Is there an itinerary change for the Azamara Pursuit 13 August 2019

Gitte

Hi Bonnie and cruisers on this sailing, it is true that Zakynthos has been canceled and is being replaced by Katakolon for the August 13 cruise Azamara Pursuit. I happened to read it in the roll call of our cruise. I have not received any information from Azamara or my travel agency.

It is also necessary for us Europeans to be aware of changes, so that we can adjust our excursions and plans. We usually have to discover it through a third party.  Also the previous cruise has changed, no Skiathos but Patmos.🤨 (we are b2b)

Hi Brigitte. I had a look and yes, it seems like it. I'd be disappointed. I've been to Katakolon many times and doing a Greek Intensive voyage, Zakynthos would have been a draw for me. 

Azamara seem to be making a lot of itinerary changes right now. Not sure what is up. Over promise and under deliver the way of it at the moment. And the website is wrong. The map of the itinerary clearly shows Zakynthos as a stop, but the written itinerary says Katakolon. Hopeless. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ouch, interested to know why this has happened as we are looking at a cruise next year round Greece and we are looking at it specifically to see Zakinthos and other smaller places.  I  now don't want to risk a booking if there is an ongoing problem with the reliability of Greek island itineraries.  Had too many late changes this year.

Really hope you get an answer Brigitte

• Thanks 1

I am so sorry you'll be missing Zakynthos, Brigitte.  We were on Pursuit's June 19 Greece Intensive, and Zakynthos (or Zante) was a highlight!  It is a fascinating place with varied landscapes and, in our experience, wonderfully friendly people.  Our private tour was led by Nefis Travel - we highly recommend them if you make it back to the island, OR if Azamara once again changes your itinerary ; )

• Like 1

Strange move from Azamara again. There must be a reason and Azamara should give a straight answer and NOT tell you how lucky you are that you get to go to Katakolon instead. Well, that is probably excactly what they will do. There is definately no port load issues, so it should be interesting to hear the argument. When we are in Katakolon we simply regard it as a sea day. There is nothing to do apart from Olympia.

Edited by oddjob16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

Strange move from Azamara again. There must be a reason and Azamara should give a straight answer and NOT tell you how lucky you are that you get to go to Katakolon instead. Well, that is probably excactly what they will do. There is definately no port load issues, so it should be interesting to hear the argument. When we are in Katakolon we simply regard it as a sea day. There is nothing to do apart from Olympia.

And a good duty free next to the dock!

Phil

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hi Brigitte. I had a look and yes, it seems like it. I'd be disappointed. I've been to Katakolon many times and doing a Greek Intensive voyage, Zakynthos would have been a draw for me. 

Azamara seem to be making a lot of itinerary changes right now. Not sure what is up. Over promise and under deliver the way of it at the moment. And the website is wrong. The map of the itinerary clearly shows Zakynthos as a stop, but the written itinerary says Katakolon. Hopeless. 

Phil 

Edited by Gitte

@Gitte

We also did not receive any information and regret not to see Zakyntos as this port was our reason to book the cruise. Katakolon is really not a proper substitute. So another "seaday" for us.

Aber es freut mich, dass doch auch deutschsprachige Mitreisende dabei sind.

Edited by dupe1_möve
  • Like 1

Azamara Pursuit 11-NIGHT GREECE INTENSIVE VOYAGE 13 August 2019

Get swept up in the romance of Venice before a relaxing day at sea. Your first stop is one of Europe’s best-preserved medieval cities, Kotor. Spend the day wandering the historic cobblestone streets before setting sail for the island of Corfu. A late stay means plenty of time to venture into the countryside for exquisite cuisine before returning to port.

Greece will take your breath away, but the beautiful green island of Zakynthos, with its massive limestone cliffs and surreal turquoise waters, is truly spectacular.

In the charming port of Gythion, experience warm turquoise waters, dramatically lit sea caves, and a delicious Greek frappe.

Travel back in time with a quick stop in Monemvasia before escaping to Chania. Stroll through the old city and see a mixture of diverse civilizations, with Greek, Venetian, and Ottoman influences on every corner.

Sail to the gem of the Aegean, Santorini. We stay late in this stunning port, so take your time strolling the bustling streets and volcanic beaches before finishing your day with a glass of Vinsanto and a postcard-worthy sunset.

Feel humbled at the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian in Patmos. Mykonos is your next stop, with it’s beautiful blue harbor and quaint seaside restaurants.

Your journey concludes where it all began, in the birthplace of European civilization—Athens. You’ll have one more chance to soak up the spellbinding beauty of Greece before it’s time to say Antio!

Hi Gitte,

Allow me to apologize for your disappointment.
I see on your Roll Call that TA's have been notified of the change by letter. I'll ask around to see if I can get a copy of the consumer letter that would have gone out at the same time as the TA letter and will post here for you.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Gitte,

Allow me to apologize for your disappointment.
I see on your Roll Call that TA's have been notified of the change by letter. I'll ask around to see if I can get a copy of the consumer letter that would have gone out at the same time as the TA letter and will post here for you.

7 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hi Bonnie, I just send a msg to Azamara FB msg. I received an answer.  

Hi Brigitte, letters were sent out last Thursday with this change. Due to operational issues we had to remove Zakynthos and replaced it with Katakolon. We apologize for any inconvenience. Should you have any questions contact us at 1-855-AZAMARA. Thank you.

We are on the cruise that cancelled Skiathos and replaced it with Patmos.  We did get notified but very disappointing as we were looking forward to going to Skiathos and not to an island where we were previously.  Frustrating as a few islands are repeats for us and were looking forward to more new islands.  But, Skiathos was cancelled quite some time ago and they finally added a few tours for Patmos last week.  

• Like 1

Bonnie 

Are these operational difficulties re Zakynthos and Skiathos temporary or do they impact 2020. I don’t want to push the button on a 2020 cruise now as losing ports like that would mean the booking was meaningless for us as we were planning to book specifically to get new ports. 

• Like 2

It's a pity because Zakynthos and Skiathos are new ports for Azamara and definitely an attraction for the new Greek Intensive itineraries. Both Katakolon and Patmos are very standard stops that have been done many times.  It would be interesting to know the reasoning and if it's an ongoing issue they'll have. 

Phil 

• Like 3

This change of itinerary is a big disappointment for us too (loosing a new port, being replaced by a well visited, far from new port)... it follows a change on our future Black Sea cruise too where 3 new ports were removed and 3 previously visited ports have been added.

On both occasions it is has been CC that has provided the communication.

Really don't like these changes, the communication is quite frankly poor. When you pay Azamara prices we expect better.

☹️👎

• Like 2

To Azamara it may not seem significant to change a port or two but there are many customers that specifically book cruises because of the ports.  Skiathos was a new port for us and part of the reason we chose this cruise.  It was replaced with a port we have been to and now we have no new islands on this cruise, but in fairness,  we still have three new ports on mainland Greece.  I understand about weather, political unrest and passenger safety forcing changes.  We have been on cruises that have had many ports canceled or changed due to those reasons.  But, when Azamara announces new ports and customers book because they are new,  I find it very difficult to understand why the port gets canceled months in advance.  Didn't anyone do their homework?  If they did not have the facilities or capabilities to handle the ship then it should have never been marketed and sold to us. We are booked on a back to back but would not have booked this first cruise without going to at least one new island.  Unfortunately, flights were booked and final payment was made.  This just adds to our growing dissatisfaction with the price for the product that Azamara is offering.  We booked well in advance and since the final payment date the prices have dropped with a last minute sale.        

• Like 5

I totally get where nonrev is coming from. We had to keep a significantly altered second leg earlier this year with late alterations surrounded by late bookers. It hurts. And it hurts to hear despite assurances about it being a one off here we go again. 

Im still no wiser why the change is anyone?  I want to understand given a booking im looking at for 2020. A competitor has an itinerary that also appeals and at a better price so I’m thinking I might be better to bin my free nights as I’m getting out of time with them

rather than risk again. 

Anyone know what’s going on? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I totally get where nonrev is coming from. We had to keep a significantly altered second leg earlier this year with late alterations surrounded by late bookers. It hurts. And it hurts to hear despite assurances about it being a one off here we go again. 

Im still no wiser why the change is anyone?  I want to understand given a booking im looking at for 2020. A competitor has an itinerary that also appeals and at a better price so I’m thinking I might be better to bin my free nights as I’m getting out of time with them

rather than risk again. 

It seems that total incompetence by the Azamara planning department is what is going on.

"Operational issues" is a reason that is unattackable. It encompasses just about everything. 

(We can all agree that the patient died of heart failure, but what caused the heart to stop is imperativ) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, uktog said:

rather than risk again. 

What is wrong with late bookers? And what constitutes a late booker! 

There are many types of late bookers.  Many you don’t know who they are and that’s not an issue.  However and I know I’m not alone, on some cruises after final payment the price is slashed and placed with agencies who either sell to the trade or run bargain cruises. Unfortunately the bargain hunters may not understand what cruising is about and some can be very keen to tell everyone what they paid.  Some have done no research on the itinerary and then moan they don’t like things. 

Its hard when you keep hearing a loud mouth at the bar boasting they paid x for their suite when you paid 2x for your balcony. That’s all. 

However to come back to the key point of the thread, what’s happening with the Greek itineraries now and next year?  

7 hours ago, uktog said:

There are many types of late bookers.  Many you don’t know who they are and that’s not an issue.  However and I know I’m not alone, on some cruises after final payment the price is slashed and placed with agencies who either sell to the trade or run bargain cruises. Unfortunately the bargain hunters may not understand what cruising is about and some can be very keen to tell everyone what they paid.  Some have done no research on the itinerary and then moan they don’t like things. 

Its hard when you keep hearing a loud mouth at the bar boasting they paid x for their suite when you paid 2x for your balcony. That’s all. 

However to come back to the key point of the thread, what’s happening with the Greek itineraries now and next year?  

Cheers. We have been on both sides (early booked and late deal). Whether we get a good deal or feel we may have overpaid we keep this to ourselves. 

• Like 3