Cirque 'con' or just poor marketing....

citizenfrank

I'm chuckling here to myself!

I've just rang MSC UK to add the 'final' piece in my next MSC cruise jigsaw (I say next cruise but you never know when you sneak something else in do you 😀)....by the way, call was straight through, no messing about, a great adviser on the other end of the phone, highly efficient and more than a pleasure to speak with with great knowledge and understanding ....MSC customer services is alive, well and fantastic so do not believe the hype!

With drinking and dining all sorted I wanted to attend the Cirque show to see how it migrates from land in Vegas to sea and because based on that experience the concept is very skilled and highly entertaining.

As we know, there are two ways to do this ...a package with food or with a drink.

Now I don't mix entertainment with eating, a massive conflict of interest there lol! Plus Mrs Frank is more than entertaining when she tucks in to her meal 😂

So, the Premium Cocktail' option at 14.00 per person it was, no problem.

But then I thought about it.... my 16 year old will only get a soda & no cocktail other than a virgin and we all have the drinks package anyway so why not just market this as a 14.00 per person admission charge!!!!

Don't misread or understand the origin of the post ....I'm more than happy with this, but poor marketing I may suggest! 

Edited by citizenfrank
  • Like 2

... Perhaps the one that already contained a response, John?!   🙄  😘

I thought it odd, alright, that I received 3 notifications from a thread I hadn't posted on!  😃

Frank ...  just regard the drink as a complimentary offering (though I get your point!)

I did, yes.  Last few weeks of June.  Decent weather, with just a bit of rain.  Did follow along a modified Wild Atlantic Way.  Two nights in Waterford (including one day watching three women attempt to clean Waterford Crystal out of stock!), one night in Cobh, two in Killarney, three in Ennis, and three in Dublin.  Got to catch up with cousins, as well as two aunts and an uncle.  It was short but a grand trip, thanks!  First time I had ever done the ferry ride from Doolin to see the Cliffs of Moher from below, and that was definitely a highlight, as was the Ring of Kerry.

11 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Delighted to hear it!  Sounds like you really got around.

It was great, Bea!  Did the "One Hour" Epic Walking Tour in Waterford City, and our last-minute tour guide turned out to be the Director himself of Waterford Treasures, Eamonn McEneaney.  The tour took us almost three hours as he just kept adding stories and using his keys to "Try this door," and "Let's see what's on the other side of this gate." He was marvelous.  A great first full day back home!  We went AirBnB and had great stays and hospitality throughout.

7 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

I'm chuckling here to myself!

I've just rang MSC UK to add the 'final' piece in my next MSC cruise jigsaw (I say next cruise but you never know when you sneak something else in do you 😀)....by the way, call was straight through, no messing about, a great adviser on the other end of the phone, highly efficient and more than a pleasure to speak with with great knowledge and understanding ....MSC customer services is alive, well and fantastic so do not believe the hype!

With drinking and dining all sorted I wanted to attend the Cirque show to see how it migrates from land in Vegas to sea and because based on that experience the concept is very skilled and highly entertaining.

As we know, there are two ways to do this ...a package with food or with a drink.

Now I don't mix entertainment with eating, a massive conflict of interest there lol! Plus Mrs Frank is more than entertaining when she tucks in to her meal 😂

So, the Premium Cocktail' option at 14.00 per person it was, no problem.

But then I thought about it.... my 16 year old will only get a soda & no cocktail other than a virgin and we all have the drinks package anyway so why not just market this as a 14.00 per person admission charge!!!!

Don't misread or understand the origin of the post ....I'm more than happy with this, but poor marketing I may suggest! 

Wow, I don't see the 'poor' marketing nor in what possible sense this is a con?  This made no sense three times.

Your complaint seems to be that for the same $14 you want them to charge strictly for admission, they give you a drink?  So is it bad marketing to give more or is it a con for them to give you more?

And the drink package has nothing really to do with it because it is just a single 'specialty' cocktail that is the same for everyone, not like ordering whatever you want from a bar.  When we went, the cocktail looked ghastly and my wife and I were able to get bottles of water instead.  And I think they only did that much for us because we were YC, although I'm not sure about that.

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

... Perhaps the one that already contained a response, John?!   🙄  😘

I thought it odd, alright, that I received 3 notifications from a thread I hadn't posted on!  😃

Frank ...  just regard the drink as a complimentary offering (though I get your point!)

As I said to John I hadn't noticed what was/is obviously a multiple post....must have experienced a mini stroke as I pressed the submit button! Agree ...the drink means nothing Bea, my point was just that IMO it should just be a flat fee, though I guess we all like the thought of something for nothing! Did you see them on Meraviglia or will you when Stateside?

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Wow, I don't see the 'poor' marketing nor in what possible sense this is a con?  This made no sense three times.

Well that told me! I'll try harder next time

Your complaint seems to be that for the same $14 you want them to charge strictly for admission, they give you a drink?  So is it bad marketing to give more or is it a con for them to give you more?
NO complaint ...at no point was that mentioned. The word 'con' was written to imply misleading (as with the u18 option that does/cannot include the same cocktail. So yes its incorrect marketing as the Cirque brand is above free gifts, particularly if they are of the 'for the masses' variety and not bespoke.

And the drink package has nothing really to do with it because it is just a single 'specialty' cocktail that is the same for everyone, not like ordering whatever you want from a bar.  When we went, the cocktail looked ghastly and my wife and I were able to get bottles of water instead.  And I think they only did that much for us because we were YC, although I'm not sure about that.
There you go 'ghastly' ...so who values such a 'gift' especially if water trumps it! Sure it was YC related ...least you would hope so I'm sure 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, citizenfrank said:

As I said to John I hadn't noticed what was/is obviously a multiple post....must have experienced a mini stroke as I pressed the submit button! Agree ...the drink means nothing Bea, my point was just that IMO it should just be a flat fee, though I guess we all like the thought of something for nothing! Did you see them on Meraviglia or will you when Stateside?

We saw Sonor so we have booked Viaggio for Oct's sailing - we were invited to a preview show where we had a glass of prosecco offered as they weren't serving the cocktail for that event.  We've booked the cocktail & show for next time;  the dinner menu doesn't appeal.

On the subject of sneaking another cruise booking in before your next booked one, I've done similar with a cruise for next May (we already have this month, Oct and Sept next year booked  🙄) which has caused a problem for me.  My passport expires in August next year and I had planned to change my name on it.  However, I had to book using the info on my current passport, but, because it won't have 6 months left on it when I sail, I have to renew it beforehand.  Because there are flights involved, I won't be allowed to change my name on the booking.  I've truly snookered myself by sneaking in another booking!   😡

(I'm pretty miffed that I have to have 6 months minimum to run on a passport for an Eastern Med cruise.  But, apparently, that's MSC's policy, regardless of what region you're sailing).

43 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We saw Sonor so we have booked Viaggio for Oct's sailing - we were invited to a preview show where we had a glass of prosecco offered as they weren't serving the cocktail for that event.  We've booked the cocktail & show for next time;  the dinner menu doesn't appeal.

On the subject of sneaking another cruise booking in before your next booked one, I've done similar with a cruise for next May (we already have this month, Oct and Sept next year booked  🙄) which has caused a problem for me.  My passport expires in August next year and I had planned to change my name on it.  However, I had to book using the info on my current passport, but, because it won't have 6 months left on it when I sail, I have to renew it beforehand.  Because there are flights involved, I won't be allowed to change my name on the booking.  I've truly snookered myself by sneaking in another booking!   😡

(I'm pretty miffed that I have to have 6 months minimum to run on a passport for an Eastern Med cruise.  But, apparently, that's MSC's policy, regardless of what region you're sailing).

Without sounded stupid ...What are your options now then????

I'm guessing given the choices the name change is the victim?

It seems to be the case.  The MSC rep (who was wonderful) said she'd write to head office to see if they'd allow me use my old passport (which will be valid for another 3 months at the time of sailing);  that was over a week ago, now, but I haven't heard anything back from her.  If we were only sailing within the EU, I'd be taking them to task on it, but we're calling to Montenegro, so I'm not so sure what the situation is there.  

I guess I'll call again (I tend to put these things on the long finger if they're not urgent - my focus is more on our upcoming cruise at the moment). 

20 hours ago, Beamafar said:

It seems to be the case.  The MSC rep (who was wonderful) said she'd write to head office to see if they'd allow me use my old passport (which will be valid for another 3 months at the time of sailing);  that was over a week ago, now, but I haven't heard anything back from her.  If we were only sailing within the EU, I'd be taking them to task on it, but we're calling to Montenegro, so I'm not so sure what the situation is there.  

I guess I'll call again (I tend to put these things on the long finger if they're not urgent - my focus is more on our upcoming cruise at the moment). 

And rightly so ...The super, supa sexy Seaview! 

• Haha 1