Regent No Longer Docking in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh)?

mrlevin

In perusing new itineraries, I noticed that Explorer is docking in container port Phu My 80 miles from central Saignon instead of sailing up the Saigon River.  When we were there on Voyager less than two years ago we still sailed up the river.  Has anyone docked at Phu My before?

Marc

I don't know the name of the port where I've docked when visiting Saigon but the only ship which can actually dock in town is the Navigator. There is a bridge which the ships need to sail under and all the others - Mariner, Voyager, Explorer and Splendor are too tall. As are most of the cruise ships today.

Peggy

• Like 2

Ok, not into the city itself, but still within a few miles.  Phu My is 80 miles away on the coast.  It looks like just the one itinerary in spring of 2021 goes to Phu My, the rest of the stops still sail up the river.

Marc

23 hours ago, xrvlcruiser said:

I don't know the name of the port where I've docked when visiting Saigon but the only ship which can actually dock in town is the Navigator. There is a bridge which the ships need to sail under and all the others - Mariner, Voyager, Explorer and Splendor are too tall. As are most of the cruise ships today.

Peggy

That's strange - I just reviewed our 2015 Grand Voyage on the Voyager (Mar-Jun) - we docked in Ho Chi Minh city 4/8/15 overnight.

@kwajgirl we were also on that cruise and our Vietnamese friends certainly had to come out to the commercial port to meet us, rather than the place where they thought we would be when we first made the arrangements.  I don't have specific names for these locations and can only talk in vague terms....maybe that's where the confusion arises?  We were disappointed because they had booked a favourite Saigon restaurant, beloved of us all, but we had to adjust plans and dine at a closer location in District 7 instead.  We still had a lovely evening with them and were simply glad to be in their company!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 11:43 AM, mrlevin said:

Ok, not into the city itself, but still within a few miles.  Phu My is 80 miles away on the coast.  It looks like just the one itinerary in spring of 2021 goes to Phu My, the rest of the stops still sail up the river.

Marc

Marc, where did you find this info. I'm on Regent Voyager next year and trying to figure out which port we're at. I'm hoping it's not Phy My.

Jamie

1 hour ago, jamieandsam said:

Marc, where did you find this info. I'm on Regent Voyager next year and trying to figure out which port we're at. I'm hoping it's not Phy My.

Jamie

Under Find My Cruise on rssc.com there is pull down menu for "ports."  If you select "Ho Chi Minh City" you will park up the Saigon river not too far from central Saigon.  If you select "Phu My (Ho Chi Minh)" you will dock at Phu My 80 miles from Saigon.  The only cruise scheduled to stop at Phu My is the Explorer in March of 2021; you are safe.

Marc

11 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Under Find My Cruise on rssc.com there is pull down menu for "ports."  If you select "Ho Chi Minh City" you will park up the Saigon river not too far from central Saigon.  If you select "Phu My (Ho Chi Minh)" you will dock at Phu My 80 miles from Saigon.  The only cruise scheduled to stop at Phu My is the Explorer in March of 2021; you are safe.

Marc

Thank you, that makes total sense.