Canadian booking Azamara -- Direct or TA?

Epicureangirl

I'm getting ready to book my first Azamara Cruise (for March 2020) and was going to book through a big-box agency that will give me a little bonus (not nearly as impressive as what seems to be available in the US).  

Is there any advantage to book directly with Azamara when the pricing is identical? Is Azamara more likely to offer OBC or any type of compensation if the price drops before final payment?  Are any Canadians using US TA's instead of Canadian for increased OBC or other benefits?

I am not used to using a TA, I've always booked directly through HAL but am ready to try something new (and better).

Thanks!

We got a pretty hefty cash card offer from our local Big Box membership-required store (which is winging its way to us now we just finished our cruise) plus effectively an extra 2% discount over any other TA rate we could find, in the US or Canada, thanks to our Executive membership (travel became eligible for the 2% yearly dividend a while ago) which made it an absolute no-brainer to use 'we technically cannot mention their name due to CC rules but it should be pretty obvious who I am talking about' for us.

Especially when compared to dealing direct, rather than with a good individual TA with good customer service, I can't imagine why anyone would *not* take the discount available from a Big Box: even the cheapest possible cruise on a pricier line is going to pay back your membership fees if you are not already a card-carrying member.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, martincath said:

We got a pretty hefty cash card offer from our local Big Box membership-required store (which is winging its way to us now we just finished our cruise) plus effectively an extra 2% discount over any other TA rate we could find, in the US or Canada, thanks to our Executive membership (travel became eligible for the 2% yearly dividend a while ago) which made it an absolute no-brainer to use 'we technically cannot mention their name due to CC rules but it should be pretty obvious who I am talking about' for us.

Thanks so much -- it is the same Big Box store I was talking about and not naming names... 🙂.  I have basic membership, but can easily switch to Executive -- the math doesn't lie, it is very worth it!    I have been getting quotes in from US agencies today, but the OBC they offer still is less than the cash card and dividend combined.  

For what it’s worth, via a competitive bidding website I was slightly offered more in OBC than I was offered from the big box store but I was afraid I would have more OBC than I knew what to do with (like shopping on the old wheel of fortune)

53 minutes ago, Doh15 said:

For what it’s worth, via a competitive bidding website I was slightly offered more in OBC than I was offered from the big box store but I was afraid I would have more OBC than I knew what to do with (like shopping on the old wheel of fortune)

Yes, we're probably using the same competitive bidding website. I'm still waiting for more quotes to come in but the first ones that have arrived are a bit lower. Yes, thank you for reminding me that I would actually have to use that OBC.  I reminded myself that since this cruise is almost all-inclusive I would probably spend much less on board than I usually do on HAL.  Spending money at the big box store never seems to be much of a problem. 😉

2 hours ago, Doh15 said:

The included stuff on Azamara was what we were cruising to sample this time around - testing the waters if you will - so we avoided any OBC deals deliberately. Just as well - our total spend onboard was, for the first time ever, $0.00 since even gratuities were included in the fare!!! Whereas our card will be very readily spent in Unnamed Big Box Store... 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martincath said:

The included stuff on Azamara was what we were cruising to sample this time around - testing the waters if you will - so we avoided any OBC deals deliberately. Just as well - our total spend onboard was, for the first time ever, $0.00 since even gratuities were included in the fare!!! Whereas our card will be very readily spent in Unnamed Big Box Store... 😉

That's fantastic.  I don't know if that will be possible for me (I am always tempted to try out the specialty restaurants at least), but my husband would be thrilled to leave the ship without a balance to clear!  

10 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I prefer the discounted price vs a gift card. I book through a US agent. They seem to offer better rates than Canadian TAs 

For Azamara, the quotes I am getting (from US agencies) are all identical, other than the differences in OBC. I am guessing Azamara doesn’t let TA’s publish lower fares? Or have you been able to get a lower rate on the same cabin type? If I go the big box route, the gift card is one bonus, but on top of that the 2%  back (again to be spent in store) is hard to ignore.  

11 hours ago, Epicureangirl said:

For Azamara, the quotes I am getting (from US agencies) are all identical, other than the differences in OBC. I am guessing Azamara doesn’t let TA’s publish lower fares? Or have you been able to get a lower rate on the same cabin type? If I go the big box route, the gift card is one bonus, but on top of that the 2%  back (again to be spent in store) is hard to ignore.  

The major cruise lines, years ago, mandated that US travel agencies charge the same rates as the cruise line direct. Royal Caribbean owns Azamara so they follow that model. The two work arounds to this is if an agency has group space and it is priced lower than the cruise line’s going rate or sometimes certain cruise lines offer special rates on certain sailings to high performing travel agencies. Other than that, travel agents get the same rates and promos as the cruise line but they will offer extras such as OBC or gift cards, etc.....

What you are all missing is that there are several agencies in the US that work with Canadian customers that provide cash rebates you can spend as you choose.  These can amount to 10% of the commissionable costs.  The money comes from their commissions just like many other perks so you still pay the full price up front before you get a check prior to leaving on the cruise that you can use as pur cash.

12 hours ago, Epicureangirl said:

Well they’re certainly doing it.  Just did a quick check on a random 14 night cruise next September. $1,400 total less on the TAs site. I went right to the end on both bookings so all taxes are in there. $16,400 on TA and $17,800 on Azamara’s site. 

13 hours ago, Epicureangirl said:

See my response above on the prices. I love the box we’re talking about but not for travel now they don’t take AMEX. It’s our card with the best insurance on it. 

11 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Well they’re certainly doing it.  Just did a quick check on a random 14 night cruise next September. $1,400 total less on the TAs site. I went right to the end on both bookings so all taxes are in there. $16,400 on TA and $17,800 on Azamara’s site. 

This not naming names with TA's is killing me!  I want to find these sites!  All my cruise quotes of course say to call... maybe that's where the cash option becomes a possibility?  I did get a new quote in last night that looked $150 better than big-box, but that might be easily eaten up what the credit card charges on the foreign transaction (I'm going to have to look at the fine-print on my credit cards to figure out which one to use in that case). 

Thank you!

12 hours ago, rallydave said:

What you are all missing is that there are several agencies in the US that work with Canadian customers that provide cash rebates you can spend as you choose.  These can amount to 10% of the commissionable costs.  The money comes from their commissions just like many other perks so you still pay the full price up front before you get a check prior to leaving on the cruise that you can use as pur cash.

I think that maybe some of the agencies that quoted would possibly do this, but that I will have to call them?  The OBC is what is in the email quote, but they all say call for special offers.  Maybe they will give me a better option (cold hard cash back)?   Thanks for your input.

Okay, now I'm really confused.  I found a website (very "red white and blue" both figuratively and literally), and the quote WAS about $500 less.  But then I see fine print that "taxes, fees & port expenses add $155.69 per person".   Which pretty-much eats up the $500 saved (is a cabin for 3).  I thought that when I used the big-box site my quote included all of that.   I will keep looking to see if I can come across an agency that had booked group space, but my time is running out.  There is only one cabin left that has room for a 3rd person.

You can drive yourself batty trying to find the "best" offer because multiple offers are often like apples and oranges in that one includes some credit, some include a drink package, or some other combination of benefits (including big box gift cards). You have to figure out what is important to you, and decide what perks you like, and yes, keep an eye on taxes and other add-on costs too!

Good luck, John R.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, when I went to book this morning the last suitable stateroom had gone, I'm not sure if someone was holding it in their 'cart', but I kept checking back and it finally reappeared.  Being able to book QUICKLY online became more important then calling some TA's in Florida to discuss prices on a cabin that was no longer available. 

So with thanks to all of you, I have booked my first Azamara cruise (celebration emoji belongs here)! The big-box won my business this time after switching my card over to the Exec membership. After looking at what my credit card would have charged me to be billed in US $, booking directly with a US TA wasn't doing me any favours on the price.  I may have saved a little, but without knowing what exchange rate would be applied, it was really difficult to know where the price would be in the end.  If I finally figure out 'the' best US agency to deal with, one that books group space especially, I will have to try that route next time.  Perhaps if there is a CC meet and greet someone will whisper the name of their TA in my ear. 😂

• Like 4

Please be aware as a Canadian you are not cover insurance wise from TICO or the same from BC dealing in US. That means if agency you book with goes out of business you are sunk.

We had that happen many years ago.

We deal with a large Ontario based TA and have booked 30 cruises with them. Once they had to fight for lost / stolen luggage while on a cruise and it was great having someone to help with compensation. 

2 hours ago, Trend said:

Please be aware as a Canadian you are not cover insurance wise from TICO or the same from BC dealing in US. That means if agency you book with goes out of business you are sunk.

We had that happen many years ago.

We deal with a large Ontario based TA and have booked 30 cruises with them. Once they had to fight for lost / stolen luggage while on a cruise and it was great having someone to help with compensation. 

Why would I care if the agency went out of business when the cruise line has my deposit? The only time you worry is if the agency processes your payments. You’re also covered by your credit card. These big discounting US agencies have been around for decades and some are backed by Credit card companies such as AMEX. . 

Glad to hear that the Canadian OP went 'exec'. Same with us, on an upcoming AZ. Prior trips thru a TA, but 'broken telephone' between TA and AZ over included 'special dining' devalued both relationships. What's a specialty restaurant - $30 each? Neither would budge. we had it in writing. Wrote it off. Big Box, moving forward. No 'promises' apart from the 2 percent plus rebate ++ . Works for us.

• Like 2

Cruise Junky lucky you that you have never had this experience but if you book with a company that goes under the cruise line does not always recognize the deposit.

Just for you knowledge.