Vegetarian

Richteab

From what I can see, there is plenty of choice anyway for a vegetarian, but would you suggest registering as "Special Diet".

I don't count it as one, but others might!

Thanks in advance for any advice

I am a vegetarian.  I have cruised once with Azamara so far.  I did not register it as a special diet.  I had no problems finding stuff to eat.  On my very first cruise (a Princess cruise), I did indicate that I was a vegetarian but I did not notice any difference in the meal service.  One other time (also Princess), our head waiter found out I was a vegetarian and would bring me the following night's menu so that I could pre-order something different if I didn't like what was being offered.   I imagine Azamara may do the same if you told them.  On Azamara, if we didn't like the vegetarian offering in the dining room, we just went to the buffet.    Normally, we never eat dinner in the buffet on a cruise but we did quite a bit on Azamara.  Everything was so fresh and good. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richteab said:

From what I can see, there is plenty of choice anyway for a vegetarian, but would you suggest registering as "Special Diet".

I don't count it as one, but others might!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi. I’m a lifelong vegetarian and have stories to tell trying to get Azamara to feed me lovely creative vegetarian food. But I was finally successful. There is now a lovely sophisticated veggie menu. When you get onboard, ask to speak with the food and beverage manager. (If it’s Mario, say hello from Fern. That’s me. ) Tell this person you want to see the vegetarian menu and you will be able to order dinners for a few days in advance and then keep choosing new meals as you go. Now it’s easy and good. My last two cruises - in January on the Pursuit and in April on the Journey - I had access to this menu. 

Fern

• Like 3

Lifelong vegetarian here too. Thank you, Fern, for your summarizing your experience. We will definitely speak to the food and beverage manger thanks to your helpful advice. That said, we feel like we have had more dining options on our cruises than in many of our local restaurants. Pleased to see the cruise lines making the effort!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fernem said:

One last thing ... don’t miss the evening when the buffet is serving Indian food. The Indian food buffet, always popular, is a vegetarian’s banquet!

I certainly won't! I love Indian food and would happily eat it full time. Like most vegetarians I struggle with Chinese food, Thai less so, but Indian is a joy. As a Brit, I can say I've had more than a few hungry nights in Europe (France , Germany, Spain) but Italian is also easy.

I prefer fish and veggies over land base animals. I will ask for this menu for nights I do not want any protein. Pasta gets old.   I have survived Germany never eating a land base animal. I even walked out of a tour restaurant as the food smell was so bad. I found a lovely salad in another restaurant. 

2 hours ago, fernem said:

One last thing ... don’t miss the evening when the buffet is serving Indian food. The Indian food buffet, always popular, is a vegetarian’s banquet!

‘We were really disappointed with this on Pursuit this month as we had been looking forward to it.  It was an Indian and best of British buffet not purely Indian.  So there was fish and chips, etc on the menu and there didn’t appear to be a huge variety of Indian dishes and what there was, were the usual tikka dishes, etc and not the authentic stuff we had hoped for.  We looked at the menu in the morning and decided against it.  Maybe we were wrong?

9 minutes ago, Werangels said:

‘We were really disappointed with this on Pursuit this month as we had been looking forward to it.  It was an Indian and best of British buffet not purely Indian.  So there was fish and chips, etc on the menu and there didn’t appear to be a huge variety of Indian dishes and what there was, were the usual tikka dishes, etc and not the authentic stuff we had hoped for.  We looked at the menu in the morning and decided against it.  Maybe we were wrong?

They always have chicken Tikka and many more. Never seen fish and chips that night, but they have to have something for  the people who do not eat Daal etc.