London- the Beverley Hotel in Westminster

Good morning,

I have booked the Beverly hotel in Westminster Due to its proximity to Victoria station in the general area.

Will be traveling to London next July and I have verified  that they have air-conditioning. 

Have any of you stayed here or recommend it?  Just looking for your input as to location and the facility.

Thanks so much.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:30 AM, orchestrapal said:

Have you read TripAdvisor. It looks to be one of those “ you get what you pay for?

Orchestralpal, I think you might be confusing the Beverley Hotel (13 Belgrave Road, SW1; rated 4.5 on Tripadvisor) with the Beverley City Hotel (142 Sussex Gardens, W2 -- i.e., Paddington; rated 2.5 on Tripadvisor).  I have no personal experience of either hotel, but I wouldn't be worried about the former, whereas I'd definitely steer well clear of the latter.

(Personally, the SW1 Beverley wouldn't be my first or even my fiftieth choice, but that's entirely a matter of individual preference.)

Its really difficult to judge what someone else might find acceptable in a hotel.  It is definitely on the budget end of the options for London.  The location is great if you want something close to a train station.  I'm not a fan of trip advisor as the ratings can be so easily manipulated but most review sites agree it is slightly above the mid point of any chosen range - which for a budget hotel is fine.  There is no restaurant or bar; and it is in a more residential type area so there won't be loads of options for dinner nearby  -  but it should be easy enough to get a cab or catch public transport. Breakfast will be continental only (no kitchen!)

I doubt the air con will be what our US Cousins consider air con.  (You see the warning on all the X Europe excursions too...).  It is not likely to be something that cools the air - but rather just moves it about.  And heats it for winter.  Which is what we tend to be more concerned about in the UK - at least until recent years!  If cooling air con is a deal breaker then that might be  worth further investigation.  Although bear in mind not many hotels at that price point will have cooling aircon either.  It just isn't that common in the UK.

58 minutes ago, GastroGnome said:

and it is in a more residential type area so there won't be loads of options for dinner nearby  -  but it should be easy enough to get a cab or catch public transport.

A hundred years ago, maybe 😀 

Many of the Georgian townhouses in that area have been converted to hotels. It’s at the top of Belgrave Road, near Eccleston Gardens, so lots of eating options - in addition to walking through to Victoria, there’s Wilton Street (including the very popular Seafresh fish & chips) and Churton Street, both of which offer a variety of eating options, just round the corner . 

OP - I don’t know the hotel, but it looks typical of dozens of such establishments in London. An old townhouse that has been converted into a hotel, so not huge rooms and any conveniences such as AC definitely retro-fitted! It seems to review well, but look elsewhere if you want a full service hotel. 

Folks,

thanks for the input. Yes I am watching the expenses as for a hotel as long as it has the basics, clean with friendly staff I am set. Size of room not an issue as we will be going on a cruise after a couple days in London so that room will undoubtedly be smaller.

The info on “air con” was helpful....although at first blush when air con when mentioned I could only thing if the Nick Cage film, haha.

i do like being so close to Victoria train station and tube station. But as a backup I have also booked the Doubletree Victoria at 2 Bridge place, also right at the station. A bit more money but not much charm more modern. 

Anyone here have any input in this hotel?

thanks again. Lydia

ps for those if you living in London I do hope it cools down a bit for all of you. 

Premier Inn Victoria has long been popular on this board. They are a mid-range group (there is another one South of the river) and they have a good reputation, especially if all you really want is a place to crash after a hard day's sightseeing.

Location, both for seeing the sights and catching a coach to Southampton, is hard to beat.

Premier Inn County Hall is better for London Eye and the Palace of Westminster. The Tower of London and Tower Bridge is a pleasant boat trip down the Thames from Westminster Pier.

1 hour ago, Lydia B. said:

Thank  you Bob.   Booked Premier Inn I do wish they had an email contact but phone only. 

When you book online you only have the option of adding the full breakfast. What I found when I got there (I stayed at the Premier Inn St. Pancras) was that they charged £2 less for the Continental Breakfast than for the full breakfast (£8.50 vs £10.50). They gave me a refund for the days that I had booked, since I don't eat anything on the full breakfast menu. Except for having a slightly better handle on what the conversion rate will be, there is no benefit to pre-booking the breakfast.

Premier inn are a good reputable basic chain.  I use them a lot when traveling on business.  Safe, secure. Good with lone travelers.  Clean.  Possibly a tiny bit soulless - but as a place to crash well priced and to my mind ideal.  Better than the Doubletree chain who I find a bit hit and miss -some are good.  Some really are not!