On Board charges

Winesome

8 minutes ago, The Wilkies said:

For us Brits, definitely US $ and let the credit card company do the conversion. Better rate. Possibly same for other currencies.

This is generally correct for the UK cruises, however if the £ to $ rate had dropped since the day you’ve booked your cruise yo could gift yourself obc to save money 

1 hour ago, antsp said:

This is generally correct for the UK cruises, however if the £ to $ rate had dropped since the day you’ve booked your cruise yo could gift yourself obc to save money 

True and have done in the past, however, OBC received for this cruise should cover most of final account!!!

46 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Whenever I travel overseas I always get charged in the local currency and let the bank do the conversion.

Local vendors will frequently ask to let them convert to your CC's currency - they use an absurd rate, so be sure to check that they run the CC in the country's currency and let your bank do the exchange. Yes, on the ship, always in the local currency. 

Darcy

6 hours ago, Winesome said:

Just wondering being Canadian, is it better to do on board charges in US or Canadian?  Which way do you loose the least?

We keep it U.S. on-board, the exchange rates we get charged on the  credit cards are competitive.  

We always tell the vendors to charge the card in their currency and let our credit card company convert.  Almost always we will get a better rate from the card company.  Since Canadian dollar is less the USD I would let your card company convert.

17 minutes ago, Winesome said:

Thanks, All

Thats what I thought

Yes, everyone above is correct - you will be best off having Princess charge you in the ship's currency and your credit card company will do a conversion.  However, there is still an up charge of at least 2.5% on that.

May I suggest something?  You live very near the US border.  Do you not go over there to shop?  Do you holiday in the USA at all?  Presuming you travel some, there are at least two better alternatives:

1.  Get a USD Visa/Master Card.  These are readily available in Canada and you can even get no-fee ones (just don't expect any perks).  You pay the bill in USD and can convert funds when you choose and without the 2.5% surcharge.

2. Get a CAD Visa/Master Card that doesn't charge a currency conversion up charge.  These are readily available, and if you hunt a bit, there are also no-fee ones.