Cancellation Question

Readytogokjs

I realize the answer to this question may be in the fine print somewhere but was wondering if someone with experience could help explain.  Two of my friends are booked on Viking Star (double occupancy rate) to leave in 34 days.  One of the friends has a father not in good health.  She now realizes that she MAY have to cancel her trip.  Both friends purchased the insurance.  

My friend asked our travel agent and was told IF she cancels, she will be refunded all but the insurance cost.  However, the OTHER friend will now have to pay a single rate which is about 3k more.  This does not seem correct to me.  Why purchase the insurance?  I get it that one friend would save, but the other would be screwed.  

Any thoughts or experiences?

My only other thought would be to find out the details regarding if Viking's insurance allows you to cancel if your travel companion/cabin mate cannot travel for a valid reason. Maybe they could cancel and only be out the insurance, which is better than adding another $3K. 

I would also explore the travel insurance on the credit card used for payment. Obviously Viking insurance is primary but make sure that your friend explores the details of any coverage on their credit card. 

This is what it says on the Viking website about their plan. It is not a contract and it is not a description of coverage.

If they are not covered by Viking insurance; they need to speak with whatever company they bought the insurance from.

Talk directly to the insurance company and ask questions. Don't guess and don't assume. Also, don't wait until you have to make the decision to make this call. Have all of your questions answered while you are still clear headed. Explain that you are traveling together but covered under two separate policies:

• if  we have to cancel are we each covered?
  • Are we both covered under the pre-existing conditions clause (ask this question even if you think it doesn't apply)?
  • Please explain to me exactly what will be covered:  cruise fare? air fare? Any pre-paid excursions that are not refunded? Any pre-paid excursions that we bought privately? Anything else trip related that you have already paid for?
  • Please tell me exactly what paperwork we will need to submit for this claim, should we have to make it.

Viking Travel Protection Plan

For your convenience, Viking makes a Travel Protection Plan available to you. This may help to protect your travel investment, your belongings and you from many unforeseen circumstances that may arise before or during your trip. The Viking Cruises Travel Protection Plan is made up of different components. The Plan includes a non-insurance Cancel For Any Reason Waiver*, provided by Viking Cruises, Travel Insurance Benefits (underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company) and Non-Insurance Services (provided by Generali Global Assistance) Individuals looking to obtain additional information regarding the features and pricing of each travel plan component, please contact Trip Mate at 844-777-6855. Plan benefits, limits and provisions may vary by state/jurisdiction and not all coverages are included in all states. Insurance benefits are subject to limitations and exclusions, including an exclusion for pre-existing conditions. To review full plan details, go to: www.tripmate.com/wpUF425V.

* For MN, MO, NY & WA residents only: A Trip Cancellation Insurance benefit underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company is included that provides cash reimbursement for “Covered Reasons,” up to a maximum of $187,500. You may elect to purchase either Part A or Part B separately from the other. Please contact Viking River Cruises, Inc. in order to purchase the Cancel For Any Reason Waiver separately. In these states, reimbursement under the Cancel for Any Reason Waiver is available in the form of a travel voucher for all reasons.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, Readytogokjs said:

I realize the answer to this question may be in the fine print somewhere but was wondering if someone with experience could help explain.  Two of my friends are booked on Viking Star (double occupancy rate) to leave in 34 days.  One of the friends has a father not in good health.  She now realizes that she MAY have to cancel her trip.  Both friends purchased the insurance.  

My friend asked our travel agent and was told IF she cancels, she will be refunded all but the insurance cost.  However, the OTHER friend will now have to pay a single rate which is about 3k more.  This does not seem correct to me.  Why purchase the insurance?  I get it that one friend would save, but the other would be screwed.  

Your  friend will loose all her money minus insurance.

Yes, your other friend is now screwed. Will have to pay solo fare.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 1:01 PM, Readytogokjs said:

We purchased Viking's travel insurance for a river cruise in China that did not pay anything.  My husband had skin cancer on his head that had been treated and the cancer was gone.   At the time of our trip the cancer had been gone for a year but my husband decided to have plastic surgery to help reduce the size and depth of the scar.

About a week before our scheduled cruise, his plastic surgery wound began to become red and infected (seeping).  I called Viking to cancel the trip and was told that the travel insure would not cover because that was considered a pre existing condition.  We lost the entire cost of the trip.  We sent a lot of  documentation from the oncologist and the plastic surgeon stating that is was not cancer related.  It was still considered a pre existing condition.

Because we had put the entire airline and cruise on our American Advantage credit card, we promptly received a check for $8500 for the cruise from Citi Bank AAdvantage  and a voucher for future flight replacing our RT business class seats.

Bottom line - ASK more detailed questions if you purchase VO travel insurance. I clearly did not ask the correct questions about the insurance.  

We finally rescheduled the trip to China the following year with Viking  (fabulous - highly recommend), and we have been on 3 Viking Ocean cruises since then.

Hope this experience helps.

50 minutes ago, ForneyTravelers said:

We purchased Viking's travel insurance for a river cruise in China that did not pay anything.  My husband had skin cancer on his head that had been treated and the cancer was gone.   At the time of our trip the cancer had been gone for a year but my husband decided to have plastic surgery to help reduce the size and depth of the scar.

About a week before our scheduled cruise, his plastic surgery wound began to become red and infected (seeping).  I called Viking to cancel the trip and was told that the travel insure would not cover because that was considered a pre existing condition.  We lost the entire cost of the trip.  We sent a lot of  documentation from the oncologist and the plastic surgeon stating that is was not cancer related.  It was still considered a pre existing condition.

Because we had put the entire airline and cruise on our American Advantage credit card, we promptly received a check for $8500 for the cruise from Citi Bank AAdvantage  and a voucher for future flight replacing our RT business class seats.

Bottom line - ASK more detailed questions if you purchase VO travel insurance. I clearly did not ask the correct questions about the insurance.  

We finally rescheduled the trip to China the following year with Viking  (fabulous - highly recommend), and we have been on 3 Viking Ocean cruises since then.

Hope this experience helps.

I have done a lot of research regarding travel insurance over the years and have found that the trip insurance store is a wealth of information.  So many great tips and explanations regarding what is and is not a pre-existing condition and how to best cover yourself.

31 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

I have done a lot of research regarding travel insurance over the years and have found that the trip insurance store is a wealth of information.  So many great tips and explanations regarding what is and is not a pre-existing condition and how to best cover yourself.

Edited by ForneyTravelers

5 hours ago, ForneyTravelers said:

Thank you for that info.  I am putting trip insurance store in my travel folder. 

Much appreciated shadowlover.

I’ll second shadowlover on this.  Steve or really any of his associates at the TripInsuranceStore are beyond amazing.  I truly can’t recommend them highly enough.  

This should be covered under  the “Single Supplement” clause of the insurance policy.  See Part B.  

I don’t understand why this is a problem since both bought the insurance. Yes, there is an additional amount due if one cancels, but that is what insurance is for.  Does the travel agent not understand how this works?

Am I missing some detail that would invalidate the insurance? 

2 hours ago, Babr said:

This should be covered under  the “Single Supplement” clause of the insurance policy.  See Part B.  

I don’t understand why this is a problem since both bought the insurance. Yes, there is an additional amount due if one cancels, but that is what insurance is for.  Does the travel agent not understand how this works?

Am I missing some detail that would invalidate the insurance? 

I think the 3x the cost was due to the fact that if you cancel or change the itinerary as scheduled, you must cancel and re book.  When you do this, you will then be charged the single occupancy supplement which is twice the fare, hence the three times.  The insurance, previously bought should  reimburse you the cost of the first booking but it does mean there could be a time when the cost of three cruises might appear on your statement.

Lesson learned from this issue....Never purchase any cruise lines insurance plan...Purchase general insurance of choice thru the many web sites mention. Lastly, like stated above, always have second insurance cancellation with one of the many premium credit cards. We carry the Chase  Reserve card and have had cancellation and medical all covered by them.

I’m still not getting this. Only one person cancelled. It should have no impact on the other passenger’s booking except that she is now being charged the single supplement which is $3000 more - not 3x more.  Even if they called it a rebooking, it should be no more than a paper trail with the bottom line remaining the same - original cost plus $3000. The single supplement clause still applies.

I’m pretty sure this is a routine occurrence.  Are you saying that Viking is selling insurance policies that do not protect passengers from their own business practices?

Maybe the concern is that she has to pay the money up front and wait for reimbursement, but the extra cost should be covered.

Edited by Babr
Afterthought

On 8/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, WAVTAM said:

Lesson learned from this issue....Never purchase any cruise lines insurance plan...Purchase general insurance of choice thru the many web sites mention. Lastly, like stated above, always have second insurance cancellation with one of the many premium credit cards. We carry the Chase  Reserve card and have had cancellation and medical all covered by them.

Unfortunately, finding trip cancellation/interruption insurance is not always possible, except through the cruise line.

For our upcoming cruise, which we booked 20 months before departure, no local broker/agency or the online options would accept the risk. If we wanted insurance, the only option was the cruise line

On 8/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, WAVTAM said:

We carry the Chase reserve and Amex travel gold.....both cover to certain dollar limits on our cards, but when I called them, I was told that it did not include preexisting nor emergency evacuation. Maybe I was provided incorrect information, but we have had good price quotes and experience with using Insuremytrip.com. We had to use our insurance  last fall for two different cruises (one being Viking) due to an unexpected medical emergency. Those two trips more than convinced me to never go without. 

I am not familiar with Tripinsurancestore.com so thank you for that recommendation. 

13 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We carry the Chase reserve and Amex travel gold.....both cover to certain dollar limits on our cards, but when I called them, I was told that it did not include preexisting nor emergency evacuation. Maybe I was provided incorrect information, but we have had good price quotes and experience with using Insuremytrip.com. We had to use our insurance  last fall for two different cruises (one being Viking) due to an unexpected medical emergency. Those two trips more than convinced me to never go without. 

I am not familiar with Tripinsurancestore.com so thank you for that recommendation. 

We always carry an annual policy thru GeoBlue to cover EXTRA medical and evacuation.( Do download off Chase the benfits the Reserve card carries and you will definitely see it covers evacuation.(Not pre existing).

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately, finding trip cancellation/interruption insurance is not always possible, except through the cruise line.

For our upcoming cruise, which we booked 20 months before departure, no local broker/agency or the online options would accept the risk. If we wanted insurance, the only option was the cruise line

Reserve card ….

This does not include the other benefits like Priority Pass card and free Global entry/TSA and 3x points off most purchase.

Just an update...Both friends had the insurance through Viking.  The friend that cancelled due to family illness will be refunded, not a problem.  The friend that is now a single occupancy needs to pay the 6k+ but will get it back because she too had insurance.  In the end, both parties will be refunded.

14 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We also have used Insuremytrip.com a lot and have been happy with it.  For our Viking Cruises it has seemed to run for us roughly 7 % of the non-refundable costs.   As expected, it gets more as we get older :)   But can't do without it.  Although we've never had to use it, thank goodness, we've had friends on the cruise ships who have had to - and made us realize how important it is.  But like any other insurance, you need to buy it well before you need it!

Thank you for the Tripinsurancestore.com  information.  We will have to look at that now as well.

Then add in what we get from the credit cards....

2 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

We always carry an annual policy thru GeoBlue to cover EXTRA medical and evacuation.( Do download off Chase the benfits the Reserve card carries and you will definitely see it covers evacuation.(Not pre existing).

Thank you WAVTAM. I appreciate seeing that medical evac is covered. Pre-existing is so important as what you may not think is preexisting, insurance may. Does GeoBlue cover this?  

CCWinelover totally agree. The insurance % does seem to go up, but we also do not go without. We have found the insurance agents at Insuremytrip so helpful when I call. For instance, we have several trips on the books and they helped me with an insurance company that only requires you to insure the deposit rather than full cost, and you can add as you spend more for the trips. I was also told that Since I am most Interested in preexisting medical coverage, that if I do not add to the policy, it will not cover trip cancellation, etc (credit card will) but will keep medical intact. No sure if I want to test that piece though. 🤔

Readytogokjs, glad to hear that it all worked out okay! 

Edited by Vineyard View

45 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Te have found the insurance agents at Insuremytrip so helpful when I call. For instance, we have several trips on the books and they helped me with an insurance company that only requires you to insure the deposit rather than full cost, and you can add as you spend more for the trips. 🤔

Yes indeed!  That is what we do as well, as we also have several trips on the books!   And the Insuremytrip reps were also helpful to us and informed us of this option - which is nice!  I was a little skeptical, but just this past week did my first "add on" as we paid for our air on our Midnight Sun trip (TAP Portugal from SFO-LIS-LHR).  The "add on" was very easy to do and worked fine, which was reassuring!  (Plus we had to change trip dates slightly as we adjusted to get better airfare with TAP now having great fares)