Oceania's very own Jacques Pepin

clo

12 minutes ago, clo said:

Well, here's some:

"

Eight months later, in 1961, Howard Johnson, a regular Le Pavillon customer, hired Pépin to work alongside fellow Frenchman Pierre Franey to develop food lines for his chain of Howard Johnson's restaurants, while Pépin was attending Columbia University.[4]

Pépin received his B.A. degree from Columbia University's School of General Studies in 1970 and his M.A. in French literature from the Columbia Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in 1972.[3][5]

I wouldn't be surprised if he were a guest at the White House but he didn't cook there.  And during the war they had a restaurant although there was a shortage of food for sure.

Ahhh...thank you.  As the story goes...he was offered the job at the White House and turned it down.  He did end up cooking hot dogs and hamburgers at HOJO.  Mr. Johnson hired him and suggested that Jacques actually work at a HOJO just to get the sense of it before he joined the commissary.  He worked briefly at the HOJO on Concord Ave. in Cambridge.  

I think if you read his autobiography you will find that he had to go and live with a farm couple during the war and was definitely subject to the loneliness, food shortages and harsh times during that era.  He certainly was not working at any restaurant at that time.  

Thank you you for your attention to detail.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our Sept cruise is a Jacques Pepin cruise, and he is supposed to be the host. The wording has changed a time or two on the description. For his cruise it says;

"Guests will be treated to specially designed signature menus, engaging lectures, culinary demonstrations and much more. "

For the cruise hosted by his daughter it says;

"This culinary sojourn is hosted by Sirena’s godmother, Claudine Pépin. Guests will be treated to specially designed signature menus, engaging lectures, culinary demonstrations and much more."

At one point our Sept cruise had the "hosted by" wording in it. If I had booked this cruise originally just because he was going to be the host(I didn't) and then didn't host it I would be a bit annoyed. 

22 minutes ago, ORV said:

Our Sept cruise is a Jacques Pepin cruise, and he is supposed to be the host. The wording has changed a time or two on the description. For his cruise it says;

"Guests will be treated to specially designed signature menus, engaging lectures, culinary demonstrations and much more. "

For the cruise hosted by his daughter it says;

"This culinary sojourn is hosted by Sirena’s godmother, Claudine Pépin. Guests will be treated to specially designed signature menus, engaging lectures, culinary demonstrations and much more."

At one point our Sept cruise had the "hosted by" wording in it. If I had booked this cruise originally just because he was going to be the host(I didn't) and then didn't host it I would be a bit annoyed. 

I think in the past he did book signings & cooking demos  but maybe  now in his 80's  it is too much for him 

so the changing of the descriptions may have  had to change 

just thinking out loud

On 7/25/2019 at 7:56 PM, tvmovielover said:

I have attended his cooking classes in the 80s, 90s, and 00s and always learned something new (his shows with Claudine and her daughter are interesting).  

I believe  Claudine  has a son 

maybe you are  thinking of Jacques wife Gloria

No I am thinking of his granddaughter Shuri (how it sounds not sure how spelled) who is in one of his recent books as well as a recent (last few years) PBS series.  Gloria has not been on a show in a while.  Nice for them if there is now a grandson too.

45 minutes ago, tvmovielover said:

No I am thinking of his granddaughter Shuri (how it sounds not sure how spelled) who is in one of his recent books as well as a recent (last few years) PBS series.  Gloria has not been on a show in a while.  Nice for them if there is now a grandson too.

well I guess  he is  a she  LOL  unless Claudine has another child now

https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/jacques-pepin-cooks-with-his-granddaughter