, plus the lunches on sea days will be nice - I love the food in Windjammer (go figure I think it's better maybe just b/c so many options!) but on sea days it is so crowded. 

I am not sure if this has been asked, but I am going for it....For a 3/4 night sailing on a ship like the Mariner, that has no sea days, why does the unlimited dining state specialty dining for lunch on "SEAS DAYS." How does that work for no sea days??? Are you still paying for it (lunch) as all other cruisers on 5-7 and up days but not getting it. The price is the same...OR do they let you have lunch and it isnt in the print? I am curious as to how it will work. Anyone with information to this would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping Bob will come through as always does with the best advice for me 😍 

2 minutes ago, kdnurs said:

...  The price is the same...

Is it?

I don't know how prices can be compared, there is so much difference ship to ship, cruise to cruise, season to season, etc.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Is it?

I don't know how prices can be compared, there is so much difference ship to ship, cruise to cruise, season to season, etc.

I guess what I am saying about price is they charge whether it be 3, 4, 5, 7, or more days on any of the ships...it still says lunch on sea days included, but some of the sailings there are no sea days..I kept thinking if that is the case they should either remove the verbiage "lunch on sea days included" or lower the price on those sailings. I purchased the package, but now realize we have no sea days...lol...so I am a little salty. I was hoping for at least one lunch.  

3 minutes ago, kdnurs said:

I guess what I am saying about price is they charge whether it be 3, 4, 5, 7, or more days on any of the ships...it still says lunch on sea days included, but some of the sailings there are no sea days..I kept thinking if that is the case they should either remove the verbiage "lunch on sea days included" or lower the price on those sailings. I purchased the package, but now realize we have no sea days...lol...so I am a little salty. I was hoping for at least one lunch.  

I’ve been on the Mariner twice with the unlimited package. Jamie’s was available for lunch and included with the package  when we were in Nassau. Playmakers was open starting at 1:30. I know lunch was included on Cococay day in May, but I didn’t pay any attention to its availability this past weekend.

2 minutes ago, seabeew said:

I’ve been on the Mariner twice with the unlimited package. Jamie’s was available for lunch and included with the package  when we were in Nassau. Playmakers was open starting at 1:30. I know lunch was included on Cococay day in May, but I didn’t pay any attention to its availability this past weekend.

GOD BLESS YOU and THANK YOU!!! I am sooooo excited!!! I loved Playmakers on Symphony ..that is my go to lunch spot 😁 I am happy to read we will have lunch options on our Mariner sailing despite not having "sea days" Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 6:40 PM, Sizzlechest said:

I'm glad I didn't get it for my 9 night Anthem cruise, but I bought it for my upcoming 7 night Oasis cruise. The Anthem doesn't have that many specialty venues I find worth trying more than once. The Oasis seems to have more specialty options and since it's fewer days, it might be worth a try.

On the Anthem I wound up cancelling Chops after the 2nd time I went, I found the food so much better in Jamie’s. I think between lunches and dinners I must have gone to Jamie’s about 6 times that week. 

Also, we went to Wonderland and decided to go back and they wanted to upcharge us $10.00 per person for going twice, this was under the ultimate plan. Does anyone know if they still charge this when buying the new unlimited plan?