Rome Tour Guides

fatpug

We will be staying in Rome in November for 4 days.   Do you have any recommended tour guide websites that you have used?  We are starting with the Coliseum and Vatican on our list of must see. 

Do you have recommended tour companies for each category:  Entertaining  and Academic

I am expecting to learn some on most tours in Rome since there are some many historical sites.   

Thanks

Edited by fatpug

For more in-depth (perhaps academic?) tours with small groups, I have used Context Travel (for Rome) several times.

Some like more entertaining stories with their tours. I unfortunately know enough to be dangerous -- at least in Rome -- and don't like being told things that are half-truths or even flat-out wrong. Whenever possible, I usually prefer to book tours with the actual institution (e.g., a tour offered through the Vatican).

In November you won't have the huge crowds of summer. But you can still expect plenty of people at the Vatican museums and at the Colosseum. Most other places do not require a tour, very easy to do things on your own with the help of a guidebook or a little advance research.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We just spent a day and a half in Rome pre-cruise and used "Tours by Locals" for three different tours. We booked with the same guide for all three tours and were very happy (7 people in our group-3 young adults and two upper 50s/early 60s couples. ) We did a Catacombs/Crypts tour, Rome by Night tour and a Colosseum/Forum Tour with Dino. He's become our gold standard for tour guides. He provided not only the historical facts but stories to help flesh out the places we visited. He had great reviews on the site which was why we contacted him. He was very personable and could relate to both age groups. Plus, he had a driver for the first two tours, which was a bonus for our group. 

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, LMADAMS91 said:

We just spent a day and a half in Rome pre-cruise and used "Tours by Locals" for three different tours. We booked with the same guide for all three tours and were very happy (7 people in our group-3 young adults and two upper 50s/early 60s couples. ) We did a Catacombs/Crypts tour, Rome by Night tour and a Colosseum/Forum Tour with Dino. He's become our gold standard for tour guides. He provided not only the historical facts but stories to help flesh out the places we visited. He had great reviews on the site which was why we contacted him. He was very personable and could relate to both age groups. Plus, he had a driver for the first two tours, which was a bonus for our group. 

Does Tours by Locals also purchase your entrance tickets? 

13 minutes ago, T2inDC said:

Does Tours by Locals also purchase your entrance tickets? 

They can.  Our guides went to the windows designated for guides to get the tickets faster and get us in quicker.  In most cases, we did it that day. The exception was the Colosseum tour.  Our guide got those in advance for us. 

3 hours ago, T2inDC said:

Thank you. We will be in Rome early October and can't get tickets for the Colosseum.

Check with a tour provider.  I personally wouldn't wait and hope to get whatever they release that day. 

On 7/22/2019 at 6:08 PM, fatpug said:

We will be staying in Rome in November for 4 days.   Do you have any recommended tour guide websites that you have used?  We are starting with the Coliseum and Vatican on our list of must see. 

We too have used Dark Rome/City Wonders that was mentioned above and they did not disappoint.  I would also suggest that you look into Walks of Italy, another wonderful tour company!