San Diego Help please

Ricktan

On 8/3/2019 at 9:44 AM, Ricktan said:

I don’t know why but I’m having a hard time deciding on a hotel in San Diego. .... Budget isn’t really a concern and we like nice hotels. Any suggestions? 

The Marriot Marquis SD Marina is the best choice from this thread.    It's location can't be beat.   Nice views to the bay or across the street from the Gaslamp,  down the street from Kansas City BBQ,  and if traveling lightly you could walk with your rollerbag  from the hotel to your ship at the Embarcadero along the seawalk.   Best of all,  it has the best x-large resort lagoon style pool around and serves decent poolside fare.   We live locally but we enjoy staying here and going to ballgames across the street.   A great place to start or end your cruise.

Easy parking too for rental cars,  not cheap but ok.   Easy Trolley stop in front works great with regional day pass to get around.  The Hotel Del is fine and classy but it retains a cape-code feel and you're stuck there.    The Zoo and Balboa Park are just a few blocks up Park Blvd. 

Horton Plaza fizzled out years ago and Seaport Village is on its way out,   avoid the recommendations for those two old, old points of interest remnants from 1990.

The Trolley gets you to and thru Little Italy and Old Town and we'd much rather visit those places then stay there compared to the Marriott but still they are both definitely worth seeing.   

Edited by JRG

On 8/4/2019 at 4:08 PM, DaveOKC said:

I heard from a VERY GOOD source that Horton Plaza is under new ownership and is planning on a major redevelopment.

It sure needs it.  I was very disappointed a few years ago-it was very run down.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Although torn the Marriott didn’t have the room I wanted so I ultimately decided on the Del! King room, ocean view....I’m excited. I know it means we will be on the Island but I think we will be fine with going back and forth.  We have reservations at Juniper & Ivy on Sunday night. Doing the zoo on Monday and then think we will eat dinner in Coronado Monday night. Found a couple nice restaurants with great reviews there. I think this will be a great way to end our cruise!  Thanks again for the suggestions! 

• Like 2