Kids and Specialty Dining

We’ll be cruising for the first time with my grandsons, 10 & 6, in November on the Anthem.  How does it work with kids dining in specialty restaurants ? If they have an entree off the specialty menu, do they pay full price? Are there child friendly options ( chicken fingers etc)?

The 10 year old is adventurous and has a great appetite!   I could see him trying adult meals. The 6 year old - not so much lol

i want to pre-pay but not sure how it works.

Thanks in advance!

They have a "Kids" menu, for $10.....it might be child-sized portions, too...not sure nowadays.  But, generally speaking, it's less for kids under 12.  If you've already booked and paid, they will refund the portion for the kids.

I would just book the adults.  When on board visit the restaurants on the first day and change your reservations to include the kids.  Easier than trying to get credit back as if you book them online you pay full price.  On board it may vary as to what they are charged.  Officially kids 6 to 12 are $10 but must eat off the kids menu. Some waiters will still charge them the kids price but let them eat off the adult menu.

there are  child menus  for the less expensive  cost:  $10 or half price depending on ship/ venue/etc.    these tend to have less exotic versions of the  regular menu.. a plain marinara sauce  as opposed to  penne ala vodka for instance.  smaller steak with fries as opposed to a  8 oz with polenta type thing.  

if they eat off the regular menu they pay full price.  

the  dumbed down kids menu from the DR is officially only  available to the under 6 crowd.   some waiters will be flexible about providing something for a picky eater as well as whether or not you get charged.  

We just did chops and Giovanni's with our 10 year old son a few weeks ago on radiance.  They charged $10 and he had the same size filet mignon as I did with the same choice of sides.  They even let him order 2 appetizers (ceasar salad and bacon). For Giovanni's, we chose to have everything served family style so we could all try different stuff. 

When we sailed on Allure on Easter, 2018, we ordered for our grandkids (4,6 & 8) off the adult menu in Chop's and only paid $10 per.  On one occasion, we dined in Giovanni's for lunch (Promo lunch) and dinner and the waiter did not charge us at all.  We made sure to tip him accordingly.