Paradise Beach - Max number of guests?

melmar02

On 7/18/2019 at 2:53 PM, JohninDC said:

I have never heard of them turning guests away. The place is HUGE!

22 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

We were there with 5 or 6 other ships.  Didn't feel crowded at all.

Thanks. There are only 4 ships in port the day we'll be there, but they are all BIG. I'm going to be sharing the island with over 17,000 of my closest friends!

4-6 is average for Cozumel and there is always somewhere to go. Arrive early for choice of loungers.

As John says Paradise is large - plenty of space for everyone but be pre-warned loungers are crammed in rows so not somewhere we would choose unless we had tweens/teens needing activities. 

Our scheduled visit for March has 25,000 - that’s a lot and we won’t be hitting the popular beach clubs!

Edited by c-leg5

Just now, molly361 said:

Can you go there just for a drink and lunch without paying for a full day?  

Sure. $3 per person admission/chair rental and they ask that you spend about $10 per person in food and drinks - 1 beer or Margarita and some nachos will hit the minimum. But the cab ride there is about $15-17 each way, so most choose to stay for at least a few hours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Can you go there just for a drink and lunch without paying for a full day?  

Yes but there is a $3pp entrance and $10 pp minimum food and drinks to use the facilities.

• Like 1

What's the snorkeling like at Paradise Beach? We're novices and aren't looking for anything amazing like you might see on a snorkeling excursion, but would like to see more than just a baron sandy bottom. I've heard that the snorkeling at the Progreso beach near the pier is like that (nothing to see), so was just wondering if Paradise is any better. We just want to snorkel from the beach.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:56 PM, JohninDC said:

Sure. $3 per person admission/chair rental and they ask that you spend about $10 per person in food and drinks - 1 beer or Margarita and some nachos will hit the minimum. But the cab ride there is about $15-17 each way, so most choose to stay for at least a few hours.

Is that ~$15 per person or for everyone?

And since Paradise Beach seems to be a popular place for cruisers, are there shared shuttles that go there? Just wondering if there's anything cheaper than the taxi.

Edited by Organized Chaos

45 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

What's the snorkeling like at Paradise Beach? We're novices and aren't looking for anything amazing like you might see on a snorkeling excursion, but would like to see more than just a baron sandy bottom. I've heard that the snorkeling at the Progreso beach near the pier is like that (nothing to see), so was just wondering if Paradise is any better. We just want to snorkel from the beach.

And since Paradise Beach seems to be a popular place for cruisers, are there shared shuttles that go there? Just wondering if there's anything cheaper than the taxi.

All transport in Cozumel is by taxi, ( unless you rent a vehicle). Prices are posted on a board at the pier. Price quoted above is for up to 4 people.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Snorkeling at Paradise Beach or any beach with a sandy shore will be poor. The sand and waves cloud the visibility of the water and there are no reefs for the little fish to thrive in. For shore snorkeling head to the Money Bar or spend about $20 each and go to Chankanaab - nice beach with separate snorkel area, small pool, sea lion shows, nature trails, etc. Taxi for up to 4 passengers will run about $12+ each way.

On 7/22/2019 at 2:41 PM, Organized Chaos said:

If snorkeling from the beach is what you want where you might actually see something, check out the Money Bar.  Not really a beach - more of a breakwall to get into the water, but with steps to get down into it.  The reef is very close.  We learned of it because we actually took a Carnival excursion years back on a catamaran, and that's where they took us.  Easy to do on your own, short cab ride from the pier.  They have loungers, tables, food and beverage service3 their in addition to snorkel equipment rentals if you need them.

Thanks for the advice. Money Bar has come up a few times, so I think we're leaning towards that. I've been told there's no entry fee, but they do encourage anyone occupying a lounger to buy some food & drinks. When we snorkel, we don't really lounge around on the beach. We just snorkel for a few hours then go back to the ship or do other things. Ideally, we wouldn't need to eat at any of these locations because we'd just do some snorkeling, then eat on the ship. That's what we typically do, at least. So with the Money Bar, is it safe to just set down our bag somewhere without having to use a lounger? We wouldn't have anything in the bag besides towels, sunscreen, etc. No valuables, but we do use the beach towels off the ship and I'd rather not have those taken because we'd have to pay for them. I'll be keeping any cash/credit cards, ID, S&S cards on my person in a waterproof pouch, so no worries there. Can we get away with doing this and not buying food at the Money Bar? We'd buy some food & drinks if absolutely necessary to use one of these places, just saying we'd be fine without it.

Also, what's the water like (temp.) in early December? Up until this year, we've only ever been able to go in the summer because of school, so this will be our first chance at a winter cruise. Is the water still comfortable?

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Thanks for the advice. Money Bar has come up a few times, so I think we're leaning towards that. I've been told there's no entry fee, but they do encourage anyone occupying a lounger to buy some food & drinks. When we snorkel, we don't really lounge around on the beach. We just snorkel for a few hours then go back to the ship or do other things. Ideally, we wouldn't need to eat at any of these locations because we'd just do some snorkeling, then eat on the ship. That's what we typically do, at least. So with the Money Bar, is it safe to just set down our bag somewhere without having to use a lounger? We wouldn't have anything in the bag besides towels, sunscreen, etc. No valuables, but we do use the beach towels off the ship and I'd rather not have those taken because we'd have to pay for them. I'll be keeping any cash/credit cards, ID, S&S cards on my person in a waterproof pouch, so no worries there. Can we get away with doing this and not buying food at the Money Bar? We'd buy some food & drinks if absolutely necessary to use one of these places, just saying we'd be fine without it.

Also, what's the water like (temp.) in early December? Up until this year, we've only ever been able to go in the summer because of school, so this will be our first chance at a winter cruise. Is the water still comfortable?

You have asked this several times now. Here is my take on it.

IF you are certain you will not be using ANY of the  facilities - table, chairs, loungers, step access to ocean, restrooms - then you would be OK to just put down your towel on public property to the side. There is an access to the right belonging to Palmar but not sure if there is a gap between - I know that has been a BIG problem between the facilities in the past but a totally different issue to what you are asking.

ALL beaches in Mexico are public up to the high water line so you are free to put your towel down and enter. Therefore if you were to walk along the road and find somewhere to enter that would be fine but keep in mind the area is very rocky and sharp. Also you are unlikely to be close to other people if you should require assistance and certainly no guarantees regarding your bag, towel etc

We have been to Money Bar when a group of people (maybe 3 or 4) arrived with their own bottle of liquor+coke, set up at the edge of the property between the tables (I cant remember if they used the chairs) played their own music that everyone around could hear (actually they did ask the people next to them if that was OK) and snorkeled via the steps. So, CAN it be done? The answer is yes. 

Is it polite? - to my mind, no. You should find an entrance where there aren't paying guests or you should make a purchase, albeit small, proportional to the length of time and amount of facilities you are using.

Another, more rustic bar popular with snorkelers that you might also consider, (again with the purchase of a water or coke) is Playa Corona a little further along the road. Again I have only ever stopped off at designated bars I am not sure what sort of access you might find to the side of this location. 

Also keep in mind most of the snorkeling is drift snorkeling - there's actually a map at  Money Bar showing this.

Also, not sure which pier you are docking at but if Puerta Maya or International another alternative is to walk towards town, save your taxi fare and snorkel from one of the bars near the pier and use your taxi fare to buy a coke. If you dock in town try,  No Name Bar or Jeannie’s.

Edited by c-leg5

11 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

You have asked this several times now.

I appreciate the information you have provided, but that comment was unnecessary and untrue. I have not asked this "several times." Yes, I've sought information about snorkeling in Cozumel & Progreso. It'll be our first time at these ports and our first time ever having to deal with beach clubs, resorts, AI's (or whatever they call themselves). It's unfamiliar territory, so I want to make sure we pick the right one for us and be fully prepared when we get there. We are not looking to cheat any of these businesses. Like I said, we've never dealt with this type of situation when it comes to beach access.

Between the Cozumel & Progreso forums, I have asked questions in a few different threads. In my experience, the Port of Call boards aren't always as active as what I'm used to. I was merely "hedging my bets," so to speak, by asking in a couple different threads to hopefully hear about experiences from multiple people. Sorry if that's a nuisance to you. And for what it's worth, I did get some info. about a couple of these locations, but my follow-up questions about food/drink specifics and what the water is like were never answered in those other threads, so here I am. Again, thanks for the info. you've provided.

15 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I appreciate the information you have provided, but that comment was unnecessary and untrue. I have not asked this "several times." Yes, I've sought information about snorkeling in Cozumel & Progreso. It'll be our first time at these ports and our first time ever having to deal with beach clubs, resorts, AI's (or whatever they call themselves). It's unfamiliar territory, so I want to make sure we pick the right one for us and be fully prepared when we get there. We are not looking to cheat any of these businesses. Like I said, we've never dealt with this type of situation when it comes to beach access.

Between the Cozumel & Progreso forums, I have asked questions in a few different threads. In my experience, the Port of Call boards aren't always as active as what I'm used to. I was merely "hedging my bets," so to speak, by asking in a couple different threads to hopefully hear about experiences from multiple people. Sorry if that's a nuisance to you. And for what it's worth, I did get some info. about a couple of these locations, but my follow-up questions about food/drink specifics and what the water is like were never answered in those other threads, so here I am. Again, thanks for the info. you've provided.

Sorry you took offense - it wasn’t meant that way, maybe I wrote too fast.

I thought I had already answered your question in the other thread so felt perhaps I needed to expand and let you know, yes you can just go to Money Bar and snorkel, but personally I don’t feel you should. I am sure others will disagree with me including the party quoted above but for what you want to do, don’t feel you need to have a full meal. Personally when it comes to water safety I feel it is better in the company of others.

Cozumel port of call board has always been fairly active, although not as much now,since CC was improved, like many of the boards but looking back a page or two you will find a lot of useful information from regular posters.

hopefully you have found the detailed photo reviews I referred you to from Mitsugirly and perhaps found some of my alternative suggestions helpful.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

22 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Also keep in mind most of the snorkeling is drift snorkeling - there's actually a map at  Money Bar showing this.

I never heard this expression before. What is drift snorkeling?

1 hour ago, gometros said:

I never heard this expression before. What is drift snorkeling?

Drifting with current whether you go all the way or not is up to you but there is a map at Money Bar showing prevailing current.

here are a couple of interesting links - care currents can change.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k11138124-Money_Bar_Drift_Snorkel_to_Fiesta_Americana-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

https://cozumelmycozumel.com/cozumel-snorkeling-from-shore/

Edited by c-leg5