Another RCI vs. NCL thread :-)

Extra Kim

We are looking for a longer cruise (  or two/three B2B) for 2021. April would be ideally, but we are flexible between Nov 2020 to May 2021.

We normaly sail with Royal and have been on all of their different ship classes, except for the Quantum class and Empress. We have sailed on the Celebrity Solstice class two times, we have sailed on MSC Meraviglia and Seaview and I have sailed on NCL Epic but that was back in 2011.

I didn't find much that was appealing to me when it came to Royal (more or less only Vision and Explorer that made longer then 7nts). I don't want to sail in Europe and it needs to be warm and have nice beaches.

On the other hand NCL had some that looked nice.

How does the older NCL ships compare to the Royal ship of the same time era? I found the experience on Epic to be similar to similar Royal ships (Freedom-class and newer). 

How does the older NCL ships compare to the Vision-class and Radiance-class?

1 hour ago, Extra Kim said:

How does the older NCL ships compare to the Vision-class and Radiance-class?

My experience with older NCL ships was Dawn and Sky.  Frankly, I think RCI is better.  IMO, RCI ships are nicer and far less crowded.  I would cruise a RCI Radiance Class ship any day over an older NCL ship.  In fact, I swore I'd never sail a NCL ship again that's older than Breakaway. 

Entertainment, on the other hand, is right on par with RCI's older ships.  Same types of shows, same game shows, pool games, etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

We normaly sail with Royal and have been on all of their different ship classes, except for the Quantum class

I’ll strongly recommend the Quantum Class - my favorite ships. 

We are normally traveling 3 to 4 weeks - including a reposition cruise where we stay at a resort/hotel both at the start and end of the cruise. 

Edited by hallasm

44 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I’ll strongly recommend the Quantum Class - my favorite ships. 

We are normally traveling 3 to 4 weeks - including a reposition cruise where we stay at a resort/hotel both at the start and end of the cruise.

I can't find any longer cruise on the Quantum Class, besides Vancouver to Honolulu and Honolulu to Sydney that have the kind of ports of call that I'm looking for. We are doing Vancouver to Honolulu on Radiance this year, since Radiance had more ports of call.

8 hours ago, Aquahound said:

In fact, I swore I'd never sail a NCL ship again that's older than Breakaway. 

Even if the ports of call are great and the cost of the cruise isn't that bad?

I think one of the cruises was on Jade.