Recommendation for pre-cruise hotel in Reykjavik

You've mistakenly posted in the forum for getting help in using the message boards. 

You need to post your questions in the Ports of Call/Europe/Northern Europe forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

And I think you would find it helpful to spend some time on the home Categories page of the boards, browsing through the various forums, so you know what goes where.  🙂

Looks like they moved your question to the right forum!

Iceland is amazing, you should spend as much time as you can afford there.

Staying in the city is fine for a 1 or 2 day visit, but for anything longer you should try to spend your nights away from a city.

For Reykjavik hotels you want to be in the 101 Postal Code (you'll see those three numbers in Iceland addresses) to be centrally located.

Let us know how much time you will stay for ideas on what to do

I stayed at the CenterHotel Midgardur in Reykjavik and would definitely recommend it. The accommodations were reasonably priced (for Iceland) and included an excellent breakfast buffet each day. In addition, independent tour buses stop right outside that hotel. From the hotel, it's an easy 15-20 minute walk down Reykjavik's main shopping street into the center of the city. If you'd prefer something right in Reykjavik's city center though, I've heard good things about Canopy by Hilton, the Kvosin Hotel, Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel and the Reykjavik Residence Hotel if you're looking for more apartment-style accommodations. I agree with Nitemare - Iceland is amazing! Do try to allow as much time as you can afford. I wasn't staying too long and did two great small group tours with Hidden Iceland while I was in Reykjavik. Their Golden Circle and South Coast tours were both excellent. Have a fantastic time on your Windstar cruise and enjoy your stay in Iceland!   

23 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Looks like they moved your question to the right forum!

Iceland is amazing, you should spend as much time as you can afford there.

Staying in the city is fine for a 1 or 2 day visit, but for anything longer you should try to spend your nights away from a city.

For Reykjavik hotels you want to be in the 101 Postal Code (you'll see those three numbers in Iceland addresses) to be centrally located.

Let us know how much time you will stay for ideas on what to do

Thanks nitemare. Right now we’re looking at two days. 

2 hours ago, sunlover757 said:

I stayed at the CenterHotel Midgardur in Reykjavik and would definitely recommend it. The accommodations were reasonably priced (for Iceland) and included an excellent breakfast buffet each day. In addition, independent tour buses stop right outside that hotel. From the hotel, it's an easy 15-20 minute walk down Reykjavik's main shopping street into the center of the city. If you'd prefer something right in Reykjavik's city center though, I've heard good things about Canopy by Hilton, the Kvosin Hotel, Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel and the Reykjavik Residence Hotel if you're looking for more apartment-style accommodations. I agree with Nitemare - Iceland is amazing! Do try to allow as much time as you can afford. I wasn't staying too long and did two great small group tours with Hidden Iceland while I was in Reykjavik. Their Golden Circle and South Coast tours were both excellent. Have a fantastic time on your Windstar cruise and enjoy your stay in Iceland!   

Thanks for all the information sunlover757

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Konsulat last month for one day at the beginning of our trip and one day at the end.  The location is unbeatable [the famous 'Bill Clinton Hot Dog Stand' is right out the back door, if you care], the rooms are good size, and the service is terrific.  Both times we arrived early in the morning, so of course our room wasn't ready.  Both times they sent us to the restaurant for a free breakfast [in addition to the one we were entitled to the next morning].  The first time they put our room on rush status and got us in shortly after we finished eating.  The second time they offered a different room that was ready – not quite as nice as the first one, but quite acceptable and most important available!  Another plus is that it is part of the Hilton group, so you get [and we were able to use] HHonors points.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:51 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

We stayed at the Konsulat last month for one day at the beginning of our trip and one day at the end.  The location is unbeatable [the famous 'Bill Clinton Hot Dog Stand' is right out the back door, if you care], the rooms are good size, and the service is terrific.  Both times we arrived early in the morning, so of course our room wasn't ready.  Both times they sent us to the restaurant for a free breakfast [in addition to the one we were entitled to the next morning].  The first time they put our room on rush status and got us in shortly after we finished eating.  The second time they offered a different room that was ready – not quite as nice as the first one, but quite acceptable and most important available!  Another plus is that it is part of the Hilton group, so you get [and we were able to use] HHonors points.

Thanks Host Jazzbeau

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at a pre cruise tour with a 3 night hotel (name not known yet) stay that include breakfast daily. On day 2 & 3 there are full day guided tours.

Do we need local currency?

Or, everything can be paid with a pin & chip credit card?