Joy, Panama Canal, Colon, 3 hrs?

We took the kiddos with us on the Bliss 15 day sailing of the Panama Canal in April and had a great time. For 2021 I put a deposit on the Joy Panama Canal sailing. I noticed this time that Colon, Panama is on the itinerary and we didn't go there on the Bliss. What struck me was the arrival in port at 5pm and depart at 8pm. Seriously? Can this possibly be correct? I mean 3 hours? By the time the ship cleared customs and everyone disembarked it would be an almost about face with a need to get back on before leaving port. I've never seen any port on an itinerary so short if at all even possible. Has anyone experienced a short port call like this? A mistake? Thoughts?  

Edited by tallnthensome

We are on the Joy for a Panama cruise in February 2020.  It is only a partial transit.  This is how I understand it will happen.  The ship will enter the canal very early. After going thru the lock, the ship will anchor near a marina.  Anyone taking a tour will be tendered to the marina.  The ship will cruise around Gatun Lake and eventually go back out the same lock it came in thru. Then it will port at Colon where all those that took tours will meet back up with the ship.  

6 hours ago, Pduaime said:

We are on the Joy for a Panama cruise in February 2020.  It is only a partial transit.  This is how I understand it will happen.  The ship will enter the canal very early. After going thru the lock, the ship will anchor near a marina.  Anyone taking a tour will be tendered to the marina.  The ship will cruise around Gatun Lake and eventually go back out the same lock it came in thru. Then it will port at Colon where all those that took tours will meet back up with the ship.  

Ok, that sounds better. I'd like to do a tour in Colon instead of Gatun lake which we saw in April. Thank you for this information. 

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Ok, that sounds better. I'd like to do a tour in Colon instead of Gatun lake which we saw in April. Thank you for this information. 

With the caveat that I haven't taken a partial transit, I don't believe there are tours "in" Colón.   Colón is the pickup point for those pax who left the ship in Gatun Lake for the tours offered by the cruise line there, typically a transit of the Pacific locks in a small vessel, with transportation (bus or train) back to Colón to rejoin the ship.   If I'm incorrect here, again, I haven't done a partial transit, but I do read a great deal over on the Panama Port of Call board.   I would suggest you take a look over there, and perhaps ask some questions as well to get some sense of your possibilities for that day. 

Here is one thread on partial transits:

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Turtles06

When we did the partial transit, Colon was just a pick up point for people who tendered

off the ship in Gatun Lake for excursions. There were no excursions offered. 

Edited by Peachypooh

20 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

We took the kiddos with us on the Bliss 15 day sailing of the Panama Canal in April and had a great time. For 2021 I put a deposit on the Joy Panama Canal sailing. I noticed this time that Colon, Panama is on the itinerary and we didn't go there on the Bliss. What struck me was the arrival in port at 5pm and depart at 8pm. Seriously? Can this possibly be correct? I mean 3 hours? By the time the ship cleared customs and everyone disembarked it would be an almost about face with a need to get back on before leaving port. I've never seen any port on an itinerary so short if at all even possible. Has anyone experienced a short port call like this? A mistake? Thoughts?  

The ship will go to Colon to wait on passengers that took tours (those leave from inside the canal). Most of the tours are long and that is about when they begin to get back to the ship. There is really nothing to do in Colon, unless you are on a tour it is not a place to get off the ship, and tours are not offered there.

As an FYI we were on a partial this past spring, and it worked just as I described above. The place where you dock in Colon is very industrail, and except for a few shops right on the pier, it is not somewhere to go wandering around.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

My DH & I did the partial transit on the Jade in April. We spent approx 1-1 1/2hrs at the new lock then did a wildlife tour of Gatun Lake. We were dropped back at Colon for a late lunch. Most people looked at the souvenir shops and/or sat at one of the cafe's using the free wifi.

• Like 1