Back onboard

Alibobs

6 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Part of that stems from Cunard's insistence on making one night of the two-night Soton-Hamburg legs a formal night. 

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but, just to be clear, the sneaked in formal night was not part of a two nighter.

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Absolutely, I agree. 

On our recent nine nighter on QM2, largely made up of bits of other cruises, we discovered once on board that they had sneaked in a fourth formal night. I should have thought three was enough. Certainly a lot of people on the five nighter from Hamburg seem to have stuck to the buffet.

Yes, that “..bits of other cruises...” remark seems to apply frequently to Cunard:  much more rarely to other lines’ itineraries.  On our Dec. 22 to Jan 3 Caribbean round trip NY-NY, I believe there will be some already on board having completed a TA, some boarding with us who will stay on for an eastbound TA, and perhaps some who will have wanted a Caribbean warm-up as an appetizer to accompany their world cruise.

9 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but, just to be clear, the sneaked in formal night was not part of a two nighter.

Ok, in June on the two-nighter from Southampton to Hamburg the night before Hamburg disembarkation was formal, and on the two-nighter from Hamburg to Southampton the night before Southampton disembarkation was also formal. Since I didn't actually disembark in Southampton it was less of a hassle than the night before Hamburg but lots of people were disembarking and its a hassle to pack formal wear after formal night and before midnight.

These two nights were both on the dress code schedule well in advance but that doesn't mean disembarkation eves are good candidates for formal night.

Edited by Underwatr